I have really been hankering for an octave up sound, mostly that synthy tone like on some Greatful Dead tracks or maybe a bit like Jack white but a little less "cheap/ flat" sounding.

I don't care about true bypass or tone sucking (unless it sucks while its on) but would like to put it in my chain, I don't mind rack mounts either or used. I really dug the pitch glide on a newer line 6 spider amp despite being anti-line 6.

My main contenders:
Digitech whammy IV or V
Zoom G3 (I just care about pitch shift but the looper makes this attractive for practice)
Line 6 M5/M9
TC electronics G Major
Digitech ips 33b

I appreciate any other suggestions too, (besides Ps-5 &6 I just don't like the metallic fake sound)

Thanks!
Whammy 5 if you just want it for shifting.

M9 if you want a bunch of stuff.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
Whammy 5 if you just want it for shifting.

M9 if you want a bunch of stuff.

All I really want is shifting, I would appreciate a looper for practicing alone and maybe some overdrives/ 'studio' compressors but that (octave up) is all I really care about

P.S. Anyone try some of these they can compare (especially the racks?)
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at Apr 11, 2013,
digitech whammy? when I was going to order a pitch shifter that was the one that came to mind.
Fender | Peavey | Epiphone | Hohner | Ernie Ball | Planet Waves | Jim Dunlop | Marshall | Lee Oskar | Traynor | Suzuki | Jackson

Compulsive gear buyer
The Whammy V looks pretty good but I would like some input on the G Major (and other octave ups), I heard it was excellent for octaves.

I was leaning towards the Whammy anyways (can't find much about the others...)
Can't believe no one's mentioned the Micro POG. Best octaver ever.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
pog is a little different to the whammy and such though. still amazing in its own right, but the whammy is a pure octave up unlike the pog which kinda tries to get there but never makes it.
mojostompboxes.com
If I am not mistaken the Whammy can track single notes really well and will provide an amazing pitch shift pedal; however if you are looking to do polyphonic pitch shifting (chords) then you will need something like the POG or Micro Pog. But yeah if it is just for single note stuff I am fairly sure the industry standard is the Whammy pedal.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
If I am not mistaken the Whammy can track single notes really well and will provide an amazing pitch shift pedal; however if you are looking to do polyphonic pitch shifting (chords) then you will need something like the POG or Micro Pog. But yeah if it is just for single note stuff I am fairly sure the industry standard is the Whammy pedal.

yah basically that.

although the whammy DT tracks poly.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by ne14t

yeah, I don't care much about polyphonics much but I would like it to be able to handle doublestops or maybe triads

I don't care if its not perfect, I just don't want it to sound like shit. I'm kinda looking for something like the MXR bluebox but no fuzz and octave up
The new whammy has a chord mode, and I have the IV and it's awesome, get the Whammy V.
The difference between the Whammy V and the DT is that you can switch between polyphonic tracking and classic tracking on the V while the DT is always polyphonic and you have the whole drop tune/capo side.

To plug the DT, they go for pretty cheap (like $220) on Ebay brand new; that's where I got mine http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=whammy+dt&_sacat=0&_from=R40
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
The difference between the Whammy V and the DT is that you can switch between polyphonic tracking and classic tracking on the V while the DT is always polyphonic and you have the whole drop tune/capo side.

To plug the DT, they go for pretty cheap (like $220) on Ebay brand new; that's where I got mine http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=whammy+dt&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Wow! I actually ruled out the DT because I thought it was like $500, I also have heard though that the DT has some issues. Anyways, does that mean that the DT is more 'realistic' and doesn't have that synthy sound? Because I am actually kindof going for the synthy/ slightly broken sound...
What issues have you heard of? I've had expression pedal calibration issues, but it has instructions in the manual on how to fix that. It takes like 30 seconds and its back to normal. Happens rarely though.

Its octave up (on both sides) doesn't really sound like a "real" octave up, especially on higher registers. It does have a synthy sound.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
What issues have you heard of? I've had expression pedal calibration issues, but it has instructions in the manual on how to fix that. It takes like 30 seconds and its back to normal. Happens rarely though.

Its octave up (on both sides) doesn't really sound like a "real" octave up, especially on higher registers. It does have a synthy sound.

I think I read somewhere that it was a tone sucker (I'm using a looper anyways) other than that I just remember some negativity about it, now that it seems to be a good fit its hard to choose between DT and V, I do like the choice to switch modes on the V though.

Other than that I think that the G-Major is still an good option too, I watched some more demos and the octave up sounds great to me.
It's switchable between true bypass and DSP bypass operation, if that makes it any better. But the switching between modes sounds like it'd be useful to you, so as long as you don't need drop tuning/capo emulation, so for the V. Don't know how cheap it goes for, though.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
whammy 5. don't get the whammy 4, the 5 is superior in so many ways. doesn't have to be calibrated, runs on DC instead of AC, true bypass, and has the polyphonic/classic switch. and is a smidgeon smaller.
According to the manual for the V, it does need calibration from time to time, as much as the DT would I assume. Page 13 in here: http://digitech.com/system/documents/982/original/Whammy_Manual_5021752-A.pdf?1340215173
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Whammy 5 all the way, I own micropog too, watch a few YouTube clips, you'll know which one for you straight away
The DT is true bypass, no tone suck. And is the G-Major with controller/expression pedal really in your budget?
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
The DT is true bypass, no tone suck. And is the G-Major with controller/expression pedal really in your budget?

Yes, the original is (most recent is white Gmaj2), I can get one for around $200 with the pedal

Right now its between the Whammy 5 and the G major