Hello, I wanna buy a Strat to cover some Pink Floyd songs; however, I can't afford a Fender. Are Squiers any good? Also which model would be similar sounding to Gilmour's?
Look up Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified, then try one out if you can. The amp and effects will play more into Gilmour's tone than the guitar.
OffsetOffset
Like Steve said, the CV or the VM are the only ones to look at. You may be able to get a used MiM Fender for a similar price.

What amp do you have?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
Like Steve said, the CV or the VM are the only ones to look at. You may be able to get a used MiM Fender for a similar price.

What amp do you have?

A Roland Cube 15 XL and a Line 6 POD XT multi-effect.
I'm a big fan of Squiers, even the Bullets and Affinitys. You don't need to get one of the higher-priced Squiers to get a good guitar, but no matter which one you get, you will almost surely need a proper set-up.
Quote by ahesham
Great. What would you recommend, CV 50's or CV 60's?

Either one, really. I think they're similar enough that you can choose by your color preference.

Sure, there are some differences. The 50s has a maple fretboard, while the 60s has rosewood, but i personally think there's very little difference between the two. I think the pickups might be slightly different too, with the 50s being a lower output, but I could be wrong about that.

I have a CV50s and its quite the player.
ok, just checked the Squier website and yes, the pickups are different. The CV50s has alnico 3 magnets, while the CV60s has alnico 5 magnets.

I think you can go with either, but the CV60s might be closer to Gilmour's. You could also get either one and then put a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/pickup-reviews/seymour-duncan-ssl-5-hot-vintage-pure-single-coils/
Last edited by peskypesky at Apr 13, 2013,
I have 2 Squier Strats here at the moment, a 1999 and a 2000, both affinity strats and both of them are fantastic guitars, perfect intonation, really low action with no dead notes. With that in mind there is nothing wrong with the Affinity series.

But sure, if you're going to buy one then you might aswell splash out for the higher quality stuff if you have the money to spend, don't be afraid to get an Affinity if you're trying to keep the price down though, if they are anything like those 99/00 era guitars then they are fantastic.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
That's great. But why does the CV 60 sound more like Gilmour's Strat?
I have the 50's it is honestly amazing for the money, seriously. I could see myself playing it as something to hold me over until I could get a Fender Standard for like 10-15 years.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by ahesham
That's great. But why does the CV 60 sound more like Gilmour's Strat?

I think either one can get you a Gilmour-esque tone...but the pickups on the CV60s are a bit hotter than the ones on the CV50s, and the pickups in the Gilmour signature model are hot. The magnets in the CV60s are alnico V, like the ones in the Gilmour model.
Last edited by peskypesky at Apr 15, 2013,