I was just wondering how fast a musician should be able to learn a piece of music. I have heard kids in my school say how they learned a hard piece of [damnspambotlinks ] music in a week, or a day, even a few hours. So if someone wanted to be a really experienced musician how long should it take them to learn a really hard piece of music?
Um, it depends.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
anything over 45 seconds means you are naff and should quit guitar.... and burn all your gear
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
^what is up with that post?

There's no hard and fast rule. It takes as long as it takes and it's not worth worrying over whether someone can learn a piece faster than you. It is not really a yardstick for how good you are.

Having said that it is often very impressive to a lot of people when you can hear a song and pick it up straight away. You can achieve this through constant practice at learning songs by ear. The more you learn songs by ear the better your ear gets and the quicker you get at hearing what the musicians are doing and are able to copy it on your instrument.

Just make sure that for at least 15-20 minutes everyday you are trying to learn a song by ear alone. -If you turn that up to 2-3 hours per day the extra time may not seem to make a difference at first but will in the long run.
Si
It gets easier as you go on. There is no maximum time for learning a hard song, sometimes it may take days or weeks to get it comfortable, and some songs may come easier then others. For example learning a shred piece may be easier then learning a hard-ish fingerpicking piece if you've never fingerpicked in your life, or vice versa.
It's about how you define "learning a song". And what is a difficult song. Different things are difficult for different people. But if they say they have learned a hard piece in a couple of hours, does that mean that they can go onstage and play it in front of 100 people with no mistakes? But really, there are no rules. It takes time to learn a song. Some people are faster, some are slower. And you get better in learning more difficult songs when your skills improve. I wouldn't really care about it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 12, 2013,
There's a different between learning the song and playing the song. They might be able to play it, but there's no way they can learn it in a couple days. All the nuances that really make the piece take hours, and hours of practice. I know people who are amazing musicians that will take weeks to prepare a piece just for one show their playing because, while they can play all the notes in a couple days, they don't really KNOW the piece.
There's a lot of variables involved, but (as a rule) I would say comparing how quickly you learn a song vs. how quickly someone else learns a song...that shouldn't matter. Don't compare yourself to others. However, it might be easier for someone who has played an instrument for a longer time period to learn a song.
If a professional jazz-player would have to learn a piece of guitar rendition of Bach it would take a long time I guess..
If a professional classical-player would have to learn some freaky jazz it would take also a bit of time..

I think the knowledge of the fretboard plays a big role, but also your flexibility (literally and figurative) of playing music genres is important.
I would say, a week if training every day for at least two hours. First two/three days to get the song in your head.. all the other days on mastering it.

What is "hard" btw?
Quote by Pearlsaul
I have heard kids in my school say how they learned a hard piece of Vestidos de festa music in a week, or a day, even a few hours. So if someone wanted to be a really experienced musician how long should it take them to learn a really hard piece of music?

here's a tip

kids are full of shit, guitarists are full of shit, kids with guitars are supremely full of shit

there are so many variables in every aspect of answering this question that it's literally pointless to think about it because mental energy would be better spent doing anything else
Quote by AmirT
If a professional jazz-player would have to learn a piece of guitar rendition of Bach it would take a long time I guess..
If a professional classical-player would have to learn some freaky jazz it would take also a bit of time..

huh
Last edited by :-D at Apr 12, 2013,
omg that was very well played. Perhaps we should keep it around to start interesting discussions whilst promoting brazilian fashion stores.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
omg that was very well played. Perhaps we should keep it around to start interesting discussions whilst promoting brazilian fashion stores.

Wow...well done, adbot.
A really experienced musician should ideally be able to sightread. So some classical pieces could be played on the spot.

For most musicians, however, it could take a week to truly learn a fairly difficult piece. Kids that say they can learn it in a day or two normally show with their sloppiness.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Best adbot ever.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Yeah... I remembered that there was a similar thread some time ago and I wondered why somebody is asking exactly the same questions.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115