koslack
624 IQ
Where do you guys fall on this debate? My band is talking about hitting the studio to do a 3 song EP, and we're discussing whether to print a run of CDs, but we're wondering if it's even worth it, considering all the music hosting websites out there.

Part of me thinks there's still something intangible about having a physical object that people can hold, which will make our band more memorable. On the other hand, the way people consume music has changed drastically - a free download could be just as effective.
What do you guys think?
Vulgar Rocker
122 IQ
Well I think you should use both. I like to hold a CD in my hand but other people like to download it on their phone.

Sell your CDs at your Gigs and offer a free download song on your website.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Definitely both, but if you have to go one way or the other go with a CD.

There are loads of people who don't like downloads, and the people who do like them can just rip the files from the CD (probably at a higher quality than some download sites)
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
purplecashew
55 IQ
it depends on your genre, in my opinion. if you're a super-indie-fuzz-folk band, your fans would be more willing to get a CD than if you played most forms of metal.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
^^^ Yeah coz nobody buys metal on a CD anymore am I right? Only old peoples music and hairy girl music is on CD yeah!

What trash. I personally prefer CDs because I can play them in my car, which is where I do the vast majority of my music listening.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution
1,627 IQ
you have to have some hard copies of your music. Though I think it's not the main way for musicians to make the bulk of their money anymore. But having some to do package deals, with shirts and other merch is a good way to still sell some.
koslack
624 IQ
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Yeah coz nobody buys metal on a CD anymore am I right? Only old peoples music and hairy girl music is on CD yeah!

What trash. I personally prefer CDs because I can play them in my car, which is where I do the vast majority of my music listening.

When I'm in a car, I hook up my iPod via bluetooth, as do most people I know.

I'm agreeing with what a lot of people are saying about enjoying having a physical copy, but you also have to look at the financial side. Putting some songs online costs nothing. Getting a pressing of CDs can cost a few hundred bucks. Since we're not really gunning for a record deal here - we take the band seriously, but it ain't exactly my number one career priority - cost needs to be taken into account, too.
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
647 IQ
From my experience people at gigs will have no problem for throwing a few dollars for a CD versus actually following through and going nonlinear to download. My band does both and has a pay what you want option online. Some people pay some don't but we sell more CDs at show than downloads.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by koslack
When I'm in a car, I hook up my iPod via bluetooth, as do most people I know.

Well Mr Fancypants my car doesn't have bluetooth compatibility, as do most people I know. Perhaps we mix in different social circles.

If I opt to listen through my phone, I have to use one of those FM reciever things and the sound quality is nowhere near having a CD.
Soundcloud
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
I would have an issue buying an unsigned band's download. One of my favourite bands had a download only single, and I didn't want to buy that, which should tell you a lot! As a musician, I'd never call a release complete unless it has CD pressings, because that's what people will want. Besides, if you play a great concert, people will want to buy your CD, if I saw a brilliant band live, and they said 'Download our music on Itunes!', chances are, I wouldn't, in fact, I'd probably forget about them very quickly.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
koslack
624 IQ
Quote by AlanHB
Well Mr Fancypants my car doesn't have bluetooth compatibility, as do most people I know. Perhaps we mix in different social circles.

If I opt to listen through my phone, I have to use one of those FM reciever things and the sound quality is nowhere near having a CD.

Well, there you go. I think you'd have to agree that CDs are becoming obsolete. Most cars - the place where statistically, people consume most of their music - come standard with a bluetooth connection now, or at the very least an aux in you can hook an iPod up to. From my view, why spend money on a medium that becomes less relevant literally with every passing day? In a few years, it will literally like doing a pressing run of 8 tracks.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
^^^ No doubt. In the end its all about cash, but the issue is actually getting people on to itunes to pay/download away from the impulse buy of the gig..

Perhaps to rectify this problem you can charge $1 a song code and give it to them on a card or something at he gig. That way you get the cash even if they don't download it. Sorry if this method doesn't work with iTunes, but basically you don't want to drop the impulse buy advantage.
Soundcloud
flexiblemile
2,176 IQ
Print the cheapest possible cds you can. like bureau en gros blank cds that you buy in bulk with your band name written in a sharpie but give out millions of them. Like hand them out in the metro, leave them in piles in restaurants, give 'em to hobos on st-catherine etc.

If you put your website/email on the cd, it'll come back to you in publicity. Imagine how many blank cds you can get for 250$? Take a couple of hours to burn them then sow them to the winds
danresn
71 IQ
I would also print some CDs. Chances are they will forget your name and only look for it if they really loved your set. By printing a CD it might allow for them to at least hold onto your CD just so they are reminded of your name, even if its only a single and then they have the name to go look up for the rest of the EP.
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith
688 IQ
I guess I'm weird in that if I go to a show and like the band, I'll whip out my phone and buy their music on the spot.

Personally I'd agree with the small Spanish child and do both. No sense in alienating either source of income.
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
Why not burn an audio/data cd? Have the songs on it in standard format and in MP3's. I dont know why more bands don't do this.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by gorkyporky
Why not burn an audio/data cd? Have the songs on it in standard format and in MP3's. I dont know why more bands don't do this.

Because you can rip the standard files from a CD at a higher quality than most MP3s?
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
Because you can rip the standard files from a CD at a higher quality than most MP3s?

Most people don't even know how to rip tracks from cds. And then there s the manual naming of all the tracks after you are done.
We shouldn't assume all people are audiophiles or have the same amount of knowledge about how and what can be done with music. Having MP3s on the cd is way easier and more convenient for an average user. And high quality mp3s arent much worse than cda files. Or you can even put on flac files.
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith
688 IQ
Quote by gorkyporky
Most people don't even know how to rip tracks from cds.

I wouldn't say that. iTunes makes it literally a one-click process. That said, I'd wager few people can tell the difference between high-quality files and low-quality files, unless the files are so low-quality that they sound like Chiptunes.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by gorkyporky
Most people don't even know how to rip tracks from cds. And then there s the manual naming of all the tracks after you are done.
We shouldn't assume all people are audiophiles or have the same amount of knowledge about how and what can be done with music. Having MP3s on the cd is way easier and more convenient for an average user. And high quality mp3s arent much worse than cda files. Or you can even put on flac files.

Seriously?

Can't speak for other OS's, but with Windows you put the CD in & the media player opens automatically and names the tracks for you. You then click the button that says 'Rip'.

Anyone who can't do that probably doesn't know how to download either.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
And yet people download stuff all the time, and almost nobody rips tracks. And even if they do, its still a bigger hassle then just taking mp3s of a cd.
Bigbazz
122 IQ
With a CD you can rip WAV quality (raw audio quality), which is higher than MP3, or you can rip MP3 if that doesn't bother you.

This is how I do it.

1. Insert CD
2. Windows will ask what I want to do with it, choose the default option of opening with Windows Media Player.
3. Click "Rip CD". All information, song names, album etc is automatically done if you're ripping to MP3.

Thats it, it's no more difficult than copying MP3 files off of a CD.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 20, 2013,
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
I. Know. I rip cds all the time. I know its easy as hell. But you guys underestimage how stupid people are. I get asked almost every week about "How do I get songs from this cd to my computer?".

Again, yes, i know its easy. I know you can have higher quality files. BUT PEOPLE STILL DON'T DO IT.
Banjocal
UG's only only
1,174 IQ
I much prefer it when smaller bands make hand made CD-Rs at budget level, but put LOADS of effort into making them. Just go on Bandcamp and look at some of the bands that do it.