Page 1 of 2
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
hey guys

ok first off i know i don't have the best amp or pedal for this but i am just in a phase of playing some pantera stuff and really want to get that killer tone happening.

i have a vox ac15 and a bad monkey,

is there a cheap way to get this tone i know he uses randall amps but i am not really wanting to spend too much on this as i don't usually play stuff like this.

is it a distortion pedal or something i can get?

i am aware of his tuning's aswell

cheers in advance
Last edited by bigfyt at Apr 12, 2013,
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
Scoop them mids

my vox is only rocking treble and bass knobs and a tone cut master knob.

doesn't go to 11 either
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Put a dozen cats in a bag and beat them against a wall.

PS kiddies. That was a joke. DON'T do that. That'd be baad, mmmkay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Mids: 0
Gain: 11

FTFY

Seriously TS, unless you can scoop the mids theres not much you can do. Though I guess you could get some distortion pedal with midrange control. Metal Muff maybe?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Gain: 10

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

^ Check there or post there.

Reported.

thanks will definatly spend some time looking through that.

however my amp isnt gain driven at all and the bad monkey only goes so far is there any hardware that is cheap and would fit in seamlessly

just saw the metal muff post cheers
Last edited by bigfyt at Apr 12, 2013,
Sputnik1
He's A Thread Killer
30 IQ
Save your money on a new amp. As you clearly know you are not going to get that tone with a Vox AC15.
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
Quote by Sputnik1
Save your money on a new amp. As you clearly know you are not going to get that tone with a Vox AC15.

i don't usually play metal so i don't really want a new amp
Sputnik1
He's A Thread Killer
30 IQ
I don't usually play metal but when I do I want to sound the worst.
godgrinder
50 IQ
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/th_product/rg13/
Wait for this thing to come out.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
You'll never get there unless you spend some cash.

His tone came from a lot of cash and a lot of practice.

You wont get there with your current gear but you can get closer by spending some money. At the very least you'll need a new amp.

If you never play metal then don't worry and just learn his stuff.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
140 IQ
A randall warhead and some bill lawrence xl500s. Bamm, dime tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil

If you never play metal then don't worry and just learn his stuff.

Thats why I recommended distortion pedal. If quality does not really matter a dedicated distortion will work, it will atleast produce a sound that is close enough. Hell, even Boss MT2 will do the trick.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
strange you want to sound the worst sputnik

yeh im after mainly getting closer to it than what my tone range allows without paying alot of money.

ill look into some kinda distortion pedal with a mid control to get abit closer
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
A Suhr Riot may be worth having a look at. May be a bit rich but if you scoop the amp enough it'd probably get you close enough for ****ing around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
A Suhr Riot may be worth having a look at. May be a bit rich but if you scoop the amp enough it'd probably get you close enough for ****ing around.

His amp does have a 3 way EQ and so does not Suhr Riot. Plus its unnecessarily expensive for for just effing around, atleast here in europe.

So I still recommend checking out Metal Muff. It seems versatile enough. If your Vox takes pedals well that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ujrfOUmpM

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 12, 2013,
gumbilicious
beginner
250 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
if you scoop the amp enough it'd probably get you close enough for ****ing around.

Quote by MaaZeus
unless you can scoop the mids theres not much you can do.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
Gain: 10

Quote by Addonexus408
Scoop them mids

evidently all your vox ac15 needs to sound like dimebag is a mids knob... so you can turn it down.

i like the 'crappy metal distortion pedal' idea (i think a metal zone in particular was suggested), that is one way of sounding like a raged out solid state amp (or buzzsaw).

if you really want dime's tone then i'd suggest a amp with a huge solid state power section. the amp needs to be high gain or you'll need to buy a pedal with a metal tone. you'd probably want a big cab with a couple speakers with lots of power handling.

that above description is just about the exact opposite of your ac15. so buy a metalzone
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 12, 2013,
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
the heaviest i would usually would play would be guns and roses stuff, i usually like blues, rock nice overdriven tones.

however

i started learning hollow then cowboys from hell, then started playing on my amp not just my griffin connect and couldn't match the tone even close,

ill try find some shitty cheap metal pedal with a mid control and have a go at it,

the bad monkey needs alot more gain but yes?
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
110 IQ
Just buy this pedal. It will get you partially there. The AC series really sounds like an AC type amp, and will color the shit out of the sound.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/8350830177006046530?q=dime%20distortion&hl=en&sqi=2&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45175338,d.b2I&biw=1278&bih=614&sa=X&ei=jRloUf6vO8W62gXTuIGgDg&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAA

This is your cheapest option, aside from finding an old Randal SS amp. RG series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
P_Trik
UnBanned
5,669 IQ
Quote by bigfyt
hey guys

ok first off i know i don't have the best amp or pedal for this but i am just in a phase of playing some pantera stuff and really want to get that killer tone happening.

i have a vox ac15 and a bad monkey,

Hey bigfyt! I have a Lado Guitar with the same Bill Lawrence Humbucker that Dime had in his Dean. I'm sure you can find interviews with him where he talks about this pickup and how much he felt his sound came from it. From my own experience with this pickup, I have yet to get the same sound out of another guitar that I get using the Lado with the Bill Lawrence.

I'm sure there's more magic down the signal chain and every component is important, but google Dime and Bill Lawrence, see if you can see what he said about it.
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by P_Trik
Hey bigfyt! I have a Lado Guitar with the same Bill Lawrence Humbucker that Dime had in his Dean. I'm sure you can find interviews with him where he talks about this pickup and how much he felt his sound came from it. From my own experience with this pickup, I have yet to get the same sound out of another guitar that I get using the Lado with the Bill Lawrence.

I'm sure there's more magic down the signal chain and every component is important, but google Dime and Bill Lawrence, see if you can see what he said about it.

I think Dime had the Bill Lawrence pup wrong way around too for more low-end. The Duncan Dimebucker is a cheap imitation of it, but its close enough according to some who have compared them.

Buuut I doubt TS is willing to go that far that he would change his pickups just to get Dime sound. I'd rather change the amp first, Randall Warhead or RG100ES (or Dime D100 or Randall RG1503) and add the pup last as finishing touch. IF I'd ever start a Pantera cover band that is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
290 IQ
You can find old Randall amps for <$100 a lot of the time, just keep that in mind, TS. There is a Randall RG80ES combo right now on my Craigslist for around that, Dime tone for days.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
ne14t
210 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
You can find old Randall amps for <$100 a lot of the time, just keep that in mind, TS. There is a Randall RG80ES combo right now on my Craigslist for around that, Dime tone for days.

Find an old used Randall solid state amp, thats what he used up until Damageplan I believe. Or grab an MXR 10 way EQ pedal and some sort of heavy metal ultra gain pedal (if you dont have one already) and I am sure you could get that Vox close, not perfect but close. Heck I think MXR even has a Dime distortion pedal that is made to mimic the tone, check into that as well. MXR Fullbore Metal does a good impression of the heavily scooped metal sound, also worth checking out, I know from first hand on that one.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
The Neighbor of the Beast
90 IQ
Ducktape a few kittens together an use them as picks.
Dime didn't have tone.. he had skillz.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
290 IQ
Quote by ne14t
Find an old used Randall solid state amp, thats what he used up until Damageplan I believe. Or grab an MXR 10 way EQ pedal and some sort of heavy metal ultra gain pedal (if you dont have one already) and I am sure you could get that Vox close, not perfect but close. Heck I think MXR even has a Dime distortion pedal that is made to mimic the tone, check into that as well. MXR Fullbore Metal does a good impression of the heavily scooped metal sound, also worth checking out, I know from first hand on that one.

I think that buying an old Randall amp would be cheaper or near as cheap as any one decent or even sub-par distortion pedal, particularly the MXR Fullbore or Dime distortion.

TS, I don't think you realize how cheap you can find old Randalls. I got a RH200 (would also be good for you) for $150 from a shop, and that is average price, I have seen them and the RH100 models lower.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Way Cool JR.
120 IQ
Quote by P_Trik

I have a "Maximum Guitar" magazine I got back in '97 With a big Pantera spread on their songs and Dimebag's tone.

Dimebag quoted "The bridge position Lawrence (L500XL) pickup is really the key to my sound. On the treble strings, it's a bitch-it almost sounds like you're running a crybaby wah with the pedal pushed down. And it's really thick and chunky on the bass strings."

Also from the article: Cowboys From Hell was recorded with Randall RG-100s, as was The Great Southern Trendkill. For all years in between, he relied on Randall Century 200s for his brutal attack.

Favorite effects he used: Digitech Whammy, MXR Flanger, EHX Small Stone, EHX Big Muff, EHX Electric Mistress flange.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is all info from Dime himself
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Apr 12, 2013,
cfhdomination
120 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think that buying an old Randall amp would be cheaper or near as cheap as any one decent or even sub-par distortion pedal, particularly the MXR Fullbore or Dime distortion.

TS, I don't think you realize how cheap you can find old Randalls. I got a RH200 (would also be good for you) for $150 from a shop, and that is average price, I have seen them and the RH100 models lower.

Listen to this man. I got a Randall RG100 for 180 bucks and I run it through a Randall RX412 cab. In total, it was about 300 bucks for the complete setup. I ran my guitar straight through the amp, no pedals or anything to boost the signal, and I was able to nail the Dime tone right off the bat. I freaking love that old amp! I play mostly Down/Crowbar type stuff and it's perfect for that type of music.
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah so whole you arm eoddin this stupid forum i am moddin IRL bitch
Last edited by cfhdomination at Apr 12, 2013,
bigfyt
guitar?
80 IQ
so a used randall rg100 is going to work out same price as buying pedals and is going to get me the high gain mid control.

i know dimebag had killer skills,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Yeah, if you want to do it right, buy a SS Randall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by bigfyt
so a used randall rg100 is going to work out same price as buying pedals and is going to get me the high gain mid control.

If you can find a used one, yes. Either that or Dime D100 which to my knowledge is Deans clone of that amp. Cashing on Dimebags name propably but atleast they got something right. Both cost peanuts on used market. Start looking, you may get lucky. Definetly a better option than distortion pedal.

There is also Randall RG1503 which (to my knowledge) is hotrodded version of that amp, adding another gain channel and more watts. Still relatively new so its unlikely you find one used, and new one is about 350€. But could be worth it if you want to save up a bit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 12, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
1,300 IQ
buy a RG100ES, there were two the last time i walked out of a new local shop (everything is used there), i have owned two in the past and sold them. one had issues the other one needed a cap job and i didn't want to do it.

but one is at $100 the other is at $150, but the cheaper one is in rougher shape and doesn't come with a footswitch. i almost brought one with me, but i decided it wasn't what i wanted then. they are probably still there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
dkunick
Waco
20 IQ
Buy a used Whammy, down a few Blacktooth Grins, tear a few holes in your speaker, max treble and bass controls to effectively scoop your tone, done.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
cfhdomination
120 IQ
Quote by bigfyt

Exactly. Now go out and find one!
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah so whole you arm eoddin this stupid forum i am moddin IRL bitch
Sputnik1
He's A Thread Killer
30 IQ
Quote by bigfyt
strange you want to sound the worst sputnik

yeh im after mainly getting closer to it than what my tone range allows without paying alot of money.

ill look into some kinda distortion pedal with a mid control to get abit closer

Good lord you must be dense and clueless. Why hasn't this thread been closed yet?!
ragingkitty
meow?
190 IQ
Also, Dimebag tuned his guitars 25 cents flat on all strings... no idea why he'd want to make himself sound even worse than he already did.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by ragingkitty
Also, Dimebag tuned his guitars 25 cents flat on all strings... no idea why he'd want to make himself sound even worse than he already did.

So did Machine Head on Burn My Eyes album, tuning being somewhere between C and D. Nothing wrong in that, just another way to get some different sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Page 1 of 2