Hey Folks,

I was talking with my guitar teacher, and he believes that after a certain amount of time, you are locked into a guitar type. So if you play Les Pauls, you get locked into Les Pauls. If you play Strats, you get locked into Strats or atleast the scale length of the neck.

The only guitar I had for the longest time is my Washburn MG-44 with 25.5" scale length. My acoustic is 24.75" in scale length. It was an adjustment for sure, but now I can play each equally.

Do you believe in getting locked in or is it just some people don't want to make the effort to adjust?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I don't think it's necessarily a matter of getting locked in as much as it is finding your comfort zone and being very familiar with what you're playing.

I mean... if you play for 10 years and find that you really like the feel and sound of a telecaster why would you then go out and buy a Les Paul anyway? I mean, if you need that sound then you'd do that but if you don't have an epic need for that why would you purposely force yourself outside of your comfort zone and make things harder for yourself?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I disagree. I played a Les Paul fairly exclusively for about 4 years. I don't own a guitar with a scale length less than 25.5" now.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Everybody is different. Some people can play the same on any guitar. Other people can't. Some people find 'their' guitar right away, others take years to find it.

For what little anecdotal evidence it is (not) worth, I started out using nothing but Epiphone guitars and even moving up to Gibsons has been odd to me. I certainly can't play Fender-style guitars unless they have conversion necks put on them and the bridges are changed. If it's not got a tune-o-matic and stopbar bridge, some form of carved or tapered top, mid-thickness neck and 24.75" scale, I can't play it for shit. Even chugging muted powerchords is next to impossible for me on a Strat. But that's just me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'm partial to my Gibson 24.75" neck with the neck on my Explorer feeling like hand sex, its a hybrid of the traditional 50's neck and the 60's slim taper and is honestly my benchmark feeling for a neck that I judge other on, for me it is perfect.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I'm quite particular when it comes to guitars. The small things like the size of the fretwire and the radius of the fingerboard become significantly more noticeable when you've played the same guitar for a long time.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I was talking with my guitar teacher, and he believes that after a certain amount of time, you are locked into a guitar type. So if you play Les Pauls, you get locked into Les Pauls. If you play Strats, you get locked into Strats or atleast the scale length of the neck.

Personally, I skew statistical results in all kinds of categories. My response to this question is no different. My collection of electric guitars contains 24.75" scale guitars and 25.5" guitars in almost equal numbers. I have singlecuts & double cuts. Solidbodies, hollowbodies and semihollows. Hardtails Wilkinsons & Bigsbys. Singlecoils, Humbuckers, and P90s.

And at least 7 different brands.

So far, the only differences for me have been in how they sound. The varying radii don't bug me, the fret types/heights don't bug me. There are probably 8+ different neck profiles in the electric collection.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 12, 2013,
I guess it's kinda true. I have an ESP Horizon NT-II, and it has a LP-like bridge. I really CAN'T play my friend's strat because its bridge is so low in comparison to this one. Plus the frets, neck and all that stuff.
ESP Horizon NT-II (Seymour Duncan) + Marshall JVM410C =

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
That's all interesting. Yeah, I find it weird that he said that when lots of guitarists play a variety of guitars.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I'm pretty versatile, but over he years I've come to prefer RGs, so that's what I usually play. But I can pick up a strat and I feel right at home, whenever I feel like messing around on something else.
it doesn't matter to me. i play a LP or a strat and both are fine.

adjusting to the different radii, fret sizes and string spacing is all in play as well.

not just overall length.

I play LP,SG,Tele,PRS and I have no problems switching between them. Most people think it is a huge difference when it really is quite small. 24.5-25.5 is 1 inch different over 21+ frets is very minimal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I can see like many others said how some people can be like that, it's all personal preference and how much you've played one type. I'm by no meas a great guitar player, just started playing again recently and also play bass. I have a Schecter Diamond C-1 and an LTD EC-300 and an Alvarez Dreadnought acoustic as well as an SR-405 bass and have no issues putting one down and jumping to the next when I feel like it.