I Pulled this in off kijiji. It was dropped and has three large but relatively stable cracks on the front and one very large and unstable crack all the way up the join in the back. neck and frets are in fine condition, although it took me about 20 minutes of literally scrubbing it with a disposable dish scrubber to get all the gunk off of the fretboard.

I purchased it with the intent on making it a campfire guitar, and that's still my plan, but i thought i'd see if anyone has a better solution than gluing a brace on the outside of the guitar to seal the cracks and provide stability. I'm not concerned with appearances here, i just don't want it to completely fall apart.

Kinda neat, It came with the original bill of sale. 600$ plus tax in 1994.

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
they don't look that stable to me. in humidity changes, i bet those puppies will move - and that can expand the cracks. is there some repair attempt i'm not seeing? my husband had a j-45 with stable cracks, and one was almost that big, but if you looked carefully it had ugly repairs holding things together.

go here
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html
search

Crack Repair

and read like crazy.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The Neck joint was loose so i removed it. the bolts were only finger tight. removing it revealed a crack beneath where the neck is attached. Also upon closer inspection the vertical back brace was cracked in several places, so i took the "damn the torpedoes" approach and made a brace to go on the outside of the back. I also filled the cracks in the soundboard with wood filler. As i mentioned this is just going to be a campfire guitar so i'm not overly concerned with aesthetics, i just don't want it to completely fall apart.

Here are some pictures. I'm currently waiting for the glue to dry. Hopefully tonight i'll be able to put the neck back on and restring it.

Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
hope it works mikey. otherwise you're out $3.28(cdn) for the glue. if it doesn't, just take off the top,glue some shelves in it and 'voila!!!! no wasted glue or guitar !
Well i gave the glue about 2 hours to harden, but within about a minute of taking the clamps off the brace started to peel away because of the bow in the middle. i took it off completely and noticed that the once massive arch in the back was all but gone, so i put the brace back on without glue and put it over a humidifier with the mist shooting into the soundhole. Picture was taken after i took the clamps/braces off because i didn't think to take one in action.

after about 3 hours of sitting like that I took the brace off again and voila! it was completely flat. not only that all the glue that i had originally put on had seeped through the crack and bonded with the original brace inside the guitar. all i had left to do was add some wood filler to the now much less intimidating crack and clean up the mess of dried glue.

Put the neck back on, put some new strings on it, and here's the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOV_CYD4mY
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Apr 12, 2013,
nice job mikey! how much do you have invested in that now? wish i woulda seen the bow, that woulda been cool.
80$ for the guitar with a HSC, about 10$ worth of glue and wood filler (that i used like 10% of each bottle) and 30$ for a set of clamps. 3$ for the failed brace that ended up becoming firewood.

Not counting the tools i had to buy and subtracting the 40$ the HSC is worth the guitar itself cost me about 50$
Quote by stepchildusmc
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Apr 13, 2013,
i didn't get a good picture of the bow but if you look at the picture where i lay the brace across the back you'll see that it's flush on one end and about an inch and a half up on the other....pretty good indication of how bad it was
Quote by stepchildusmc
gave it a setup today....shaved the saddle down by about 3mm and tweaked the truss rod ever so slightly

i know puppy love comes as fast as it goes but for now i feel like i rubbed a dirty old lamp and found a genie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjjzR7pCaw
Quote by stepchildusmc