Hey guys,
So I've been looking at a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 36 as my new amp. I was originally looking at a Laney Ironheart 60 watt, but I don't play modern metal and while it may be versatile enough to do what I want, the Tubemeister seems more suited to what I play. Plus the power soak and Red Box are quite appealing.

This brings me on to another attractive feature of the amp- the midi switching. I was already planning to partner up whatever new amp I get with a Line 6 Pod HD500, and it seems very convinient to be able to use the pod as a midi controller.

However, I do have some questions about this rig. My first question is, if I connect the two units using the 4 Cable method, and then I use a midi cable to connect the pod's midi out to the amps midi in, am I doing everything correctly? ( I think I am, but I am just confirming.)

My next question is, would it be worth me getting a head + 2x12 cabinet ( the harley benton v30 one) or would I be ok with a combo ( which also contains a v30)? I could use the extra space, but I don't desperately need it. However, I am not the biggest, so how considerable is the weight difference between the combo and head/cab? (Cath feel free to reccomend a trolley )

Another question is, how good is the pod's USB recording capabilities in terms of audio quality? Would I be able to connect the amp's Red Box to the mic input on the Pod? If so, would this be rendered useless if the audio quality was the same by using the USB recording? (Sorry, this question may be stupid.)

How well can you use the POD HD with normal pedals? I would probably be using my bad monkey overdrive and MXR 10 band eq with this rig.

Finally, on the POD, what does the AUX input do?
Oh, and for any more suggestions:

Budget: £1000 pounds or so for the amp and multi fx processor. I can save up more, if need be.

Genres: Jazz, Blues, Alt Rock/Pop, Classic Rock (Led Zep and similar), Prog Rock (Rush, Pink Floyd), Hard Rock (GnR and similar), Thrash Metal (Megadeth, Metallica) and Prog Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Tool)

New or Used: Either. i'd probably be using gumtree/ ebay

Current Location: UK, London

Current Gear: Ibanez RG2570mz Prestige, Squier Strat, Fender Mustang 1, MXR 10 band Eq, will purchase a digitech bad monkey overdrive to use as a boost for the new amp

Thanks for taking your time to read this and answer my questions. I'm super pumped over what I think could be a really versatile rig for the variety of genres I play.

(TL;DR: Read the questions. Also, best amp and multi fx under 1000 (slightly flexible) )
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Last edited by randomguy2000 at Apr 13, 2013,
C'mon guys- 80 views and no comments?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by randomguy2000
C'mon guys- 80 views and no comments?

It's not a fast moving forum, and I doubt that the view count on a thread has ever been accurate, ever.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
generally speaking, a head and cab is heavier than a combo, but you can make two trips so they're often lighter if you're able to make two trips. Depends on the exact head, cabinet and combo in question, of course. I've tried heads and cabs that were heavier than combos and vice-versa.

that's quite a range of tones there. your budget is also kinda in-between the mid-range stuff and the high-end stuff. That might be why you've had no answers... i saw this thread yesterday and didn't answer because i wasn't sure (but i felt sorry for you today when you'd had no answers).

do you play more of the lighter stuff or more of the heavier stuff?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
head and cab if smaller (like under 50 watts and with a 2x12) will be lighter. a 2x12 tube amp over about 40 watts is going to easily be 60+ pounds with 2 measly handles. stairs? anoying.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Dave_Mc
generally speaking, a head and cab is heavier than a combo, but you can make two trips so they're often lighter if you're able to make two trips. Depends on the exact head, cabinet and combo in question, of course. I've tried heads and cabs that were heavier than combos and vice-versa.

that's quite a range of tones there. your budget is also kinda in-between the mid-range stuff and the high-end stuff. That might be why you've had no answers... i saw this thread yesterday and didn't answer because i wasn't sure (but i felt sorry for you today when you'd had no answers).

do you play more of the lighter stuff or more of the heavier stuff?

Thanks for taking pity on me

The genres I play the most are Thrash, Hard Rock, and Classic Rock.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

no worries

laney vh100r maybe? keep an eye out, they're £1000 normally (they used to be £600 ) but sometimes you can find deals on them closer to the old prices. marshall dsl would work, too. or if you want to go the combo route, i'm guessing the traynor ycv50b on thomann (well under budget, but it is a good deal) would work well.

thomann's getting the jet cities back in again cheap- they're a bit more on the modern, fluid/compressed high gain side of things, but they are really good value and might be worth considering depending on what you mean by thrash and hard rock (they're basically cheapo soldanos).

engl screamer and blackmore might be worth a look, too, they're pretty versatile but again, like the jet cities, might be a little too modern-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got to play the TubeMeister 36, so versatile and cool-looking like the TriAmp MKII.

It's relatively light considering it has a steel chassis. 7.7kg (17.2lbs). One of the pluses is that it has separate Master and Gain for the 3 channels. There's also the separate ED for the Clean ch and the shared EQ for Crunch and Lead. It may appear complicated but it was so easy to get the tone in your head, unlike most tweaker amps.

It not only sounds very nice, but for such a low wattage, it sounds huge! Get one!
hey guys, a couple of laney tt50's have come up for sale for 250-300.
would this be a good cheaper alternative?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

yep

probably a little more fluid/modern-sounding than the vh100r (which is rawer and grittier), but for £250-£300 i'd say they're pretty good. I liked the ones I tried. Granted i tried them yonks ago and my ear has changed about 10 times since then, so...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?