Hey!

I'm looking for a nice -not to pricey- distortion pedal to order from Thomann with my Harley Benton g212 V.

I'm playing a JCM 800 with p90's and it's alot of dist, but sometimes I need a bit more, since I can't play too loud.

I'm looking for a punchy dist, something like early Green Day (1st & second album) or like Rancid, which would be early Green Day but a bit fuller sound. Punk dist basically.

Oh right! And also, could you give me some info on how to warm up a tube amp such as the jcm 800 2204? Would be awesome!

Thanks!
Last edited by Gillthenasty at Apr 14, 2013,
Boost it with a tubescreamer. That's what Green Day did to Plexi's and JCM800's early in their career.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
-Boost, not distortion.

-Consider a better made cab like the Marshall 212.

-regarding boosts, a full tone OCD or a Bad Monkey if you don't have the budget.
Bad Monkeys are pretty freaking awesome. In my opinion they're very underrated, especially since you can get one at a very reasonable price.

And I agree with bartdevil_metal. Boost the signal with an overdrive instead of a distortion pedal. You'll get a much better sound from your Marshall.
Quote by StewieSwan
Yeah so whole you arm eoddin this stupid forum i am moddin IRL bitch
some distortions can work pretty well as a boost. I prefer a ts or sd1 (or timmy), but they can work.

the harley benton cab isn't bad, fwiw.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a Bad Monkey too, the thing is great, for the price it's hard to really say no, I think I paid like £29 for mine, which for a pedal that good is greatly pleasing.

Give it a try.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I suggest a Hardwire CM-2 over the bad monkey. Same design, but better quality in terms of noticeable change when you change settings (and true bypass; not a good or bad, just a noteable difference).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I suggest a Hardwire CM-2 over the bad monkey. Same design, but better quality in terms of noticeable change when you change settings (and true bypass; not a good or bad, just a noteable difference).

Well it is the same type of pedal from the same company, but it's double the price. The Bad Monkey is pretty good and in terms of build quality the low price doesn't let it down, so bang for buck I still think it's the best option.

That said I haven't tried the Hardwire CM-2, but I really rate the Bad Monkey up with anything, so it would have to be pretty amazing to be worth getting at double the price.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Should also address the second part of the post:- Warming up a valve amp is as easy as flipping the standby switch and leaving it for a few minutes. If you're coming in from very cold temperatures where the valves have been allowed to get cold, allow the amp to acclimatise to the room temp for a few minutes, then flip the standby on. If using the amp in a gig and there is a shortish intermission (i.e. half hour or less) flip the amp back to standby to avoid turning off completely and re-warming.

There are other rules regarding humidities, but here in the UK we don't have that problem (by and large) so I'm sure someone from Mississippi (or other swamp) will weigh in.

Quote by Dave_Mc
the harley benton cab isn't bad, fwiw.

Sorry, i snobbed out on that one. Is it not made of balsa wood then?
Which JCM800?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm buying the Harley Benton, it's cheap and sound awesome.

Cathbard, I have the JCM 800 2204.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Sorry, i snobbed out on that one. Is it not made of balsa wood then?

it seems to be plywood

i think marshall has gone back to ply recently, but until recently their 2x12s were particleboard/mdf
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah well. I shouldn't have judged just by the brand name. Probably not going to trade my Orange in for it any time soon though
oh no i mean i wouldn't suggest doing that

but if you don't already have a cab and know you want v30s, you're almost getting the cab for free. And it's a perfectly serviceable, plywood cab which sounds pretty good.

heck, the fact it's front-loaded means that speaker swaps are so quick and easy that (if you have room) you could keep it solely for testing speakers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh no i mean i wouldn't suggest doing that

but if you don't already have a cab and know you want v30s, you're almost getting the cab for free. And it's a perfectly serviceable, plywood cab which sounds pretty good.

heck, the fact it's front-loaded means that speaker swaps are so quick and easy that (if you have room) you could keep it solely for testing speakers.

Anything, I mean ANYTHING, is better than my MG412a -.-

I throw up everytime I play it..
oh yeah i mean it should be way better than that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not OCD, it doesn't function well as a boost.its really a dedicated distortion pedal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by tas38
Boost it with a tubescreamer. That's what Green Day did to Plexi's and JCM800's early in their career.
I think they still do that actually, though with a Blues Driver now
Quote by Gillthenasty
I'm buying the Harley Benton, it's cheap and sound awesome.

Cathbard, I have the JCM 800 2204.

Master volume on 10 and then adjust the gain until it sounds right.

Oh, you can't play loud. Well that's a bummer because to get those tones best you need to be damn loud. So ......... Bad Monkey or maybe a Timmy. Bad Monkey will be a lot cheaper, just get that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Master volume on 10 and then adjust the gain until it sounds right.

Oh, you can't play loud. Well that's a bummer because to get those tones best you need to be damn loud. So ......... Bad Monkey or maybe a Timmy. Bad Monkey will be a lot cheaper, just get that.

I'm playing in a garage in the middle of a neighbourhood, so we can't play too loud, which is a bummer.
Quote by ragingkitty
Not OCD, it doesn't function well as a boost.its really a dedicated distortion pedal.

yeah it'll do at a pinch if you just happen to have one and have nothing else, but if you're buying a dedicated boost, there are better options, IMO. That's based on my cheapo joyo clone, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?