I'll be playing rhythm guitar in a nu metal group soon, and i'm about to buy a new amplifier and i choose the Peavey Vypyr series. Now i got a question: how much power? Will the 75 W be enough in the rehearsal? Or i'll need the 100 W? I've not seen the room already but they told me it's not so big. I don't know anything else, thanks for the help!
You only need 1 Watts.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

If you're set on the Vypyr then I'd go 100w. You'll need considerably less if you decide to go valve in the future though.
Save up a bit more and get the Tube 60. Trust me, just do it.

EDIT: Didn't see that Greg already recommended it, so yeah.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Apr 12, 2013,
Deff get the Tube 60 over the 75/100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Unless your drummer is monster from the muppets... 75 watts is plenty.

That said, as others suggested, get the 60 watt tube model. UNLESS you're very abusive to your gear and want to be able to toss the amp off the back of your trucks.
Quote by 6505fiz
Unless your drummer is monster from the muppets... 75 watts is plenty.

Did you mean Animal?
Attachments:
animal.jpg
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
Did you mean Animal?

Haha... yeah, stupid mistake, it's been a long week.
I ran my 5150 at 60w (2 valves pulled) for a good while, it was fine. If you're getting mic'ed up you can get away with pretty much anything, otherwise 50w + to be safe and you're good.

These days I'm running a 35w Cornford Hellcat as my main amp, thing is loud as hell. My advice to you (as others have said) if you're going for a Vypyr you have to get the tube version, the Tube 60 is probably louder than the 75watt solid state but more importantly it sounds better.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 12, 2013,
Problem is that i will most probably need to move the amp back and forth between home and the rehearsal... with the tube it could be a problem considering the price of the tubes. Anyway thanks to all!
Quote by Alexander Nero
Problem is that i will most probably need to move the amp back and forth between home and the rehearsal... with the tube it could be a problem considering the price of the tubes. Anyway thanks to all!

What does this have to do with the price of the tubes? I'm pretty sure the tubes will last at least a year. And they aren't that expensive. There are only three tubes in the amp that you need to replace once in a while. That's almost the same as replacing your guitar strings (that per year will most likely cost more).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Alexander Nero

Tubes aren't that expensive, and the Tube 60 uses one 12AX7 and two 6L6GC's, making is extremely cheap to maintain.

That amp, plus the floor pedal that you can get with it, all for a cheap used price, make it a great choice, even if it means saving a bit more.

Also, I thought you were looking for a thrash tone, but are in a nu metal band? Eh.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What does this have to do with the price of the tubes? I'm pretty sure the tubes will last at least a year.

In fact i didn't say it has to do with the price of the tube itself, i meant it worry me a bit moving a tube amp which i read it's a little "fragile", and that the tubes can break easy, and since i really can't waste too much money i thought a solid state could be more reliable in that matter. But i never had a tube amp so i don't know, i just read it, and i asked for that reason. xD

Quote by Guitarbaddie
Also, I thought you were looking for a thrash tone, but are in a nu metal band? Eh.

Yeah you're right but fact is i like to play thrash metal for myself, and i first think of making my OWN sound, and we'r gonna surely play some thrash cover but we'll cover also some nu metal so i told i'll play nu metal, just for having some advice in this way too.
Tubes aren't that fragile. I had to put almost all of my body weight on a bad groove tubes 6l6 to crush it. Thats the only time I've ever broken one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^^ The vyper tube will be your best bet for various heavy tones on a budget. And Peavey has a reputation for solid products. It might not be quite as solid as a 5150 but I doubt there'll be that much difference in reliability between the SS and tube Vyper. Anyway, the tube version sounds easily good enough to justify any possible downsides.
Quote by Alexander Nero
In fact i didn't say it has to do with the price of the tube itself, i meant it worry me a bit moving a tube amp which i read it's a little "fragile", and that the tubes can break easy, and since i really can't waste too much money i thought a solid state could be more reliable in that matter. But i never had a tube amp so i don't know, i just read it, and i asked for that reason. xD

Yeah you're right but fact is i like to play thrash metal for myself, and i first think of making my OWN sound, and we'r gonna surely play some thrash cover but we'll cover also some nu metal so i told i'll play nu metal, just for having some advice in this way too.

Tubes are harder to break than you think. If my old 5150 could rattle around in my car all the time, or the back of the band van, than you'll be just fine.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
thanks for helping! fact is that there's really something that stops me from relying tubes for an extreme heavy tone... i kinda read that they do tend to sound "warm", and i prefer a sound that's more "metallic" and rich of high frequencies, so that was my doubt... as well, i prefer a more "raw" tone, naturally still in limits of audibility (i love old hardcore punk or Darrell sound for for example, he was like a bunch of razorblades smashing between themselves but he was still defined, even if he maybe lacked a little of bass imho)... so if tubes are perfect for me, then what use are the solid state ones??? i guess my only way to settle down this thing is to test some amps live with my guitar xD
Tube amps are not so fragile things, I had my 5150 and my other guitarists Valveking in the back of a van touring the country playing 3 + shows a week for 3 years not to mention back n forth from our practice unit, people sitting on them in the van, knocked about and basically taking the rigours of touring, never had to replace a valve as a result of damage.

So long as you take care of them and don't treat them bad then there's no reason why you should have to worry about breaking valves from just moving it around. Give it 10mins to cool off before you move it if you can, otherwise crack on.

Get the Tube version, or you will be sorry you didn't!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Have you looked at the Dime amps?
They are pretty cheap and based off the old Randall RG100 that Dimebag used to play. Actually one of the better new SS amps and it is fairly cheap in the amp world
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Alexander Nero
thanks for helping! fact is that there's really something that stops me from relying tubes for an extreme heavy tone... i kinda read that they do tend to sound "warm", and i prefer a sound that's more "metallic" and rich of high frequencies, so that was my doubt... as well, i prefer a more "raw" tone, naturally still in limits of audibility (i love old hardcore punk or Darrell sound for for example, he was like a bunch of razorblades smashing between themselves but he was still defined, even if he maybe lacked a little of bass imho)... so if tubes are perfect for me, then what use are the solid state ones??? i guess my only way to settle down this thing is to test some amps live with my guitar xD

A tube amp can still sound metal. A better definition, within the same class, a tube amp will sound more harmonic, whereas a SS amp is more likely to sound sterile.

Vypyr Tube 60 over the SS versions... with a 60 water tube, you can easily get over most drummers, unless he plays so hard he has to change skins between songs.

If you can get more moolah together, get the 6505+... that's practically the perennial metal amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i said no bullshit.

this is all bullshit.

you came here for good advice, which you got and have ignored.

why?

TS - if you want a "metallic" sound get a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt combo.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 13, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
TS - if you want a "metallic" sound get a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt combo.

I'd rather fist myself on stage than use a Spider IV
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by gregs1020
i said no bullshit.

this is all bullshit.

you came here for good advice, which you got and have ignored.

why?

Here Gregs. Let me help you with that.
Attachments:
jjjjjjjjjj__4_.gif
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
^ that's what i thought.
Quote by Guitarbaddie

i may have seen your show.
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Guitars: