So the bass player in my band is looking at upgrading his rig from a Fender duo 10 to a head/cab.

He is planning on buying a cab, then in the near future when he saves a bit of cash/finds a good deal, he's gonna pick himself up a nice head.

He spotted a used peavey 810 bass cab for sale. The seller is asking $500 for it.

All I know about it is that it has sheffield tvx 1035-8 speakers, and is supposedly solid, but has a few tolex rips here and there, which is no big deal.

Personally, I think that $500 is probably a little much for this cab. I know that sheffield guitar speakers suck ass, so I don't expect that the bass versions are much better.

I don't know a lot about bass cabs, so that why I posting here.

Is this a good deal, or should he pass on it??

Thanks!!

Edit: We play pop/punk/rock. You can follow the link in my sig to check out our band if you're interested
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
You could probably find an ampeg 810 for around that much if you scan craigslist, and that's a more reliable 810 name.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Honestly I'd tell him to look for 2 4x10's just for the fact that an 8x10 is a royal pain to lug around. I hated lugging around just the 4x10 I had without help.
Thanks for the input guys!

I'm still trying to talk him into a 410 and 115.

Does anyone have any experience with the speakers in this cab?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
Thanks for the input guys!

I'm still trying to talk him into a 410 and 115.

Does anyone have any experience with the speakers in this cab?

I wouldn't mix speaker sizes unless they're specifically designed to be mixed (e.g. the Hartke HyDrive series, which are often demo'd in that configuration). Does he need 8 speakers? I mean, how big a guitar setup is he competing with? unless you guys are cranking 100W half stacks a single 4x10 should be perfectly fine. But I agree 2 4x10s would be way better than an 8x10 for moving around, and because it means you can adjust to the requirements (a small pub gig should NEVER see an 8x10)
Unless you have a roadie or really, really wonderful bandmates with strong backs, 810s really don't make sense for gigging. I agree--go for 2 410s.
We went and looked at the cab, and I was able to talk him into getting a 410 instead.

We went to L&M after looking at the cab to try some heads and 410's. I think he is settled on the Mesa Carbine M6 Head, and Traynor 410 cab with Neo speakers. The cab sounds amazing with the head, and is extremely light. Much lighter then my mesa 212 recto.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
We went and looked at the cab, and I was able to talk him into getting a 410 instead.

I hope hes happy with the rig you picked out for him.

I gotta ask though, am I the only one here that digs the 810? I use an Ampeg 8x10 Classic, and it sounds monstrous. Plus, with a van or SUV, and a friend, it really isn't that hard to move around.

Although I will admit, sometimes hauling it around is a drag, the power and tone more than makes up for it.
When you're younger and have willing band mates, hauling about a 'fridge is not a huge issue. As you get older, its a huge drag and I think I'd have better luck getting my guy friends to haul a couch for me than a 810.
hell, I hate my 4x10. really hated playing through a 6x10. would never play through an 8x10 I had to carry.

I've never actually played a venue where a cab that big was necessary. I've played pretty huge places, but they always mic their shit. so what's the actual point? you'll either be playing somewhere that will mic or DI, or it's small enough to go off stage volume. just don't know personally why anyone would do that.
#DTWD
Quote by Pandawithapick

I gotta ask though, am I the only one here that digs the 810? I use an Ampeg 8x10 Classic, and it sounds monstrous. Plus, with a van or SUV, and a friend, it really isn't that hard to move around.

Although I will admit, sometimes hauling it around is a drag, the power and tone more than makes up for it.

I used to gig an 8x10, and in high school it was the bees knees. Then I injured my knee and started moving every year and discovered the joys of micro heads and 2x10s. Fridges are a pain, and if you have the possibility of PA support it just makes sense to go with a smaller modular rig.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Pandawithapick

I don't think anyone is questioning how great they sound. They are pretty damn heavy though. And let's face it, when you're playing at a venue 9 times out of 10 no-one can hear you anyway so there isn't really much point in worrying about how good your cab sounds.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I dont think anything more then a good pair of 2x10's or 12's is needed. Ever heard of a PA. I bring my 1x12 cab and gk mb500 along with a di to gigs. Amp is for me and the band. DI is for the punters.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I agree that 810's sound awesome, but in this case I just think he is better of buying new for what the guy wants for the 810.

Plus I play bass as well, so if we really want to, we can hook my fender 410 up along with his traynor
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H