I have a peavey vypyr 30 as a practice amp right now cause my other amp is at my friends house, only problem is i cant seem to get enough high and tight gain, all i get when i put the gain to max is a slighter low end gain instead of a bright gain, i used to be able to get the gain that i'm looking for but havent used it in a while until now... so how can i get the high gain stuff? btw what does scooping mean?

anyone got some good setting they can share?
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Apr 12, 2013,
That spelling of enough is enough to make me want to kill someone.

I don't know what you mean by low end gain and bright gain, do you mean EQ? Maxing the gain isn't going to give you tightness, it'll give you the opposite. Scooping refers to taking the mids out, virtually. And you want at least some mids in your mix.

Use the settings thread for settings. Link is in the resources thread.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
That spelling of enough is enough to make me want to kill someone.

I don't know what you mean by low end gain and bright gain, do you mean EQ? Maxing the gain isn't going to give you tightness, it'll give you the opposite. Scooping refers to taking the mids out, virtually. And you want at least some mids in your mix.

Use the settings thread for settings. Link is in the resources thread.

lol sorry about that, brain fart ;P but how would i get a nice clear distorted tone that has a lot of attack and distortion?
What are the EQ settings you're using on the amp? A lot of rock/metal players tend to keep the bass really high, but it shouldn't really ever be over 5 if you want any kind of note definition when using heavy distortion.
You need an overdrive pedal, run the amp on about half gain and use an overdrive (like a tubescreamer) to boost the front of the amp, that will give you what you want.

If you can't afford a tubescreamer

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-DBM-Bad-Monkey-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-102670239-i1124375.gc

They are pretty awesome, will do what you need, and cheap.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 12, 2013,
Don't Vypyrs have a TS9 pedal model?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by mattrusso
What are the EQ settings you're using on the amp? A lot of rock/metal players tend to keep the bass really high, but it shouldn't really ever be over 5 if you want any kind of note definition when using heavy distortion.

pre gain, low, mid, high, reverb
Quote by GuitarNewbee
pre gain, low, mid, high, reverb

Possible troll?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Do me a favor and pick your amp up off the floor and stick it on a table.

Put some new strings on your guitar.

Set the EQs and the Pre Gain at 12 noon.

Turn your guitar volume and tone knob all the way up.

Try the Tubescreamer stompbox effect with the gain on '0' and the level on '10' (Or the X'Boost)

Set the Post Gain on 12 noon and the Master Volume on 12 noon and then bring the Pre Gain up to more then 3pm

Report back
OH! "inof" = Enough.

Don't do that anymore.

On a serious note, get yourself a REAL Tubescreamer or a Triple Wreck Wampler pedal. If you've dialed in settings for a long enough period of time and still can't get what you're looking for, you're not gonna get it. This means:

A) Get a pedal/some pedals to find it
B) Get a new amp
C) All of the above
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Do me a favor and pick your amp up off the floor and stick it on a table.

Put some new strings on your guitar.

Set the EQs and the Pre Gain at 12 noon.

Turn your guitar volume and tone knob all the way up.

Try the Tubescreamer stompbox effect with the gain on '0' and the level on '10' (Or the X'Boost)

Set the Post Gain on 12 noon and the Master Volume on 12 noon and then bring the Pre Gain up to more then 3pm

Report back
thanks it helped, except for the part where ii put the master volume on 12 o' clock nearly went def when i began playing
Quote by GuitarNewbee
thanks it helped, except for the part where ii put the master volume on 12 o' clock nearly went def when i began playing

oh yeah, I forgot.

If you set the amp up on a table like that you have to back the **** up before you start playing
Quote by Bigbazz
You need an overdrive pedal, run the amp on about half gain and use an overdrive (like a tubescreamer) to boost the front of the amp, that will give you what you want.

Quote by Dimarzio45
On a serious note, get yourself a REAL Tubescreamer or a Triple Wreck Wampler pedal

Just so you know, TS, I don't suggest plugging any pedals into a cheap modelling amp, unless it's a pedal that controls the built in effects
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Just so you know, TS, I don't suggest plugging any pedals into a cheap modelling amp, unless it's a pedal that controls the built in effects

You may be right, but when I'm thinking of Vypyr my brain is automatically assuming (in this case wrongly) the tube version, which I would assume (perhaps wrongly again) would take an overdrive pedal well.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
You may be right, but when I'm thinking of Vypyr my brain is automatically assuming (in this case wrongly) the tube version, which I would assume (perhaps wrongly again) would take an overdrive pedal well.

It could take an overdrive, but it still comes with its own built in stompboxes and pedals, there really is no reason to own anything other than foot pedal for the amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90