I have been playing off and on now for about 4 years. When I say off and on I mainly mean that I try to play for periods of time and then get discouraged from seeing (and hearing) little improvement. I am in a small town in central NY and there are virtually no teachers in the area that are even decent. I've tried the only two I could find. One was basically printing tabs and trying to get me to play them. I can do that! The second guy had a condescending attitude and teaching style that was irritating. He would play something crazy! Far beyond me, and say something like "ya gotta play it like that!" Stroker!

So in a nutshell I've never had any direction or proper instruction. I've just bought books and tried tabs. After getting frustrated and putting it down for a few months, I always end up picking it back up because I have such a "want" to just learn how to really play. I am 43 and have no delusions about becoming a rock star or even being in a band. I just want to learn because I love it. I need some advice!

Is Jamplay.com a good idea?
Practice consistently. Determine what you suck at or what you'd like to improve at and address that first. Stop being discouraged and quitting because you're going to ruin any progress you make there. Guitar is mostly just muscle memory from a technical standpoint.
The Pit isn't the place to talk to guitarists.
Go to Guitar Techniques or Musicians Talk or something.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Practice consistently. Determine what you suck at or what you'd like to improve at and address that first. Stop being discouraged and quitting because you're going to ruin any progress you make there. Guitar is mostly just muscle memory from a technical standpoint.

That.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
^^ and invest in a copy of guitar pro. you'll be able to load up more accurate tabs, with multiple instruments, and allows playback of the track (so you can watch the fretboard at the top as well as the tabs being played while you listen).

It also comes with handy tools like scales + the sheet music above the tabs, and when you play the tab, you can choose different speeds and such (50% speed, 25% speed, 2x, etc.)