I'm a bit of an effects noob so excuse me if I'm being a bit thick...

Anyway, I was listening to All Apologies (Live at Reading) by Nirvana earlier, and I was just wondering, when he goes from the verse (I think he's using a chorus effect through the clean channel) he appears to suddenly go to plain distortion for the chorus... Is it that he pressed the two pedals simultaneously or was it something to do with the way he had the pedalboard setup? I'm just curious because I'm thinking of buying a few pedals and a board, and information like this could help...

Thanks in advance
Quote by Stephenm0ynihan
I'm a bit of an effects noob so excuse me if I'm being a bit thick...

Anyway, I was listening to All Apologies (Live at Reading) by Nirvana earlier, and I was just wondering, when he goes from the verse (I think he's using a chorus effect through the clean channel) he appears to suddenly go to plain distortion for the chorus... Is it that he pressed the two pedals simultaneously or was it something to do with the way he had the pedalboard setup? I'm just curious because I'm thinking of buying a few pedals and a board, and information like this could help...

Thanks in advance

Without hearing the actual song, I have no idea what it sounds like.

If he want from clean+chorus to plain distortion, then he probably turned the chorus pedal off and the distortion pedal on at the same time.

As far as pedals and a pedalboard goes, I can't recommend anything unless I know what gear you currently have.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
He could be using a midi controller. he could have somebody backstage working his fx for him. he could have an amp with fx loop on off that can be set on or off on the clean and distortion channels independently. he could have stepped on both at the same time. he could have been using a multi fx unit and switched between programmed settings. its kind of like skinning a cat. If youre thinking of buying some pedals i would highly recommend that you DO NOT BUY INDIVIDUAL PEDALS if youre new to fx. find a cheapish multi fx unit and start with that. for the price of two or three individual pedals you can get a multi fx unit that has all the common FX and many fx you havent considered as well. this will give you a crash course in FX with many different types and give you a chance to learn how to use fx and find out what you like and what you dont.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Apr 13, 2013,
^ I agree with this. Use a multi fx unit to discover the sound you're going for, then upgrade to individual pedals once you know what you need.

I'd recommend making sure you get one designed to be used as multiple effects pedals rather than a series of patches so you know exactly what it is you're hearing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Depending on the setup, he could have punched the distortion first and then turned off the chorus. If your chorus us sufficiently subtle, and the dirt sufficiently gainy, the distortion will seem to "override" the chorus sound for the split second when the chorus is still on.

Of course midi, multi-fx and a third leg are all also likely possibilities too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
He turns the chorus off (a Small Clone) and then hits the distortion straight after. Separate pedals close to each other on stage.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Cobain never used any weird controllers like that.

Also, I'm fairly certain he's not using his Small Clone (or Polychorus) effect on All Apologies at Reading. If he was, he just stepped on the distortion, then the chorus somewhat quickly
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Apr 13, 2013,