Just wondering if there's any brand in particular you guys take to concerts. Without searching around too hard, I have no idea which ones to get and where to buy them. I'd rather they not be too noticeable/stick out while retaining clarity.

Also, do you ladies and gentlemen use different earplugs for performing/band practice and concert going, or the same ones?
West Ham United
I use these guys, and they do the job really well. Got them free at an uni fair when I was in first year

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/clarity
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I dont use them and i know it is stupid, but most of them make my ears hurt. I need to find some That dosent hurt.
I dont wear any at concerts, but when I'm playing my drums I wear construction headphones that make it sound much better. Jamming with a band usually I won't wear anything though.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
You want ones specifically designed for that purpose that let in all frequencies but at a lower db level.
I recommend getting a set of musicians plugs. One large purchase but they'll last at least 5-10 years depending on which make you get.

wear them now man, tinnitus is a bitch
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
I recommend getting a set of musicians plugs. One large purchase but they'll last at least 5-10 years depending on which make you get.

wear them now man, tinnitus is a bitch

Which ones are musician plugs, the flanges?
West Ham United
Nah like custom moulded ones

They'll cost you about 100-120 but they'll last for a very long time. If you're serious about music/gigs they're absolutely worth it in the long run
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by DegaDeth
I use these guys, and they do the job really well. Got them free at an uni fair when I was in first year

http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/clarity

I have some ones that are similar to these. Cost me like £2 and do a pretty good job.
Although I don't really go to loud places any more because I don't want my tinnitus to get worse

Start wearing earplugs now man.
Quote by captainsnazz
Start wearing earplugs now man.

It's what I intend to do. I'm seeing Black Sabbath soon and I hear they're quite loud...

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus, though. Must be hard.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
I see a few ear pieces with flanges like these, are they better than ones without?

I'm honestly not sure to be honest. The only other earplugs I've used are the sort of foamy single use ones that I used at work that block out all noise. The flanges definitely make them easier to insert and remove from your ear though.
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I wear custom molded Sensaphonics. They cost $200 in manhattan, so they should be about $100 everywhere else on the planet haha

Seriously, though, they are one of the best choices I've made, musically. They have a flat response and lower everything by 15db, and for $30/pair I can get -10 or -25 filters, but I've found 15 to be very comfortable.

I always wear them in small clubs, and I bring them to big stadium gigs (but I rarely use them, depending on my seats. I also rarely go to stadium gigs). They're great during band rehearsals too, because those are always in small rooms with terrible sound systems.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by N_J_B_B

They'll cost you about 100-120 but they'll last for a very long time. If you're serious about music/gigs they're absolutely worth it in the long run

This. These are the only serious earplugs. You'll go in and get a custom mold and then you can buy inserts that will reduce db at different amounts depending on applications.

The reason you want these is that, first off, they are custom molds so they would feel more comfortable in your ear, and second, the inserts reduce db more evenly across the frequency spectrum. Unlike cheaper all-purpose plugs, which are going to reduce the db more in the high end than the low end, et cetera.

In short, if you want a truer representation of the enviromental sound with only a reduction in db, go spend the cash on custom molds. If you don't see yourself spending that much, then basically just get whatever kind of earplugs are most comfortable. The former is my real suggestion.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Yep, custom molded once are the way to go. Expensive, but worth it. Mine were 180€, but I'll probably never have to change them. Also, as Sid said, you can change the filters in them, but also make them in-ears (monitors) that still work well as earplugs.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Im a percussion major, so ear plugs are a really big thing for me and my friends. Its even caught on to wind players in the jazz bands where it can get incredibly loud. We all start out using the high-fidelity earplugs from etymotic research because we have a sponsorship from them. But custom-fitted ones are always better and about half of the percussion studio has invested in them. I would recommend getting the cheap ones first because it generally takes a while to get used to not losing them. I lost 3 pairs within a month, but now ive been a full year without losing any. so i just scheduled my appointment to get my ears moulded.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

these are particularly nice because they almost cut all frequencies by the same amount. so its almost like hearing everything the same, except not as loud. the fitted ones are way better from what i hear.
Quote by King Donkey
It's what I intend to do. I'm seeing Black Sabbath soon and I hear they're quite loud...

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus, though. Must be hard.

When i seen heaven and hell with judas priest and motorhead a few years back they were the quite ones compaired to priest and motorhead. Ear plugs arent a bad idea though i have a generic bucket of foam plugs that i use for most concerts and playing shows.
acs something or other. £16 from a music store and they're excellent. fit on your keys and easy to clean
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by N_J_B_B

Dude you can get them molded to you for like $15 at a gun show... lol

I don't wear plugs when I go to concerts, but when I shoot, I always wear Howard Leight, whether its their plugs or muffs. They work well, and last a long time.

I'd recommend either of these.
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/airsoft--2
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/quiet--2

Regular old plugs from walmart in the gun section work too, though.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Apr 13, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890
Dude you can get them molded to you for like $15 at a gun show... lol

I don't wear plugs when I go to concerts, but when I shoot, I always wear Howard Leight, whether its their plugs or muffs. They work well, and last a long time.

I'd recommend either of these.
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/airsoft--2
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/quiet--2

Regular old plugs from walmart in the gun section work too, though.

And sound like shit. Regular plugs intended for simply reducing the levels of loud sounds for work environments etc are not designed to offer a good representation of the sounds themselves and attenuate higher frequencies much more than lower ones. The more expensive plugs intended specifically for musicians make an effort to maintain an even frequency response which is very useful for playing music and essential for being able to enjoy a live performance.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Surprised no-one's already recommended these. That's what everyone said to get when I got my pair, and now I swear by them. Obviously moulded plugs would be better, but these work fantastically well for the price, provided you take care of them. Comes with different filters for different attenuation levels too.
I use these. They work just fine (in fact, I think I can hear better with them) and are sold at like any music store ever.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Seems like the general consensus is to get moulded ones. But until I'm actually seriously gigging and playing with a band I might have to hold up on forking any cash out for them.

Other than that the flangey ones or whatever you call them seem fairly popular. You guys have given me far too many choices.
West Ham United
^Sabbath is still, like, a thing? Ok.

I only wore earplugs when I used to go to small noise shows (which I haven't done recently). But I still have a $15 pair of Hearos from GC or somewhere.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Anyone who wears the same pair of in-ear noise reducers that are made out of any type of foam or other squishy, porous material repeatedly is risking inner-ear infections. They cannot be cleaned well enough. Get something smooth and washable.

Other than that IDK. I only use them because I deal with a lot of loud engines and such, so I just have a big-ass pair of shooting range earmuffs.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by kertets

Hey! Nothing wrong for Sabbath back in the day. I mean, they're still playing, with ozzy and Iommi, I guess?

Obviously it's not Dio...
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Earplugs are great when playing live shows. They help you hear the overall mix better, thus allowing you to stay on beat and listen to the band.
I use hearos, but I also tried the more expensive ones.
Quote by snipelfritz
Hey! Nothing wrong for Sabbath back in the day. I mean, they're still playing, with ozzy and Iommi, I guess?

Obviously it's not Dio...

Yup Ozzy da man.
New album out soon.