Hey! Long story short, Ive been a guitarist for 10 years, with a Fender Telecaster, Epiphone ES 335, and a Yamaha Pacifica (Strat, it was my first!). However, Ive played my friends Bass quite a few times, including a Fender P Bass and an ESP Bass, and I simply enjoy bass so much more. So what should I start with?

Im quite confident already, and picking it up quickly, and so far im looking at a Hagstrom HB4 or FXB, or an Epiphone SG. Im looking at spending £400 tops on the Bass, with about £200 for an amp, but im willing to sell the ES 335 above towards it!

I play a lot of Indie and Alternative, as well as Blues Rock, but im very open to anything (I once filled in for a pirate metal band one night, incredible fun!)

Given what Ive said, what do you think would be the best Bass to start with, and amp? Id like the amp to be good for gigging, and obviousley the bass, ill only be playing pub size venues at max!

The only Bass I havent considered is Squier, as Id rather just get a low budget fender (or second hand), but I did enjoy the Squier Jaguar, a lot of fun!

Let me know what you think! Thanks!
The Hagstrom HB4 is a very good bet. I own a Hagstrom Beluga (which has the same neck) and it is by far the most comfortable bass I own. If you like the P-bass sound more, look at the Hagstrom FXB-200.

Apart from that there's the usual suspects: Squier VM (not my cup of tea, but people round here like 'em...), Ibanez SR300-500, Ibanez BTB series (up to the 500 at your budget) or Sterling Musicman.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
the answers you'll get here are squier VM, ibanez sr and sometimes the yamaha rbx series - which is my favourite of the lot.
as for an amp, if you are in the US (or maybe canada?) acoustic do the b200 which is pretty good so i've heard. also look at ashdown. i think kustom are the ROW equivalent of acoustic? not sure on that though.
if anyone says behringer, disregard everything else they say. they cannot be trusted
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
if anyone says behringer, disregard everything else they say. they cannot be trusted

Oi! Behringer has been (seemingly) stepping up their QC lately, trying to become less of a joke. And considering most Behringer gear that shits out shits out in the first few months, a used piece of Behringer gear can be a great deal (and it holds no value so it will cost next to nothing).

that said Kustom, Acoustic, and Ashdown are still much better if you can swing it. For the bass I am a Yamaha RBX fan, but the Squier VM/CV and Ibanez SR series are solid bets too.
+1 to Ibanez SR, and it'd be worth looking at Peavey too.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Ibanez 400, or 405, or 455. That will set you for life.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by chatterbox272
Oi! Behringer has been (seemingly) stepping up their QC lately, trying to become less of a joke.

This person clearly works for behringer
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Another vote for Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series (Jazz and precision, since I haven't tried the others) And also lookd at Sterling SUB series. Cheap, nice sounding basses. If you're willing to gig with your amp, you'll need at the very least 100W through a 1X15 speaker cab. I don't know much about prices, but the Gallien Krueger Mb series are transportable and gigworthy.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by skater dan0
This person clearly works for behringer

Hey! I resent that statement I just got forced into 5 years of using a Behringer BXL900 and BXL3000 in high school and aside from the average at best tone and them weighing a metric shit-tonne they never had a single issue, and the rock band students were tougher on them anyone I've ever met (I mean, who trys throwing a ~30kg amp for fun? )
Cheers for the replies people! I'll have to look at Squiers again, Id still be tempted to go for a low budget fender, but they play well especially for their price! Has anyone else had experience with a Hagstrom though? Ive only played two in a shop, so its hard to fully get the feel, and if you have a Hagstrom, what amp do you play it through? Thanks!
Quote by jnesbitt92
Has anyone else had experience with a Hagstrom though? Ive only played two in a shop, so its hard to fully get the feel, and if you have a Hagstrom, what amp do you play it through? Thanks!

I've played most of the bass range (Viking, FXB200, HB8 and the Beluga IIF that I own), all of them are of good quality and have good QC and customer service (My Beluga was repaired within 48hrs (battery port corroded within 6 mnths due to humidity)).

I've played my hag through amps varying between Ampeg SVT's and Behringers, and tbh I was always able to get a good tone out of it. My main amp is now a '67 Dynacord Bass king and it still sounds great.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
+1 for Ibanez as well. You really can't go wrong with them, no matter which model you pick... I have a BTB700DX and it's my favorite bass so far. It's very universal, so I rarely have to fight with the tone.
You won't get a good gig amp for only 200 pounds tbh, at that price range... maybe a used amp on ebay, but don't expect quality sound =\
I personally use a Markbass mini CMD 121p, which is really great, but it costs quite a bit... around 600 pounds...
Gone and played an Ibanez now, got to say I stereotypically associated them with heavy metal and similiar genres, how silly was I! This has made my choice harder, I played a Warwick Corvette whilst I was there and its at the top end of my budget, and some above, but Im happy to stretch further, has anyone else played a Warwick? As it stands im torn between the Hagstrom FXB, Warwick Corvette, a low end Fender P or an Ibanez. Im playing Indie, Rock, Blues, but want as much versatillity as I play other genres too! Thanks again for all the advice!