Smart.
3 7%
Dumb.
30 67%
TS has crazy sex all da time.
12 27%
Voters: 45.
Page 1 of 2
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/crazy-new-trend--lotus-birth-192556931.html

Cutting a newborn's umbilical cord is a routine procedure, but a practice called the "Lotus Birth" teaches that doing so can be bad for babies. It entails leaving the cord attached to a baby and carrying the connected placenta in a container until the cord falls off on its own.
On Wednesday, Mary Ceallaigh, 47, an Austin, Texas based Lotus Birth advocate and Midwife educator told the New York Post that leaving the baby attached to its umbilical cord is not only a "beautiful thing," it provides crucial nutrients to infants and prevents infection and disease.
"There’s no wound created at the umbilical site, which lessens the chance of infection," says Ceallaigh. "It allows a complete transfer of placental blood into the baby at a time when the baby needs that nourishment the most. Babies’ immune systems are going through huge changes at a very rapid rate when they’re first born. Not disrupting the baby’s blood volume at that time helps prevent future disease. The mother and baby benefit from having all the focused placed on bonding, rather than the common focus of 'who's going to cut the cord, cut the bond?' Invading the natural process when there's a healthy mother and baby is likely to cause harm in some way seen or unseen."

So, apparently, leaving a rotting umbilical cord and rotting placenta attached to your newborn baby until they fall of is a thing for some people now. I would say having a useless rotting appendage attached to your baby is more likely to harm than to help your newborn, but apparently some people disagree.

Genius or idiocy? Discuss.
Given that most species sever their own umbilical chord, or have an umbilical chord that naturally snaps, I call bullshit. Once the umbilical chord and placenta detach from the mother they stop functioning.

Seems like typical western idiots adopting ******ed Buddhist ideas to claim that they're all 'zen'.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 13, 2013,
I bet the people who do this are the type of people who do yoga and eat sushi and do various other things to make themselves feel exotic because they're oh so ashamed to be just like a normal person. They probably also name their Lotus born child something stupid like Oceania-breeze or something equally stupid.
Quote by DardySon
I bet the people who do this are the type of people who do yoga and eat sushi and do various other things to make themselves feel exotic because they're oh so ashamed to be just like a normal person. They probably also name their Lotus born child something stupid like Oceania-breeze or something equally stupid.

Do you guys not have sushi in Australia? That's hardly considered exotic now. And it's delicious.
This was on Cracked a while ago (#2)

http://www.cracked.com/article_20014_6-tiny-things-doctors-do-that-can-save-or-end-your-life_p2.html

If it's really helpful then why not? We can handle a little grossness for a few minutes if it's beneficial.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and not do that with my kids.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Do you guys not have sushi in Australia? That's hardly considered exotic now. And it's delicious.

We do but the people who mainly eat it in my experience are like the people I was having a rant about. They seem to only eat it because it makes them feel trendy and cultured even though half of them won't even be able to point out Japan on a map.
I may be wrong but I thought that the fact that the baby has been born means that it doesn't need to be fed nutrients from the placenta anymore.

Also, a placenta attached to a newborn baby is not a beautiful thing. I can understand some people finding breast feeding to be a beautiful thing, although I disagree, but I fail to see how anyone can find a disembodied organ feeding a newborn baby through a tube is beautiful.
I want to lick someone umbilical cord before I die
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Really, guys? Why does it matter if it's beautiful or even hideous. Birth is far from beautiful unless we're talking figuratively. If it can really benefit health (and in such a seemingly significant way) then how is this at all stupid?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Really, guys? Why does it matter if it's beautiful or even hideous. Birth is far from beautiful unless we're talking figuratively. If it can really benefit health (and in such a seemingly significant way) then how is this at all stupid?

What happens when the baby wraps the cord around his neck and chokes itself to death?
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
It figures that you would disagree with not cutting things off of babies.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

That's a fair sized if, though.
Quote by Todd Hart
That's a fair sized if, though.

I see no evidence to suggest it's bad for anything and a good amount (the sources in the Cracked article seem legit to me) that says it's very helpful.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I see no evidence to suggest it's bad for anything and a good amount (the sources in the Cracked article seem legit to me) that says it's very helpful.

Cracked.com only spoke about waiting 3 minutes to clamp rather than waiting 10 seconds, did it not? That's the same as keeping the umbilical chord attached until it atrophies.
Quote by Todd Hart
Cracked.com only spoke about waiting 3 minutes to clamp rather than waiting 10 seconds, did it not? That's the same as keeping the umbilical chord attached until it atrophies.

Can I get a source on that? All I can find about it is this.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/237769.php

It seems to me a team of Swedish researchers would know more about it than any of us.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I would swing it around over my head like a lasso.

yup thats the first thing that popped into my head
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Can I get a source on that? All I can find about it is this.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/237769.php

It seems to me a team of Swedish researchers would know more about it than any of us.

A source on what? You just provided the source yourself.

This thread isn't about waiting three minutes before clamping, it's about leaving the umbilical chord and placenta attached for roughly three days to allow for it to atrophy and fall off to its own accord. Waiting three minutes may well be a much better way of clamping.
Quote by Todd Hart
A source on what? You just provided the source yourself.

This thread isn't about waiting three minutes before clamping, it's about leaving the umbilical chord and placenta attached for roughly three days to allow for it to atrophy and fall off to its own accord. Waiting three minutes may well be a much better way of clamping.

I think you miswrote your post before this, you said it's the same thing.

Waiting three days probably is very silly. I didn't see that in the OP.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I think you miswrote your post before this, you said it's the same thing.

Waiting three days probably is very silly. I didn't see that in the OP.

Oh so I did, apologies. Yeah, I very much meant to say it's not the same thing.
That is disgusting.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I wouldn't do it. The birthing process is nasty enough already.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It makes sense from a biological viewpoint, although I doubt wether it's actually all that disadvantageous to cut the cord. At least it's not in any way harmful to leave it on, as some people here seem to think.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Apr 14, 2013,
Eww.

I mean,
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by Todd Hart
Seems like typical western idiots adopting ******ed Buddhist ideas to claim that they're all 'zen'.

And that's the thread. Goodnight everyone.
PM me for newts
Quote by padgea7x
It figures that you would disagree with not cutting things off of babies.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Leave it on. And while you're at it, just leave the baby out in the street. Let them figure it out for themselves. If they get squished by a truck..oh well...they shoulda moved. In fact, we don't need no stinking doctors, let the pregnant woman handle it herself, I'm for woman's rights. She has the right to deal with it herself.
Yeah I'm not going to do that. The benefits are probably marginal and having to carry a placenta around with the baby would just get annoying.

The mother and baby benefit from having all the focused placed on bonding, rather than the common focus of 'who's going to cut the cord, cut the bond?'

Yeah no one actually really cares about who cuts "the bond" to a dying organ.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by jtees4
Leave it on. And while you're at it, just leave the baby out in the street. Let them figure it out for themselves. If they get squished by a truck..oh well...they shoulda moved. In fact, we don't need no stinking doctors, let the pregnant woman handle it herself, I'm for woman's rights. She has the right to deal with it herself.

None of this applies or is relevant at all.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by jtees4

i don't know why i feel so dry
That's how all other mammals have it
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
That's how all other mammals have it

Yes, and look out how stupid their children are. Most of them can't even work a screwdriver.
Quote by Todd Hart
Yes, and look out how stupid their children are. Most of them can't even work a screwdriver.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Page 1 of 2