Lacquer looked ok going on. Went on with slight orange peel. I left it for 7 days and then wet sanded with 1500 grit and it came out very grainy and cloudy. Can any one give me any ideas where I went wrong?
Had no problems with primer or top coat. Sprayed with a gun and 50/50 thinners mix.

Cheers.
Attachments:
photo (3).JPG
That is how it looks after you wet sand. You have done nothing wrong.

What grit s have you wet sanded with? I start with 800,1000,1200 going progressively higher in grit.

Then you shoot it with your clear coat (5+ coats)and it will gloss out again. Then I wet sand 1 more time with 1000+ grit.

Then I use car polish swirl remover to buff the clear coat using a drill attachment (you can get them at an auto pats store)

Then buff one more time with a good carnuba wax and it will be smooth and shiny
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That is how it looks after you wet sand. You have done nothing wrong.

What grit s have you wet sanded with? I start with 800,1000,1200 going progressively higher in grit.

Then you shoot it with your clear coat (5+ coats)and it will gloss out again. Then I wet sand 1 more time with 1000+ grit.

Then I use car polish swirl remover to buff the clear coat using a drill attachment (you can get them at an auto pats store)

Then buff one more time with a good carnuba wax and it will be smooth and shiny

^ This.

It sounds like you've gone too fine with your first wet sanding. If you can't get it perfectly smooth with 1500, use some coarser paper and then work back up. If it's really bad, you might need to consider 400-600, but bear in mind that'll take more lacquer off.

Edit: Even when you get it perfectly smooth with 1500, it will still look cloudy and dull - your objective is to get a uniform surface, not to make it shine. Polishing and buffing will make it sparkle.
Quote by Hammy135
Lacquer looked ok going on. Went on with slight orange peel. I left it for 7 days and then wet sanded with 1500 grit and it came out very grainy and cloudy. Can any one give me any ideas where I went wrong?
Had no problems with primer or top coat. Sprayed with a gun and 50/50 thinners mix.

Cheers.

How did the 50/50 mix work for you? I always add just a splash of laquer thinner, maybe around 10-15%, and it seems to work pretty well. But I tend to put it on pretty heavy.

And as everyone else said, you have to start at a lower grit, probably 600-800, and sand up to 1500(or higher). Then you buff. The idea is to level the surface with the lower grit, and then progressively sand the scratches away with each grit(so you'd be sanding out the 800 grit scratched with 1000, and sanding out the 1000 scratched with 1200, ect.) before buffing.
Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere that high grits are to be used on lacquer so I went straight with 1500. Will starting with lower grits and then working my way up achieve better results or does the buffing process remedy the grainy look? I just assumed that buffing would purely add more shine rather than eliminating what looks to me like a paint fault?

Cheers
That's after 8 or 9 coats of lacquer so I'm hoping no more will be required?!
Wet sanding can take a very long time. just be patient and you will do a good job. Watch Youtube videos and it will help you out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Hammy135
That's after 8 or 9 coats of lacquer so I'm hoping no more will be required?!

8 or 9 coats of thin lacquer might be like 2-3 coats of thick lacquer(or maybe even less). I'm no expert, but thinning it to 50% seems pretty thin to me, and you might even be going lighter than is needed. I have no idea how many coats you need to build up enough lacquer for a good leveling.

Just pay attention I guess, and make sure you don't sand down to bare wood.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Wet sanding can take a very long time. just be patient and you will do a good job. Watch Youtube videos and it will help you out

Yeah, thanks for the advice. It's no longer visable after a bit of elbow grease with 1200. I was just being way too delicate.

I wasn't being massively accurate with the mix but it was around 50/50. The lacquer is thick so I just figured it would make it easier on the gun.