Remember that hybrid guitar I'm having built. Well it doesn't have a nut and I want to have the best I can, but I don't really want to route it just for a nut

Real question is: does a lsr roller nut require routing and if it does what's the best option that doesn't
i'm a big fan of the Tusq XL nuts. Impregnated with teflon, which is the slipperiest substance known to man, and about 500 timers more slippery than graphite.
Bone and Tusq are great. I don't know if the roller nut requires routing, but it's a bit overkill, imo. A well cut nut made from bone will do great. But you might be better off paying a skilled luthier to do that for you if tuning stability is a serious concern.
I replaced my strats nut with a Graptech Tusq nut, was cheap and is awesome. The string slots were precut but it needed filing to fit into the nut slot, enough work that it would warrent getting a pro to do it.

With that said I did it myself, and I'm far from a luthier, used some metal files I purchased to file the knife edges on my Ibanez Jems tremolo, they did the trick. I figured the nuts are so cheap that even if I did mess it up it was only the price of a beer.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
I replaced my strats nut with a Graptech Tusq nut, was cheap and is awesome. The string slots were precut but it needed filing to fit into the nut slot, enough work that it would warrent getting a pro to do it.

With that said I did it myself, and I'm far from a luthier, used some metal files I purchased to file the knife edges on my Ibanez Jems tremolo, they did the trick. I figured the nuts are so cheap that even if I did mess it up it was only the price of a beer.

exactly. i've put Tusq or Tusq XL nuts in about 6 of my guitars (Strats and Tele). They sometimes required a little sanding to fit in the nut slot, and the edges stuck out a little, so those had to be filed down a bit....but I'm far from a luthier and had no problem doing it.

I've also been lucky and have not needed to file the nut slots, but i think that's because i use 10s for strings. If you use 12s or something heavier, you'd probably need to file the nut slots.
One note, there are Tusq nuts and there are Tusq XL nuts. The XL are impregnated with teflon and are self-lubricating.
Quote by peskypesky
One note, there are Tusq nuts and there are Tusq XL nuts. The XL are impregnated with teflon and are self-lubricating.

I had the latter, didn't see the "non self lubricating" ones for sale when I bought mine, its definitely a massive improvement if you've come from a plastic nut, when tuning is concerned.

When I fit my nut I was using 10-46s tuned to E standard, but later modified the guitar and set it up for Drop C tuning with 11-52s, didn't have to file the string slots, those things are so slippery they took it like a champ.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 13, 2013,
The LSR Roller does require routing, but it's often cited as the best Roller nut on the market (apparently Jeff Beck swears by them, but [citation needed]), because it uses two low-friction ball bearings instead of true rollers.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi