Page 1 of 2
So, as the title of the thread suggests, there's usually a pretty good idea of what the good "go-to" choices for gear are in most kinds of music, but in our endless quests for tone, some of us like to experiment around, and "break the rules" a bit too, so to say. Maybe you like using PAF or other low-output style pickups for modern metal (Sure, it's been done, but it's less common), or maybe you manage to to get a totally vintage type of tone out a modern-voiced amp? Whatever gear "rules" you like to break, feel free to share them here!

My recent experience with such, is that I've learned that I'm really digging Celestion G12M greenback speakers with my ENGL for modern metal. Often considered too "flubby" of a speaker with loose low-end, and perhaps with too "smooth" of a top end for such styles, I'm finding that the amp is already so tight, that the loose low end of the GB's doesn't really come into play, and that the midrange voicing on them only fills in the sound spectrum where the ENGL is lacking (lower-mids), resulting in a full, very musical tone.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I play clean indie-folk-rock stuff with a bit of a surf vibe, like Best Coast/Rilo Kiley/M Ward/She&Him/Real Estate etc.

I used to use an Orange, but eventually I missed my spring reverb and swapped it for a Princeton. The Orange was definitely not a typical choice for a clean amp.

The only part of my rig that's still a bit out of place is my main guitar, my red Gibson SG Standard. It's definitely atypical for clean rhythm playing, but it's one of the things that keeps my tone from being to typical and vanilla. I still have my tele for classic electric folk sounds.

I guess it's also atypical that I used my Gibson for all rhythm parts on my latest EP, but used the tele for all lead parts (with flatwounds!). That made for a really cool tonal mix.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I am a crazy rule-breaker I occasionaly play down-tuned "djent" on my Albert Lee model. Sounds really good, you just need a proper amp/distortion pedal with the right EQ. I am also using a 1xG12H30 open-back cab. In a few days, I'll be playing all that stuff through a Matamp Miniverb

A friend of mine gets nice brit-pop tones using low-output pickups to a vintage-voiced tube amp... through a Boss MT-2.

I know more examples. Status Quo used Marshall JCM800 Kerry King signatures live in Europe. Their tech said these amps have good midrange I recently read an interview with some country-blues guitarist who uses Mesa Dual Recs for recording.
I know my uncle occasionally uses one of those mt-2s pedals when he plays black napkins by zappa. It sounds surprisingly good.
Honk
Quote by Mukersman
I know my uncle occasionally uses one of those mt-2s pedals when he plays black napkins by zappa. It sounds surprisingly good.

it sounds surprisingly good, unlike the zappa song huh? haha
I play pop punk using an ac30 and a 60's classic telecaster with single coil pickups and a big muff, which is definitely not your typical gear choice for this genre, I even sometimes play metal with this rig although it is a push.
I use a micro vibe for metal.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I play mellow blues on my JVM's OD2 red channel, using my BKP painkiller bridge pickup, rolling the volume and tone knobs on the guitar down to where it sounds smooth, warm, and a little dirty. For some reason it sounds better to me than the lower gain channels. Not to mention I can unleash the beast by rolling everything back up. Surprises the hell out of people every time.

^_^
WTLTL 2011
I bought a used Epiphone LP Prophecy for a bargain price.

I'm more of a rock guy actually and love I'm overall more into passives and more traditional looking guitars, but overall it plays good and sounds good for everything thrash-metall-y.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Les Paul with emgs for post rock, more out of necessity right now.
I use a phaser before dirt and always leave it on if that counts?
I use a dimarzio xn2 for classic rock and blues where is your god now?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Greenbacks and their variants are actually fairly commonly used for modern metal. I use a Creamback loaded Diezel cab. I also use Suhr Tele. And used to use a BJFe Honey Bee as a sludgy boost to loosen my amp up. And a Klon for a metal boost currently. And a PAF replica loaded Historic Les Paul. Basically decided to take the corkiest route to getting a metal tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
"I occasionaly play down-tuned "djent" on my Albert Lee model"..........

Quote by Vicious_Turtle
it sounds surprisingly good, unlike the zappa song huh? haha

**** you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I used a solid state amp with a metal zone to play pop-rock back in high school.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I used to use my Fender deville for hardcore, I also use a telecaster for hardcore.

Now I use my Peavey 6505+ for folk punk (which is primarily clean stuff)

none of my choices make any sense
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I play punk and blues on a shredder's guitar.
29 frets, EMG pups, big radius fingerboard, floyd rose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I used to have a Yamaha hollow body that I played stoner rock and punk on through an AC30.

Just controlling feedback was an issue, but once done it worked a treat.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I'm a big fan of running tremolo on an otherwise metal tone, typically before distortion as well.
I play punk, hardcore, metalcore, and the like, and I prefer single coils for lead tones.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
60's harmony rocket into a trace Elliot super tramp half stack for grunge and blues rock.
Is that atypical enough?
I use an LP with unpotted PAF style pickups, a FAB distortion and an Excelsior to get metal tones.

Come at me bro.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
At low and moderate volumes, I use a 135 watt Twin with no pedals as a high gain head. I yanked a 6L6 pair, re-arranged the preamp tubes and it breaks up gloriously.

I also installed a Washburn W423 pickup in the bridge positions of a couple of Epiphone SGs and bypassed the pots. Now they scream.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Apr 14, 2013,
I once used my gibson les paul into a marshall JVM for a country gig. the JVM was part of the backline that was provided, and i'd just bought a fender tele but for one reason or another hadn't been able to get it set up in time. so i used my gibson LP with burstbucker pros, and it worked just fine

I think within reason, you should be able to make anything work reasonably well even if it is a bit unusual for that kind of music.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
I used a Schecter 7 string with an X2N, 2 high E strings and an Ibanez RG with a D-Activator through a Peavey XXX to cover some Foo Fighters back in January.

I used to play modern metal with a loose bass response, and no tube screamer. I guess I just like the "flub". I also strung a seven string with a higher string for said modern metal. Also used a Metal Muff and Digitech RP200 for my gain awhile back.

Used to use a SSS strat for thrash metal.

There's a stock BC Rich bridge humbucker in the neck of my Washburn (Unusual in general)

Currently using a Schecter Damnien-elite 8 string with EMG's for my Loony Toons-based drum line show and concert music.

With all of my 7 strings, I use 56's half step down and everyone around here always recommends 60+ gauge any tuning.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I use an LP with unpotted PAF style pickups, a FAB distortion and an Excelsior to get metal tones.

Come at me bro.

It's actually not a bad pedal for that tbh, its not like a boss metal puke or digitech tl2 I seriousl do not see the appeal of the pedal outside of blackmetal.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
I wonder how much of this is through choice and how much it's actually people only being able to afford what they have or having gear then their music taste changing so they have to make do.

Nothing I use is unusual. Les Paul into Marshall half stack. Wah, Tone Bender MkII, reverb and a clean boost. I guess it's unusual I don't use an overdrive. But maybe not that unusual. I don't know.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I wonder how much of this is through choice and how much it's actually people only being able to afford what they have or having gear then their music taste changing so they have to make do.

+1.

I don't think any of my stuff is unusual, either. In fact it's your typical metal/metalcore/hard rock type setup. Dean Z '79, Schecter omen 7 extreme and cheap ESP copy with active pickups. Plus a Peavey amp. Let's face it, Peaveys don't look out of place anywhere
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Apr 15, 2013,
I play hardcore and Prog-Metal/rock on a Tele. Everything else looks like it belongs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a semi hollow guitar for sludge/stoner metal. rest of my rig is fairly typical though.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
My Teles are for the heavier stuff, my active and 7-string guitars are for pop and my amplifer has 'Line 6' on the front of it
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by losing battle
It's actually not a bad pedal for that tbh, its not like a boss metal puke or digitech tl2 I seriousl do not see the appeal of the pedal outside of blackmetal.

It doesn't sound horrible. I turn the tone knob down on it though or it ends up being a bit harsh through the bright setting.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by l3p4rd
I used to use my Fender deville for hardcore, I also use a telecaster for hardcore.

Now I use my Peavey 6505+ for folk punk (which is primarily clean stuff)

none of my choices make any sense

The telecaster's becoming more and more popular for hardcore. I once saw a doom/death satanic hardcore band use an American tele into a Vox AC30. Sounded unreal to be fair.
Surf Rock, 70's Jam, Alt-Country.

I have a Highway 77 pedal from Heavy Electronics. Pretty much straight up snarly pure IC distortion.

Quote by AndyGray
The telecaster's becoming more and more popular for hardcore. I once saw a doom/death satanic hardcore band use an American tele into a Vox AC30. Sounded unreal to be fair.

Teles are the bomb dot com, mang.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Page 1 of 2