Hey guys!
I've posted on UG a couple times for amp help, and I'm still stuck with my crappy Fender Frontman 25r amp I've been spending too much money relieving my GAS...

Anyway, a wild Laney GH100L head has appeared in the tall grass of my local Craigslist for $400, and I heard they are like hotrodded Marshalls, and for 400$ I thought I might buy it. The thing is, the guy says its from the 90's and he hasn't retubed it for three years (which really scares me )

Has anyone had any experience with these? Does anybody know how many tubes it has inside, so I can order new tubes ASAP, the Laney website doesn't specify.

I play mostly alt rock, pop-punk, and metal (Foo Fighters to Sum 41 to My Chemical Romance to The Black Dahlia Murder, but high gain metal is not first priority). The lack of two channels doesn't bother me, I don't need a clean channel to be honest. Would this amp be good for me? Other amps I've been looking at is the Jet City amps, the Laney Ironheart 15w (which hasn't come out in the US I believe) and maybe a JCM900/2000 if I can find one I can afford used. Am I wasting my time and money on this and should get something in the price range that will be better, or is this a miracle for a poor high school student??

Thanks
Last edited by danielbang at Apr 13, 2013,
Just buy it.

That's a crazy deal.

Then just play it till the tubes to. That could be anything from days to years

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I agree with Tom, that is a good deal. A set of tubes would be $100+ depending on what you buy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I believe the GH100L has a bias switch to switch between 6l6 and El34 and runs on ECC83 but do you know how many there are? I'm not so sure, but are ECC83 and 12AX7 interchangable? I don't have much experience with tubes, excuse me
Quote by danielbang
I believe the GH100L has a bias switch to switch between 6l6 and El34 and runs on ECC83 but do you know how many there are? I'm not so sure, but are ECC83 and 12AX7 interchangable? I don't have much experience with tubes, excuse me

ECC83 and 12ax7 are the same tube 12ax7 is the USA name and ECC83 is the European name.
Yes it should have a bias switch for 6l6/el34 (the newer ones do anyway)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i've got the 50 watter. yeah it's hot rod marshally. very nice amp, especially if you get it for cheap and don't need a dedicated clean channel. the onboard boost can get a bit noisy, but that's about the only problem with it (and i just turn the gain down and hit it with a boost, which helps to keep the noise down a little).

it should have four 12ax7s and four EL34s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I used to have the GH100L and I really regret selling it. Fantastic amp, get some really nice tones out of it. Loved playing early Metallica on it.
Quote by Robbgnarly
ECC83 and 12ax7 are the same tube 12ax7 is the USA name and ECC83 is the European name.
Yes it should have a bias switch for 6l6/el34 (the newer ones do anyway)

Ok thanks, that is very good to know
The seller mentioned it was from the 90's, so it might not have a bias switch but I'm fine with playing with EL34 tubes (not that I've had hands-on experience with the difference between 6l6 and EL34s, but as long as it works and sounds good its good for me
Quote by danielbang
Ok thanks, that is very good to know
The seller mentioned it was from the 90's, so it might not have a bias switch but I'm fine with playing with EL34 tubes (not that I've had hands-on experience with the difference between 6l6 and EL34s, but as long as it works and sounds good its good for me

I think the GH series has 3 pre-amp tubes and 1 12ax7 and 4 power tubes. Laney amps are really under rated IMO

If your ok with 1 ch then I would scoop it up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I think the GH series has 3 pre-amp tubes and 1 12ax7 and 4 power tubes. Laney amps are really under rated IMO

If your ok with 1 ch then I would scoop it up

I am currently in contact with the seller I've always wanted a VR100H but I can never find them around here. The new Ironheart amps also look real tempting

3 preamp tubes and a 12ax7? Is a 12ax7 not a preamp tube?
Quote by danielbang
I am currently in contact with the seller I've always wanted a VR100H but I can never find them around here. The new Ironheart amps also look real tempting

3 preamp tubes and a 12ax7? Is a 12ax7 not a preamp tube?

well it has 4 12ax7 tubes 3 are preamp, one is the phase inverter which is techincaly the power section
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well it has 4 12ax7 tubes 3 are preamp, one is the phase inverter which is techincaly the power section

Oh ok, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I learn something new everyday on this forum
It has 4 preamp tubes & 4 power tubes. Order a set of JJ6CA7 quad set for the power tubes & two JJ ECC83S and one JJECC803. Use the ECC83S in V1 & V2 and the ECC803 in V4 of the preamp spot. Leave the V3 stock for the moment or get a ECC83S for that spot as well. When ordering tubes order them from either Doug's tubes or Laura(ValveQueen) or Eurotubes, don't bother ordering from places like amazon/MF etc. cause these people test them very well before sending them out to customers, so the possibilty of getting duds is very low

Those came with a bias switch when they were released in the 90's, only thing is that the front brand logo/plate has changed to a different look at the present time.

Although there is a bias switch to go between EL34 & 6L6 type, the amp still needs to be biased manually from the inside on the circuit board. Take it to a tech for doing that & have him bias it to 55% with the JJ6CA7's, those don't need to be biased hot to sound fat, so there's a plus point cause they will last a bit longer that way too. 6CA7's belong to the EL34 family of tubes but sound similar to 6L6s in a way, so the switch needs to be set to EL34s on the back when using them. Or if it has 6L6's in it right now then just get a set of JJ6L6's for it and your set after a rebias. That should help keep your head less confused when ordering new tubes for it, I hope

I find the amp to be more versatile with 6CA7's then regular EL34's, but YMMV. I've tried other preamp tubes with it, but JJs had the midrange that fit it perfectly & they are cheap too, so it's all good.

You will need a cab for running it. Look into a 2x12 cab that has either v30's or something loaded in them. Too many choices to pick from here, for now just remember that the total wattage of the cab needs to be higher than 100W otherwise don't turn the master volume beyond 3 on the volume dial and the match the impedance of the head with the cab when connecting them together
Quote by dahelunover
It has 4 preamp tubes & 4 power tubes. Order a set of JJ6CA7 quad set for the power tubes & two JJ ECC83S and one JJECC803. Use the ECC83S in V1 & V2 and the ECC803 in V4 of the preamp spot. Leave the V3 stock for the moment or get a ECC83S for that spot as well. When ordering tubes order them from either Doug's tubes or Laura(ValveQueen) or Eurotubes, don't bother ordering from places like amazon/MF etc. cause these people test them very well before sending them out to customers, so the possibilty of getting duds is very low

Those came with a bias switch when they were released in the 90's, only thing is that the front brand logo/plate has changed to a different look at the present time.

Although there is a bias switch to go between EL34 & 6L6 type, the amp still needs to be biased manually from the inside on the circuit board. Take it to a tech for doing that & have him bias it to 55% with the JJ6CA7's, those don't need to be biased hot to sound fat, so there's a plus point cause they will last a bit longer that way too. 6CA7's belong to the EL34 family of tubes but sound similar to 6L6s in a way, so the switch needs to be set to EL34s on the back when using them. Or if it has 6L6's in it right now then just get a set of JJ6L6's for it and your set after a rebias. That should help keep your head less confused when ordering new tubes for it, I hope

I find the amp to be more versatile with 6CA7's then regular EL34's, but YMMV. I've tried other preamp tubes with it, but JJs had the midrange that fit it perfectly & they are cheap too, so it's all good.

You will need a cab for running it. Look into a 2x12 cab that has either v30's or something loaded in them. Too many choices to pick from here, for now just remember that the total wattage of the cab needs to be higher than 100W otherwise don't turn the master volume beyond 3 on the volume dial and the match the impedance of the head with the cab when connecting them together

That was really hard to follow, but I will be ordering an Avatar 2x12 with V30's in the near future when I have money I have always heard good things about JJ tubes, but I am not sure if the High-performance, the gold pins, and all the other fancy stuff really matters or which to get. So basically, I can get 4 of the same preamp tubes and use them, correct? Or is it necessary that I use different ones like you posted, or is that just for optimum tone? Also, what should I ask the tech to bias it to if I were to use regular 6l6 tubes or regular el34s?

EDIT: Should I buy the tubes beforehand or will a tech take care of that?
Second Edit: When buying tubes, does a 'matched pair' mean 2 tubes? And will I have to make sure the pair go in the correct slots in the amp, or does it not matter? Im new at this stuff, its very overwhelming
Last edited by danielbang at Apr 14, 2013,
Don't bother with the gold pins unless you have a lot of cash to splurge lol NOS would be a better option there. Just the regular ones will do.
Yeah you can get 4 of the same preamp tubes, but just get one JJ ECC803 for the last spot of the preamp, it helps with clarity & makes the amp lively.

Just ask the tech to bias it to say about 55 to 60%. The avatar cab will work just fine, no problems there.

EDIT: For now don't buy them before hand. Just get the amp first before someone else buys it. But check the amp is working before buying it.

EDIT2: Matched set means two power tubes. You need matched QUAD set, meaning four power tubes for the gh100l. Correct slots stuff is irrelevant.
Don't bother buying matched preamp tubes for now that you find under some options on the tubes vendor sites
Last edited by dahelunover at Apr 14, 2013,
Thanks for all the help, I see you got a GH100L too in your sig

I really hope this goes through and I can buy it, I'm sick of playing through a crap amp

Should I test the amp when I get to bring it home, or is it safer to directly take it to a tech and just get it rebiased and retubed? This is trusting that the owner says it works well and doesn't need repairs of any kind.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see you edit your last post, I'm really not used to posting things on forums. But I do love reading through threads
Last edited by danielbang at Apr 14, 2013,
Try it before you buy it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Test it at the owners place if possible. That way your sure that it is in working condition. You can then take it to a tech to get it looked at, for just incase some old electrics have aged or whatever.

It's a good amp, maybe a bit bright with certain tube combinations but overall very dynamic/responsive and british sounding.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Try it before you buy it

I would most definitely ask to try it personally before buying it, but I wouldn't know what to do if seller is asking to meet someplace other than his house Maybe I can ask to meet at a music store, and test the head with the cabs in the store, if I am allowed to?
Well if it's in working condition then I don't see why the owner would have issues with meeting up with the amp at a music store or something like that, unless he can't travel. If he is unwilling to let you test it before buying it then perhaps there might be something wrong with it.

Just tell him that your very interested in the amp and would like to test the amp out before deciding on it, at his place or at the local guitar store or whatever place you find safe lol
are you sure you want v30s? what type of tones are you after? I didn't think my gh sounded bad with the v30s, but it did sound a wee bit generic (and a lot smoother and more modern). Other speakers bring out the marshally flavour better (if that's what you want), in my opinion.

Granted the fact youre looking at the 100 watter means you'll have fewer options for a 2x12, but there are still some higher wattage options for more vintage-voiced speakers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you sure you want v30s? what type of tones are you after? I didn't think my gh sounded bad with the v30s, but it did sound a wee bit generic (and a lot smoother and more modern). Other speakers bring out the marshally flavour better (if that's what you want), in my opinion.

Granted the fact youre looking at the 100 watter means you'll have fewer options for a 2x12, but there are still some higher wattage options for more vintage-voiced speakers.

I do like the sound of V30s, and I like a more modern tone. Other speakers I could possibly be looking at are the Celestion K100s and GT75
no worries, if you like them, go for it. just didn't want you to jump on the v30 bandwagon, since they tend to be the stock speaker choice. But if you know you like them, that's absolutely fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks, but I'm still young and this is going to be the start of serious purchases, so I got time to go out and try out different things and see which I prefer best

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully I will return with a NAD in a couple weeks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The seller just told me he lives in PA but travels to Frederick, MD for work, which is around the area I live. It would not be possible for me to drive to PA, I really hope we can work something out so I could play the amp a store or something, if they let me. I am really praying this works out, I'm not sure if I want to take the chance and just buy it without playing it and trust the seller when he says that it plays like new.
Take it to a store and tell them you would like to test out some potential speaker cabs for it.

Just don't tell them the real reason your there, because most would not alow that. But if they think it is a potential sale they will let you.

Do you have a cab? If not it would be a good time to see what works well with the amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate