I'm getting a guitar to play in my dorm room, but need an amp for it. I'm not going to get a speaker amp but rather one of those headphone amp things. As of now, I plan on getting one of the Vox AC30 headphone amps (http://www.amazon.com/Vox-amPlug-AC30-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B000ZMYRJS) for $40, so I'm looking for some general input on that or any other model that you think would fit me better.
GO YANKEES!
The Vox is a decent option, but it really is that. Easily portable tool for practicing in silence, not something to expect a quality sound from. Just pick a version that suits for the stuff you are playing (there are different versions of AmPlug suitable for different music).

I think only direct competition to those Vox's is Fiio G01. So there's not much to pick out from.

Then there are modeling headphone systems that offer better distortions and such like Line6 POD, but they are more expensive.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 13, 2013,
Well I'm going a little over budget on the guitar - planned on a $250 Agile, decided on a $400 Fender Tele, so I'm not looking for anything too expensive. The Line6 POD looks like something I'll probably be interested in investing in in the future (all those ins look ridiculous), but for now I need something cheaper. I guess something around $50 is ideal, maybe a little more.
GO YANKEES!
Get a used POD.

I see them around that on CL for the XT's.

Or a pocket pod?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
i use a griffin guitar connect pro, and i use the agile ampkit software on my iphone.

cost me like $70aus , i got it because my ac15 has no headphone jack

i got it for headphone practice but you can record with it through a guitar over the top of a recording, upload backing tracks to practice over.

obviously not the best recording tool but fun to mess around with and an excellent tool to practice has a metronome set into it.

aparrently the irig is rubbish, i think around $20-$30 aus

the peavey ampkit is decent $40-$50 aus

and the line 6 link is alright aswell. $110 aus

hope it helped

edit added in prices
Last edited by bigfyt at Apr 13, 2013,
Quote by arabmetallion

Those sound clips sound really good! With all the horrible looking Beats Audio headphones on the street these days, you wouldn't look like a tool with these on either.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Those sound clips sound really good! With all the horrible looking Beats Audio headphones on the street these days, you wouldn't look like a tool with these on either.

yeah exactly and for half the price too. it's even got built in effects lol! on frickin headphones that is pretty epic I must say. it doubles as regular headphones which makes it great bang for your buck. there aren't allot of reviews for it though so I dunno
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
If you can spare a little cash you can grab a pod used pod 2.0 I seen them go for like 50 bucks used
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I've got the AC30 Amplug. It's ok and much better with decent earphone type things. Don't expect it to sound anything like an AC30 though. It's a fun little toy but that's all that it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by arabmetallion
yeah exactly and for half the price too. it's even got built in effects lol! on frickin headphones that is pretty epic I must say. it doubles as regular headphones which makes it great bang for your buck. there aren't allot of reviews for it though so I dunno

I'm sure these would be fine, but I recently got Bose headphones and 100 bucks is a little out of my price range for this. But thanks for the suggestion!
GO YANKEES!
Looks like looking on CL/eBay for used POD products is my best bet for now, so I'll do that until I find a good deal. Had to drive an hour to get my guitar, so might have to put this off for a while.

Any way to use my iPhone as an amp in the meantime? Or my computer? How about any input on pocket Pod v. Pod 2.0?
GO YANKEES!
wow that Vox amphone looks pretty sweet. I'm considering getting that now. Anyways, to the TC, the Vox amplugs are pretty neat. A friend bought the AC30 amplug yesterday and I tested them out for about 30 minutes and it was pretty neat. If you're gonna use it for straight practicing then it should be fine. I was playing them through some decent earphones (Shure 215s) and it sounded good enough. My friend said he found it at Guitar Center used for about $20 so look and ask around if you can.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater