I'm getting back into playing guitar fairly regularly now and looking to upgrade my gear. I just picked up a Gretsch 5420, soon picking up either the digitech RP1000 or Line 6 POD HD500.

Now to my issue of which tube amp to get. I was thinking of trying to get a tube amp that has a real nice clean sound then use the multi-effects pedal for all the effects. I'd like to keep it under $1000 if possible. Its only going to be for playing at home. I play a bit of everything from Ventures to Metallica and everything in between.

I've spent hours on google trying to narrow down my choice but just find myself more confused than ever. I've mainly been looking at the Fender blues deluxe, but find reviews saying its amazing then others say its crap.

Now to my questions, since I will also be getting a multi effects pedal is an effects loop absolutely necessary to get the best out of the tube amp and effects pedal using the 4 cable method? Is the RP1000/HD500 going to play well with a tube amp? Would something like the blues deluxe be to much amp for home use? Those are my main questions, sorry if it sounds confusing but I'm very confused lol.
Last edited by Tach_tech at Apr 13, 2013,
Are you thinking of using the RP1000/HD500 for effects alone? In that case, I'd go for something like a TC Electronic G-Major/System or on of the Line 6 M series. You'd be paying for amp emulations in the pedal that you wouldn't use.

However, for solely home playing, you don't need a tube amp at all. Hook up the HD500 into a pair of studio monitors or headphones and that's a great play-at-home rig.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Yes the multi effects pedal would be mainly used for effects, probably rarely use the amp/cabinet models. I like the idea of multi fx pedal just based on the ease of use and cost savings. I've thought about just using the fx pedal through speakers, but there's something about a nice clean tube amp that makes me smile. I've also thought about getting just a different solid state amp but like everyone says, just don't quite get the same sound from a solid state as you do a tube amp, that being said if getting a tube amp and a multi fx pedal to work well is going to be a huge hassle I may just get a solid state for now and a tube later.
Last edited by Tach_tech at Apr 13, 2013,
don't quote me on this, but i think the blues deluxe has quite a touchy (logarithmic) volume knob. which might make it hard to dial in the exact volume for home use. Other than that it'd be fine, most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't quote me on this, but i think the blues deluxe has quite a touchy (logarithmic) volume knob. which might make it hard to dial in the exact volume for home use. Other than that it'd be fine, most likely.

In all the reviews I've seen that does seem to be a common complaint. I've also read there are fixes for it that are fairly easy as well.
yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?