So beyond just recording one simple track into Reaper, and then recording another over it, etc. it turns out that I have no idea how to use this thing. Does anyone have any experience with it? What are all the channels on the Scarlett Mix Control? How do you use them? Why are they labelled as DAW? I feel like a total noob and there's not really any guides that I can find.

Also, EQ'ing and mixing. With an interface like this, are you supposed to EQ how you want it before you go in and that's it? Or is there a way to EQ tracks digitally in Reaper? I have a piece of equipment that is so far beyond my knowledge.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Not a clue about the channels, but I would always say EQ after. If you EQ after recording you can change that as much as you like later if it doesn't work, whereas if you EQ before then you're stuck with it and if you EQ'd it wrong then you either have to re-record or do some turd polishing.
Quote by chatterbox272
Not a clue about the channels, but I would always say EQ after. If you EQ after recording you can change that as much as you like later if it doesn't work, whereas if you EQ before then you're stuck with it and if you EQ'd it wrong then you either have to re-record or do some turd polishing.

How exactly do I EQ? Would I do it in Reaper? Perhaps there's some tutorial of Reaper somewhere teaching all this?
Quote by Rawshik
How exactly do I EQ? Would I do it in Reaper? Perhaps there's some tutorial of Reaper somewhere teaching all this?

Not entirely sure whether you're asking how to actually add an equaliser to a track or what settings you should be using.

If you're asking how to add one to a track you click the little FX button on the track, then click add, and find ReaEQ. Then just click the band you want and you can select the type of EQ (low pass, high pass, notch, band, etc.), the frequency you want it at, how many dB you want to adjust it, and how sharp you want the adjustment to be.

If you're after settings then it depends on what, I'd suggest going on to youtube and looking up How To Mix *insert instrument here*
... Well that makes sense. Do you have any experience with the Scarlett Mix Control?

Edit: Also, is there a way to hear the effect or the EQ'ing while I'm recording? I can only get it to hear the raw track and then it comes in with the effect after I'm done recording.
Last edited by Rawshik at Apr 13, 2013,
Quote by Rawshik
... Well that makes sense. Do you have any experience with the Scarlett Mix Control?

Edit: Also, is there a way to hear the effect or the EQ'ing while I'm recording? I can only get it to hear the raw track and then it comes in with the effect after I'm done recording.

No unfortunately, I don't own a Scarlett so I've got no idea what that is.
There should be a knob somewhere that lets you control how much of your monitoring is direct and how much is from the DAW. But to do that you'll also need to turn on track monitoring (there should be a little speaker icon on the track somewhere).