I want to add a used PRS to my collection. Strictly to play.
I've always been curious about PRS. I guess I'm a classic rock / jam / hard rock player.

I want a PRS that exhibits the quintessential characteristics PRS is known for.
I don't want the budget entry-level model, but I'm also hoping to not need the "custom shop" (Private Stock) premium and pay thousands more.

Which pickup style is considered good or bad? P90? Standard humbucker?

I'm not looking to spend a boatload, but if I find a decent deal b/c of the soft market, I will go for it.
I have seen lots of used PRS under $2000, just need to narrow it down.

Bottom line, what's the best bang for the buck? Custom 22? McCarty? MC58?
Know of any decent ones for sale?

Should I stick with the bird inlays? Does that indicate a higher quality model or build?
Which pickup style is considered good or bad? P90? Standard humbucker?
What's the MC58 about?
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
*Says he wants the quintessential PRS*

*Asks if it should have bird inlays*

Wait a second, this guy was trolling EG a few weeks ago, saying how there's no difference in a guitar's woods and other bullshit.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Wait a second, this guy was trolling EG a few weeks ago, saying how there's no difference in a guitar's woods and other bullshit.

Oh, crap. Yeah, he was also trying to say something about Fender pricing and calling people sheep or something of the like. Good times.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Apr 14, 2013,
Pre 1996 PRS guitars have a very small neck heal when compared to the current guitars.

And the Quintessential PRS would be the PRS Standard 24 since that was the original PRS as of 1986 when PRS became a legit company and not just a garage brand.

If price is an issue, look for a used CE24, these are the bolt on versions and run~$1000ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MissingSomethin
What can I say, I got the GAS.
I am also in the process of starting to shop for a pre-CBS Strat!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597011

Yes, but two identical threads and one that is only slightly different is a bit overkill.

I'd be looking at a McCarty 58 Goldtop, they're stunning in person and sound ridiculously good. I understand (sort of) what you're saying about wanting the quintessential PRS, but all of this is going to be quite subjective. Are you going to be able to play what you pick out, or are you buying blind?
OffsetOffset
I didn't abandon the thread.
I am going to buy several guitars.
For now, a representative PRS and hopefully a pre-CBS vintage.
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
In that case buy several PRS guitars. How much money do you have total to spend? Just a ball park figure is fine. More than $40,000?
i like the modern eagle and 513 models a lot. they are unique. but a CU22/24 are a little more traditional. keep in mind i have only played probably 10 different PRS models in the $3000 range, so i am far from experienced.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/