Page 1 of 2
I plan on trading in my Ibanez RG 1570, I've played both these guitars and like both equally. I play all sorts of music so my question is, which one would be more versatile? I wish I could get them both, but I can't. The Strat is 2012 and the LP is 2012 as well. My amp is a jet city jca22h through an egnater 1x12 g12h30. The genres I play are everything from prog and psych rock to death metal. Convince me to your side!
Both are great guitars, but I think the Strat may be the more versatile of the 2 and AFAIK has a higher resale value (if you care about that).

I'd personally go with the Strat, but that's maybe just biased, Strat-lovin' me.

BTW, is it an HSS or SSS-Strat?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
SSS. Not a fan of HSS. I thought about it though, but I'd probably be even more picky and insane with pickup switching, I'd like to keep whatever I get stock.
Just out of curiosty, have you considered looking for used guitars? Or similar guitars from lesser-known but still highly reputable makers?

Going the former path, and occasionally on the latter, you can stretch your budget a bit further.

For example, a SSS Carvin Bolt could be had under $700...and could be customized quite a bit before you for the same price as a MIA Deluxe Strat.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/bolt

And a Godin xtSA an be had for about $1000.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/xtSADTR/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 14, 2013,
Fair enough! Only a couple in my collection are used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

And what about brands? Are yu open ot other options or is it a case of only the Fender or Gibson will do?

I've decided on these two models after trying many guitars and looking into lots. it's either or, but I like both. So I'm looking for convincing arguments to buy either or.
Go with the strat, but have you compared it to a standard Mia 2012 hss strat? I did and i found the pickups in the deluxe a little to glass compared to the fat 50s in the standard strat.

But then the deluxe comes with more bells and whistles.
Those are two extremely different guitars you're looking at. You say you've played them both, surely you know this is like choosing between chalk & cheese?

My personal preference would be the Gibson LP Studio. I have one & love it. In the past I've also owned an MIA Fender Strat. Thought it was one of the blandest guitars I've ever played and pretty grew to hate it because everything it could do, one of my other (cheaper) guitars did better.

You have to form your own opinion about which guitar you prefer. My opinion, or anyone else's for that matter, will be different to yours.

However, as you are struggling to decide between these two guitars, the chances are neither are right for you. If either one was your perfect guitar, you'd have known as soon as you started playing it.

Keep shopping, try other brands - even other examples of the same models you've already tried will probably be different to the ones you already played.

Only by trying as many guitars as possible can you truly know which will be the right one for you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
They didn't have the standards in yet.

Also both guitars feel really great but different. I love both, but can't afford both.
His decision is not between chalk & cheese.

He's narrowed it down to 2 excellent choices, so it's more like a decision between prime rib & lobster. Whichever he chooses will be satisfying...but may still leave him wondering about the guitar not chosen.

Quote by HammerParty
They didn't have the standards in yet.

Also both guitars feel really great but different. I love both, but can't afford both.

You should try one when you come across one
Get the Les Paul man. Fenders always look cheap and nasty, dat plastic pickguard and bolt neck. The LP will be more versatile too, the new 2013 Gibsons have coil taps.
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Get the Les Paul man. Fenders always look cheap and nasty, dat plastic pickguard and bolt neck. The LP will be more versatile too, the new 2013 Gibsons have coil taps.

C01l t4pz, making teh geetar versitale since Schectahr.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Yeah those guitars are totally different, not sure how you would have a hard time choosing between them.
If you're going to be playing death metal I'd go with a humbucker in the bridge.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I like A LOT of music, I'm not exaggerating when I say this. A lot of my music is based around 60s/70s private press, hard, prog, psych and then I'm into modern stuff as well. Both are prominent during both eras. I'd rather have a guitar SSS or HH, the HSH of my ibanez didnt' fit me and the kramer HSS I had I wasnt' really into either. I eventually will probably get the other one (not any time soon, years down the road) so I'm looking into what would be the better one to buy for the moment. There's so many factors, both feel great, I love both, etc..
I'd say if your current focus is cleans to mid-gain -> Strat
If mid to high-gain -> Les Paul
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
^ He doesn't want an HSS.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'm surprised the single coil squad hasn't chimed in with assertions that an SSS strat can do any form of metal just as well as any other guitar.
Quote by JesusCrisp
C01l t4pz, making teh geetar versitale since Schectahr.

Dude I'm sure you could get a wider variety of tones from a humbucker that turns into a psuedo single coil than just a single coil, no need to get on a high horse and behave like a wannabe smart ass.
Anyways my vote is still for the Les Paul, beautiful guitars, all the heritage and Gibson headstock aside.
Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at Apr 14, 2013,
I'd recommend an upgraded MIM strat. Just put new pups in. I did that with the strat I own. Recently purchased a used LP Studio premium. I love both of them, but I can't keep my hands off the LP lately. I'd also recommend buying used in spite of your resistance. I usually don't buy anything used, but after buying my LP, things have changed. Word of warning, you might find yourself babying an LP. Strats are better road warriors IMOP, but no where near as luxurious. In the end you will probably own both.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm surprised the single coil squad hasn't chimed in with assertions that an SSS strat can do any form of metal just as well as any other guitar.

I normally would be part of that squad and especially noiseless singles do pretty good with high gain.
But just to be fair, for mostly high gain applications I'd rather get something with at least a bridge HB.

Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dude I'm sure you could get a wider variety of tones from a humbucker that turns into a psuedo single coil than just a single coil, no need to get on a high horse and behave like a wannabe smart ass.
Anyways my vote is still for the Les Paul, beautiful guitars, all the heritage and Gibson headstock aside.

I'm sure that the Deluxe Strat with all the fancy switching options has more tones to offer than a Les Paul with coil-splits.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If I had to pick between these guitars I'd go with the Les Paul. They're great sounding instruments for any genre and the set neck is a definite win for me.

And if you find yourself wanting a change or variety in tone you can always swap pups or add coil taps.
No can do mexican, i know the quality that comes with them and there's no point of upgrading a mim when the mia standard is closely priced after upgrading. This is a ridiculously hard choice haha.
Quote by HammerParty
No can do mexican, i know the quality that comes with them and there's no point of upgrading a mim when the mia standard is closely priced after upgrading. This is a ridiculously hard choice haha.

My mexican from around 03 is pretty BA. My friends from 2010. Not so much. Upgrading pups is pretty cheap.
Last edited by RockAddict311 at Apr 15, 2013,
i have owned both, and own seven gibsons and one MIM strat now. i chose that MIM over an MIA i was selling. that is atypical though it just happened to be a nice MIM (1995).

i don't see how either is comparable.

different scale

hardware (strats have trems)

different construction gibsons are set neck, strats are bolt on either way is fine if done right, which in that range of guitars that wouldn't be a problem. neck profile is much different.

fretboard radius is different.

flat top vs carved top. feels a lot different picking and playing and muting on the guitars in the beginning.

HH, SSS

they are pretty much as opposite as you can get.

you have to choose one. go play a few more if you have to.

i would take the LP, but thats just me. (and probably why i own seven gibsons and one strat, not the other way around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Personally I think the strat is a much better choice.
Reasons:
1 versatility, you can make a strat heavy but a les paul will always have a little mud when it's clean
2 comfort, strats are unmatched when it comes to comfort. Between the body having contours, the neck being perfectly shaped and the guitar being fairly light it's hard to argue with it

3 is durability. Just blunt these things are tanks. I've dropped mine more times than I can count. I've gotten to the point where I don't even check for serious damage because I know it won't be there. On the other hand I have a buddy that has a les paul. First time it dropped it cracked the headstock.

As far as sounds, Both sound great. I think price is close. And their both well built guitars but those are my reasons, I know what I would do
Quote by JesusCrisp

I'm sure that the Deluxe Strat with all the fancy switching options has more tones to offer than a Les Paul with coil-splits.

This
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Which is better, a burger or a sports car? Hmm, what's that? You don't know? They're two completely different things and not comparable in any way, shape or form?

These threads have got to stop. Make the board refuse to post any thread when 'vs' is written in the title. Read the rules, people.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Les Pauls feel like you're playing a coffee table and single coil Strats without locking trems aren't really my thing. I'd just play the Ibanez until you decide what you really want. It's a badass guitar.
I'd go with the strat personally, but thats me. You might want to go with a H/S/S if you're going to be playing metal, or perhaps upgrade to a mini humbucker (like a JB JR) later as you may find that for playing metal S/S/S could be a bit lacking.

Then again doesnt have to be that way, around here on the live scene it's becoming really popular for people to use Standard Telecasters (as in single coils) for metal, and they sound surprisingly awesome.

I'd go MIA Fender Strat all the way, but I am biased, the Stratocaster is my favourite style of guitar.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by rander7917
Personally I think the strat is a much better choice.
Reasons:
1 versatility, you can make a strat heavy but a les paul will always have a little mud when it's clean
2 comfort, strats are unmatched when it comes to comfort. Between the body having contours, the neck being perfectly shaped and the guitar being fairly light it's hard to argue with it

3 is durability. Just blunt these things are tanks. I've dropped mine more times than I can count. I've gotten to the point where I don't even check for serious damage because I know it won't be there. On the other hand I have a buddy that has a les paul. First time it dropped it cracked the headstock.

As far as sounds, Both sound great. I think price is close. And their both well built guitars but those are my reasons, I know what I would do

1. i have plenty of gibsons and none have mud in the cleans. it could be your amp or EQing but that is not a valid statement IMO. yes strats are brighter and twangier, but gibsons cleans do not equal mud. that was also a complete preference.

2. i happen to think LP's are more comfortable

3. yes strats are more durable, but i have owned over 60 guitars and played for a long time and have never dropped a guitar. all of my gibsons have straplocks. which is a MUST (IMO) while using a strap. the strap button on a LP isn't in the best place, i would fault gibson for that, but they have been that way over 50 years. also if you tip it up with something else and it falls yea its going to break. there are cases and stands for a reason.

also my strat is very similar heavier than my les pauls (one weight relieved, other chambered). maybe some strats are lighter thouog.

everything is opinion, but your statements are a little more rooted in preference.

_________

but they are way different go play them and feel which is better. they are incomparable.

as far as the popular car statements go, one is a hummer and the other a corvette. much different. both nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by W4RP1G

haven't been on much lately but i'll chime in. totally depends on the single coil pups in ?. i'm a Lace Sensor fan which are single coil pups and can do metal just fine. now if you are talking 50s style singles well no they won't do metal for shit. there is a difference just as there is in humbuckers. think it's safe to say that certain humbuckers do metal styles better than others. ok enough on that.

OP keep this in mind the Deluxe strat is one of fenders higher end production guitars vs the gibby you mentioned which is closer to the bottom of their line (in no way am I saying the studio is a bad or cheap guitar). just a thought. either way you'll end up with a great guitar. being a strat guy i'll say strat
I owned a Strat for all of 4 days before I took it back, I was pissed that I could not get my amp to really crunch without putting some kind of drive pedal in line with the strat, plug in my Explorer and it got the same crunch as my strat did with only 50% of the gain. So yeah if you go strat make sure you have drive pedals to compensate. The MIA Strat will probably hold its value better over a Studio LP, but the LP will probably make you smile more when you play it.

Out of the box the strat will have more tones because of the 5 way, the change generally isn't as dynamic as would be with humbuckers and well two push pulls wired into your LP and you can split to singles then you would have 6 tones on the Strats 5, still leaves two control spots for push pulls that you could then add Phase and Bypass to, get 10 different tones then.

As another poster mentioned the Studio is closer to the bottom end of USA Gibson's; however it is not made from inferior components or anything they simply skip the flame maple top, binding, nitro finishes and most come with solid colors and not bursts, so its all the aesthetic stuff they saved money on, so its still a really great sounding guitar but wont be the prettiest to look at. I had a long talk about guitars with my buddy at L&M and we both came to the conclusion its subjective, get what you like the most and the one that feels the best and tell everyone else to **** off if they criticize your choice!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by monwobobbo
either way you'll end up with a great guitar. being a strat guy i'll say strat

I think this is the best point here. They are both great guitars, get what is right for you. There is more to a guitar than just the pickups anyway.
Page 1 of 2