Here in Cyprus the shops only sell #000 steel wool but everyone recomends #0000 will it be alright to use #000 steel wool to clean my fretboard?
What kind of fretboard and how dirty? Ideally you never use steel wool near a guitar with magnetic pickups. Steel wool used to be the "it" for cleaning frets, but super fine sandpaper is much more effective and overall safer near magnetic pickups.

For maple boards a damp rag is idea, maybe a bit of naptha or window cleaner if its really dirty. Rosewood I'd use a damp rag, maybe a little naptha or lemon oil if its really dirty.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It's rosewood and it is rather mucky, I'd post a pic but I don't know how lol.
I wouldn't use anything stronger than lemon oil and some elbow grease. Steel wool can and will scratch the hell out of rosewood.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by AvengedReno
Here in Cyprus the shops only sell #000 steel wool but everyone recomends #0000 will it be alright to use #000 steel wool to clean my fretboard?

You might have gotten mixed information.

#0000 steewool is ok to shine up your frets. Not the whole fretboard itself. You would normally tape off the board with just the frets exposed, and stay well away from the pickups
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Yeah just try a damp cloth first, it's what I use every month or so and it keeps them looking nice.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
A toothbrush with some lighter fluid (naphtha) or simple green will work fine. You really don't need more than that.

As I've said SO SO SO many times on this forum, DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL FOR ANYTHING.

There are better ways these days - high-grit sandpaper (600-1,200 grit), Gorgomyte, Fret Erasers... Using steel wool will only cause problems down the road (I know, I had to spend $200 on new electronics because of it). It's just more trouble than it is worth.

I've never come across a guitar that couldn't be cleaned up with some lighter fluid and a toothbrush. Even frets that were rusted and dented up was cleaned with varying levels of high-grit sand paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EcuLZyolY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUPAAxqGwgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOYyTHpBMo
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by Phoenix V
You might have gotten mixed information.

#0000 steewool is ok to shine up your frets. Not the whole fretboard itself. You would normally tape off the board with just the frets exposed, and stay well away from the pickups

Tape off the pickups too.

And don't forget to vacuum up the excess shavings before you take the tape off.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Steel wool is not a great thing to use for guitar work. The slivers of steel can get stuck in the pores of the fingerboard and actually get underneath the frets, let alone have a huge bunch of it stuck to your pickups.
The only reason it was used was because that's all there used to be, there was no other alternative.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The only reason it was used was because that's all there used to be, there was no other alternative.

And what is the alternative now?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I might be the only one, but here what I do.
Tape the board with masking tape.
Get my cordless drill
Use one of these
Frets look magical, and there's no mess.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
you can always use a strong magnet to clean up the left over steel wool
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by eddiehimself

Scotch brite cleaning pads are really good and leave nothing that is metallic to get attached to your electronics.

You basically follow the video above only substituting the scotch-brite pad for the Steel wool

Works great for making a neck satin, with minimal mess
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by eddiehimself

Read my post above. I named like 3 things.

And I'll add another here: Nevr Dull

Quote by Robbgnarly
Scotch brite cleaning pads are really good and leave nothing that is metallic to get attached to your electronics.

You basically follow the video above only substituting the scotch-brite pad for the Steel wool

Works great for making a neck satin, with minimal mess

I wouldn't use a scotchbrite pad. WAY too abrasive.
The object here is cleaning, not removing material.

Using anything more than a stiff brush is just idiotic overkill.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Definitely don't use steel wool. It's ok for frets when you have the fretboard and pickups masked off, but I wouldn't use it on wood. It's basically like sandpaper. Why would anyone use sandpaper to clean something that doesn't need polishing?

There is some hate for steel wool when used to polish frets, but that only because it leaves a mess, and because people use it on their fretboard. Mask off the fretboard and clean up the mess and it's fine.
I use steel wool and a wide variety of other things. No cleaner or process is perfect for everything. Steel wool has its place, and it has some serious drawbacks that have already been mentioned. I will continue to use it when I think it will do the best job.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I thought I'd let you all know I went and picked up some pure naptha as I've heard good things about it, I will post results.