bradrox14
144 IQ
Hey, I just want to know if it is possible to record my electric drums on garageband while using the drums sounds that came with the set ; not with the sounds garageband comes with. I'd like this because the GB sounds aren't as good to me.

If its not possible, is it possible with Audacity?
Yes I know, beginner in recording...

Thanks in advance!
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck
663 IQ
You can record a stereo track using the headphone out or whatever your kit has but you wont be able to record each kit piece separately that i'm aware of.

You might want to try drum samples using something like Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Record midi from your drum kit (it'll support it in some capacity) and then use that to trigger a sample based drum vst.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
bradrox14
144 IQ
So if I go into GB, would I use select software instrument?
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,210 IQ
Yes, that's what you'd select. I'm not sure if Garage Band has a drum kit or not.

I'd seriously advise NOT using Garageband, because it's not good. Reaper is available for Mac OS, so I'd get that if you can.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
bradrox14
144 IQ
Yea but I'm still wondering how to NOT use the crappy GB sounds, I want the sounds that cam with the drums.
But yea I have reaper, never explored how to use it but i'll try.
GonzoBeatz
199 IQ
You've confused a lot of people, This is what you mean right,

You want to record your electric drums using the inbuilt sounds, NOT the GB samples?

If this is the case listen to the first guy. Take whatever audio outputs it has into your soundcard. Then record them on garage band by setting up an audio channel
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I'd be surprised if the sounds in his electric kit we're better than a sampler. He'd be better off dropping $30 on the entry level of Steven Slate drums and using that.

No one was confused, it's just a bad idea to record drums that way.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I already said... getting a decent drum machine (http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/custom.php)

Then use the electric kit to trigger that via midi. Electric kits in built sounds are pretty bad unless you're using a very expensive one and even then these vsti's still sound better. It's almost completely useless to record a drum kit in only two tracks. You can't do anything with it.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
bradrox14
144 IQ
Ive tried, it doesnt work. Ive also tried using a Tascam interface; nothing works
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck
663 IQ
What kit are you using? Is it USB or MIDI? Have you set the output on the drum machine correctly?

How about on the DAW, have you set up MIDI correctly on there? A lot of DAWs allow you to select specific controllers and it will configure the ports for you.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
ChemicalFire is right. Here is how you do it:

1. Record the midi out of the e-drum kit to the midi in for GB. This will produce a midi track in your software with all your drum hits exactly as you played them.

2-option A: Run the midi out from your computer to the midi in of your e-drums. Play the midi track from your computer so that it triggers the sounds in your hardware drum module that is part of your e-kit. This will mean your entire drum performance will play back as a single stereo track.

2-option B: Run the midi out from your computer to the midi in of your e-drums. Play the midi track - one drum at a time (say, kick), while muting the others - from your computer so that it triggers the sounds in your hardware drum module that is part of your e-kit. This will allow you to have each of your drums on its own track, giving your more options for mixing.

3. Run the audio line outs from your drum module to audio inputs into GB. Record the results (whether you chose option A or B) as many times as necessary.

4. Zoom in on your midi track and the resulting wav files. You'll probably notice a few ms of delay between the midi events and the audio events. It takes time for the signal to go to the drum module and back into the recorder. It should only be a few ms - maybe up to about 20ms or so. Move the audio drum files backwards in time to match.

And if you find that you actually DO like some software-based drums better.... no worries. You've still got a midi drum file that represents an actual human performance, which is the number one thing that differentiates a great sounding midi drum track from a not-so-good one.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
bradrox14
144 IQ
Finallyyy gottt ittt
using interface

thanks everyone for replying
bradrox14
144 IQ
Except I only have the drums coming from the right and i can't get them to pan to the left or center or whatever at all
diabolical
660 IQ
You should be able to record the midi into GB, then trigger the drum brain back from GB and record the audio from that either in stereo or channel by channel.

If you want to do channel by channel you can say clone the original performance into 4 tracks, then from track 1 delete everything but the kicks, track 2 - delete everything but snare and so forth.