Hey guys, need a bit of opinion on the next gear. I've plans to move into an apartment. For logistical considerations, I can't move my Mesa Mark V + 212 in with me.

So I'm gonna get another amp. I'm stuck between the Two-Rock EXO 15 OR the Mesa Mini Rectifier.

Yes I'm aware that they're 2 very different amps. I have considered other options like the OR15, H&K TubeMeister, ENGL IronBall, BlackStar HT20 and due to features, capabilities, overall sound, ease of availability, dealers here in Singapore etc, I've decided that i'll pick from the 2 above mentioned amps.

I can't play them, and have to order either in, so I'm a little stuck with sound.

By and large, what is important to me is that I can get very chimey and responsive clean tones. At the same time, the amp should still be able to get a tight, percussive metal tone.

So from those who have tried it, can the EXO 15 achieve a tight percussive metal tone with ODs? The videos on Youtube suggests that it can, but from what I'm hearing it seems that as you approach a rock sound, the overall sound seems to start getting muddy.

I'm aware that the headroom is affecting the sound.

So any thoughts on this?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by ragingkitty in the thread titled: Which amp could do the job? Help a newbie!
Save up and get an amp that'll meet your needs. As a personal experience, I got a Mesa MkV, and it does everything I want it to... it's versatile enough that I've not thought about getting another amp.

Oh and free bump day
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by randomguy2000
Oh and free bump day

Well I can't very well bring a 100-watter into a rental place for reasons of security and not wanting the fuzz knocking at my door when i'm in the rental apartment.

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
why cant you use the mesa mark 5? dont get rid of the mesa.

this situation is based 100% on the amp and if the design and control allow a usable low volume sound. wattage is a mute point. 1 watt can be too loud for an apartment. some 15 watt amps are just gonna be way too loud by design whereas some 100 watts might handle very well at low volume.

for example, i would find a Dr. Z very hard to use in an apartment. those amp go from 0 to F-in loud real quick. even the 15-30 watt models
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
You don't want the EXO 15. It's way too loose and saggy for metal, and no OD can tighten it up enough to make it useable for that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ragingkitty
Well I can't very well bring a 100-watter into a rental place for reasons of security and not wanting the fuzz knocking at my door when i'm in the rental apartment.

Master volume

Are you going to gig with this or just play at home?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by ikey_
why cant you use the mesa mark 5? dont get rid of the mesa.

this situation is based 100% on the amp and if the design and control allow a usable low volume sound. wattage is a mute point. 1 watt can be too loud for an apartment. some 15 watt amps are just gonna be way too loud by design whereas some 100 watts might handle very well at low volume.

for example, i would find a Dr. Z very hard to use in an apartment. those amp go from 0 to F-in loud real quick. even the 15-30 watt models

I'm not getting rid of the Mesa... I'm just leaving it at home rather than bring it to the rental appartment. Granted I am very aware that wattage doesn't always have an impact on volume, but rather than haul something like a Dual Rect and have it take up space in the a room, I'd rather get the Mini Rectifier which takes up less space.

Nope before someone asks, there is no used market at reasonable prices for Mesa where I live.

Quote by R45VT
Master volume

Are you going to gig with this or just play at home?

Just home use. For an idenical circuit, Punch for punch a 10 watter will sound somewhat quieter than a 100 watter, even if they are both f-ing loud.

Quote by mmolteratx
You don't want the EXO 15. It's way too loose and saggy for metal, and no OD can tighten it up enough to make it useable for that.

I had that suspicion so.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Get the Mini-Rec so we can all have an awesome review
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
i disagree. if they are both outputting equal, then yes. output to the speakers will multiply DBs differently, and more wattage will pump higher DBs. its science.

however, a design is different than another, and it doesnt not mean amps will sound good at low volume, and amps output wattage differently based on how they are set, and the actual pots differ....so 3 on one amp might be 5 on another.

like i said, its the map and how it responds. go play a 10 watt Dr. Z. mofoin loud. those amps were meant for playing rock live....i dont think Mr. Z envisioned those amps in the bedroom thats for darn sure.
_________

regardless, i sense a 1x12 + barron snot watt. if that fits in your budget...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)