I recently recorded my first song, and would love some feedback, particularly tips on how to get the mixing a bit more professional sounding. Any critique is more than welcome.

Shifting Sands

Thanks fellas. I would also be more than happy to critique your songs.

EDIT: Just uploaded it to my profile, didnt want to seem like some asshole trying to get youtube views. so-- http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ryanthestone/music/all/play1185502
Last edited by Ryanthestone at Apr 14, 2013,
Thx for C4Cing my recordings bro.

I find it funny that your rhythm track for the intro sounds just like my breakdown for Raid

I liked it quite a bit. The ambience stuff at the beginning and end were cool, but a tad excessive in length. The drums definitely have variety throughout the song. It was difficult to put vocals with the riffs until about 1:50ish. Still solid though. I'd give it a solid 7.5 to 8, and I'm a stiff grader.

How'd you mix it? I mean how many guitar tracks, how'd you pan them, etc.
The solo had good taste, but was a tad thin sounding.

Thx again
Quote by bdof
Thx for C4Cing my recordings bro.

I find it funny that your rhythm track for the intro sounds just like my breakdown for Raid

I liked it quite a bit. The ambience stuff at the beginning and end were cool, but a tad excessive in length. The drums definitely have variety throughout the song. It was difficult to put vocals with the riffs until about 1:50ish. Still solid though. I'd give it a solid 7.5 to 8, and I'm a stiff grader.

How'd you mix it? I mean how many guitar tracks, how'd you pan them, etc.
The solo had good taste, but was a tad thin sounding.

Thx again

Thanks for the feedback man. For the guitar tracks I always had at least two overdubbing guitar recordings for the lead and rhythm guitar. I kept the pan at L80 L20 0 R20 and R80 for pretty much the entire song. I mic my Peavey Special 212 transtube amp for the guitar sound, and i have to give my amp full credit for the big full sound i was able to get (although i think it gets a bit too muddy at times). Drums and Bass are all MIDI sequences with added reverb and compression.

But yeah man, thanks again for the critique, i love talking about writing recording and mixing music.
Good job! I love the rhythm guitar tone, although the solo could do with a boost in volume and a bit heavier distortion to make it a bit more ballsy. My only other gripe is the drums aren't bassy enough.
Quote by BENDO789
Good job! I love the rhythm guitar tone, although the solo could do with a boost in volume and a bit heavier distortion to make it a bit more ballsy. My only other gripe is the drums aren't bassy enough.

Weren't bass-y enough? I heard a lot of bass in there, but I think what you mean to say is that they should have been louder. I've gotta say I'm liking this song. The riffs are there and structuring is good. For an amateur recording this is pretty good. The mix is the only complaint. Good job! Check out the song in my sig if you want.
Quote by CF_Mono
Weren't bass-y enough? I heard a lot of bass in there, but I think what you mean to say is that they should have been louder. I've gotta say I'm liking this song. The riffs are there and structuring is good. For an amateur recording this is pretty good. The mix is the only complaint. Good job! Check out the song in my sig if you want.

Thanks for the feedback man. I was having a bit of trouble making the bass "pop out", and listening to your recording (pretty good btw) you seemed like you did a good job with this, do you have any suggestions on how to do it? I tried changing the equalization, turning up the volume, but nothing really seemed to work. any ideas? Im a bit of a newbie with equalization and mixing.