Hi,

I just purchased a used Carvin V3 head and matching cab from Guitar Center. It has to ship from another store, so it should hopefully be here later this week. Anyway, this is the second time I've bought this amp. 7 months ago I purchased the out-of-production combo version of this amp. Long story short, I've been without an amp for 6 months because Pro Coverage completely screwed me over. They refused (on more than one occasion) to do the repair that was necessary despite it being within the limit of liability. After getting Guitar Center involved, I finally got the situation sorted out this past week (Guitar Center told Pro Coverage that they had to refund me the cost of the coverage because they treated me so poorly) (I still lost a good deal of money though).

Anyway, I will never purchase Pro Coverage again because of this experience. But, that leaves me in a predicament. Since I am buying used, it would be nice to have some sort of coverage on this amp. Do any of you know of a good coverage plan that has a reasonable cost?

This is the amp that I've been wanting for several years now, so I'd like to not lose it again if at all possible. Thanks!
Quote by TJHague
Hi,

I just purchased a used Carvin V3 head and matching cab from Guitar Center. It has to ship from another store, so it should hopefully be here later this week. Anyway, this is the second time I've bought this amp. 7 months ago I purchased the out-of-production combo version of this amp. Long story short, I've been without an amp for 6 months because Pro Coverage completely screwed me over. They refused (on more than one occasion) to do the repair that was necessary despite it being within the limit of liability. After getting Guitar Center involved, I finally got the situation sorted out this past week (Guitar Center told Pro Coverage that they had to refund me the cost of the coverage because they treated me so poorly) (I still lost a good deal of money though).

Anyway, I will never purchase Pro Coverage again because of this experience.
But, that leaves me in a predicament. Since I am buying used, it would be nice to have some sort of coverage on this amp. Do any of you know of a good coverage plan that has a reasonable cost?

This is the amp that I've been wanting for several years now, so I'd like to not lose it again if at all possible. Thanks!

You've answered your own question. Coverage is going to cost more, and often isn't needed. If you are going used, then you should understand the risks of getting a faulty product. If you have a chance to try the used amp before purchasing it, then do so. And test everything to make sure it is in working condition.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
As far as I know, I didn't answer my own question. I asked if there are any good coverage plans at a reasonable cost and merely stated that the one that I know of is not worth it. I'm asking if there is any other protection I could buy for this purchase.

I know that getting coverage will cost more, but if it's coverage that will actually do what I paid them to do, should an issue come up, I would be willing to pay for it. I do understand the risks of purchasing used (as stated, I have experienced them first-hand) which is exactly why I am interested in finding quality coverage.

I would buy new if I could but, at this stage of my life, that is simply not an option.

EDIT: I just reread this and it sounds kinda snarky, that's not my intention. Just clarifying that I was hoping to get suggestions of alternatives to Pro Coverage (if there are any) that actually provide the service you pay for.
Last edited by TJHague at Apr 15, 2013,
Tbh outside of the standard retailer protection programs i'm not aware of any other ones that would do what you need. Most people who end up taking guitar playing as a serious hobby end up learning how to troubleshoot most issues with their equipment. For everything else they resort to taking it to a knowledgeable tech.
That's what I thought would be the answer. I actually know a fair amount about electronics and would probably be able to fix it myself should I have to. I successfully debugged and fixed my Peavey Valveking when it crapped out on me. But, given that this is a nicer amp than that was, I'm a little less inclined to want to poke around in there. If I have to, I will I suppose.

I don't know of any good techs in my area, either. The first time I bought the V3 the first place it went, which was local, kept it for 3.5 months before they sent it back saying they couldn't fix it. Plus they hold on to it for a month before they give you a quote and the quote costs $25, which I'm not ok with.