hey guys, so im a total noob when it comes to this stuff. basically, im buyng an avatar cab. ive decided im going with some greenbacks. but im not sure if I can/should run all greenbacks. ill be running into a Egnater vengeance 120w head. I thought about 2 greenbacks and 2 g12h30's. bad idea? what do I look for when it comes to ohms and watts for each speaker?
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
hey guys, so im a total noob when it comes to this stuff. basically, im buyng an avatar cab. ive decided im going with some greenbacks. but im not sure if I can/should run all greenbacks. ill be running into a Egnater vengeance 120w head. I thought about 2 greenbacks and 2 g12h30's. bad idea? what do I look for when it comes to ohms and watts for each speaker?

What can your Egnater run? 4,8,16 ? Or 4,8 or 8,16?

What are the wattage of the greenbacks?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Your cabinet should have higher wattage and ohms.
A lot of people tell you the ohms HAVE to match, but they don't; it's still probably a good idea to match them if you can though.
Your cab shouldn't have higher ohms - just higher wattage. Depending on the amp, there's some wiggle room on the impedance, but given the choice, it would be foolish not to just match them. Your amp runs more efficiently when matched.

You usually want a bit of a buffer, too, so I would not use 4 greenbacks with a 120 watt amp. Traditionally, the more distortion you play with, the more wattage you want from your speakers. Most high-gain amps sound best with minimal power and speaker breakup.
Quote by Sullinger
Your cabinet should have higher wattage and ohms.
A lot of people tell you the ohms HAVE to match, but they don't; it's still probably a good idea to match them if you can though.

Thats a pretty ballsy statement to make. Not all amps can take a load 1 step higher than rated... it does strain the OT. Some makers do say you can go 1 higher- and it will provide a different sound.

Generally your speaker combination should be rated higher than your amp.

Edit: I got ninja'd.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 14, 2013,
my egnater has settings on the back for. 4,8,16. there is no dual setting. and im pretty lost on what you guys are saying. will all greenbacks work? 2 greenbacks and 2 g12h30's?
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
my egnater has settings on the back for. 4,8,16. there is no dual setting. and im pretty lost on what you guys are saying. will all greenbacks work? 2 greenbacks and 2 g12h30's?

Your head is flexible. It can do 4 ohm, 8 or 16. Your speaker cab can be 4,8 or 16. Depending on how you wire it.

You are getting a 4x12 built right? Picking your own speakers?

Generally you want the speaker wattage higher than the head.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Eminence GB128 is a 50 watt greenback clone and the WGS Reaper HP is a 50 watt G12h30 clone.

I have also played cab that had Eminence Private jacks(agreenback clone 50 watt) and Eminence Wizards (g12h30 style 75 watts)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe I'm wrong; I just know that I can plug my Fender Champion 600 (4 ohms) into my cabinet (which is 8 ohms)
your probably fine as your doing 100-110 watts. technically you atleast want as much wattage as teh head you have, however, do you play with your amp maxed?

99% of the time, you will not come close to outputting the full 120 watts, not unless your probably over 6+ on master and 6+ on channel. thats probably not even there.

generally good quality speakers can handle more than their rated wattage. actually, van halen for example ran greenbacks in his 4x12s. some of those old speakers were only 20 watts (however, he probably has 2 + 4x12 cabs going).

is it a best practice? no. will it work? probably fine unless you play CRAZY loud. OR, just buy the Reaper HP versions. 2 reaper HP and 2 greenbacks will cover you.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by R45VT
Your head is flexible. It can do 4 ohm, 8 or 16. Your speaker cab can be 4,8 or 16. Depending on how you wire it.

You are getting a 4x12 built right? Picking your own speakers?

Generally you want the speaker wattage higher than the head.

correct on the 4x12 and correct on picking my own speakers. if I don't have the speaker wattage higher, will it blow the speakers? or sound shitty? or? haha
nah, read my post. its insurance. at some point, your amp begins to pump out too much wattage, and the speakers cant handle it. tehy blow. generally you REALLY have to push them, your map will probably be running flat out dimed.

with your specified setup, your running 100-110 watts, which is fairly close. tehcnically, you may run your amp and not even push the speakers 50%. if you played with your amp on 10 all the time, then you would have a problem.

to exagerate the explanation - if you ram your amp through 1 greenback speaker (25 watts total), it would probably blow easily and quickly.

its like redlining a car. if you drive 50 mph the whole day, no big deal. if you are flooring it every second you drive, something is going to give.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Sullinger
Maybe I'm wrong; I just know that I can plug my Fender Champion 600 (4 ohms) into my cabinet (which is 8 ohms)

A champ can cope easily. When you start getting into big power things get scarier. Some amps cope fine (like old Fenders) and others don't. It is the safer way to have the mismatch though, the biggest danger is a lower impedance cab.

TS. go with 16 ohm speakers in a 4x12. It allows you to choose between 16 ohm and 4 ohm depending on how you wire it or 8 + 8 in stereo. 8 ohm speakers suck, it limits the possible useable configurations. ie if you wire them in parallel you get 2 ohms which of no use to anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification