Page 1 of 2
So I've just heard a calling to take up guitar and start the hard rock revolution, 1 month and 24 days away from my 21st birthday.

I've been a musician since I was 8. My school let us choose an instrument to start in 3rd grade, and I randomly choose being a drummer. I went down to books-a-million (R.I.P) and picked up the coolest looking album I could find, which was The Who live at leeds. For those of you who are familiar with this album, you'll understand what I mean when I say the opening track just blew my 8 year old mind the **** out.

From that second, I knew "this is the shit I'm going to do", and rock n roll became an obsession. From that moment on I would live, breath and bleed hard rock.

Skip to right after high school. I'm flying home from Boston, and stop into a bookstore to get Keith Richards new book. They didn't have it, so I got the Guns n roses book watch you bleed. I was somewhat directionless at this point. Music was still life for me, but I didn't really care if I made a living from it, I just liked doing it for me.

This book completely changed that. For some reason, on that plane, that book elicited the strongest ****ing feeling I had EVER felt in my entire ****ing life. It was like being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer- THIS IS THE SHIT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR, and right then I knew my destiny was to launch the hard rock revolution.

GNR became a new obsession.

I remember being in the airport 2 weeks later and using this internet station with a payphone-style phone crammed to my ear just I could listen to the nightrain live era solo again before boarding the flight. I'd spent every second thinking about what I was gonna do, and how the hard rock revolution was gonna look out.

So, I hitch hiked from south florida to hollywood.

I've developed this idea for a new genre of hard rock I call "the 110% style." It would take a long time to explain, but its very guitar orientated and would push the conventional perceptions of what guitar playing can be to new limits.

I've always thought that if you had a magic guitar that would play whatever you thought in your head, most people would still suck because they wouldnt really know WHAT to think about, which is the true skill. thee physically ability to move your fingers around isnt the real "skill" so much as its just something that takes time. true musical ability is the element of musiciality and personality that makes a legendary album or mesmorizing solo.

while i dont have any experience with guitar, what i have done is LISTENED, LISTENED LISTENED for hours and hours over the years. i just sometimes stop and write a song or riff in my head, weaving in and out, hearing the sounds in my mind, thinking "if only i knew how to play that"

I can't help but think that if I were 18/19 and stood out on hollywood boulevard with a sign saying "starting hard rock revolution, next guns n roses, need 4 guys ready to die for rock n roll" with a CD player playing, shredding, some really cool shit might have happened.

but im almost 21, and now it feels like im not so young anymore, and wouldnt be quite so cool. slash was younger than I am now when he got signed, and released appetite 3 days before his 22nd birthday.

i really need to get moving.

so, id be willing to practice 8 hours a day and live in breath this. so, what i want to know is, how long would it take to get to that kind of level? technically i would just have to be good enough to play everything on appetite for destruction and the live era albums. if someone really dug in, how good could they be in 3 months?

it doesnt really matter what you say as im just going to do it anyway, but im curious to see your responses nonetheless.
Can we get a tl;dr up in this batch?
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
that is a large wall of text
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
You would probably be as good as anyone after they had been playing for three months.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
tl:dr he wants to learn guitar and start a hard rock revolution. how good can he be in a few months?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
tl:dr he wants to learn guitar and start a hard rock revolution. how good can he be in a few months?

depends

TS, Have you got some button up shirts that you can leave half open and some bitchin sunnies?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Probably not best to ask in The Pit...

But yeah, you'll only be as good as the work you put into it.
eh, you might be able to play some Green Day....
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
3 months? Enjoy your wonderwall, crazy train, and stairway to heaven.

Also, I will leave this open, because drummers.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
3 months? Enjoy your wonderwall, crazy train, and stairway to heaven.

Also, I will leave this open, because drummers.

and that one deep purple song, can't forget that

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by Nelsean

What a god

And a sexy beast of a man

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
It depends how much time you put in to playing with proper technique. If you're really dedicated and have knowledge of technique, I'd say in 3 months you could probably play something like Back In Black or Smells Like Teen Spirit and not sound bad.
You could have probably been halfway there if you started instead of writing that post.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
The thing about playing instruments, is that you're going to not be that good for the first 2 years. But after that you'll be pretty good.
Quote by AdamVeritas7
I've always thought that if you had a magic guitar that would play whatever you thought in your head, most people would still suck because they wouldnt really know WHAT to think about, which is the true skill. thee physically ability to move your fingers around isnt the real "skill" so much as its just something that takes time. true musical ability is the element of musiciality and personality that makes a legendary album or mesmorizing solo..

look at dis drummer nigga tellin a forum of guitar players what it means to be a musician
Quote by Nelsean

this made me laugh
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Apr 14, 2013,
That depends how much time you actually play in those 3 months. If you only play 10 hours, you would've have had much development as someone who has played for 30 hours in 3 months.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I went to guitar center's blues compeittion a few years ago, there was some black guy that had just started playing guitar a year or tw before while he was in iraq, he was really ****ing good, it's never too late to learn
sunbather is shit
Well that depends on how you practice.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Nelsean

Forget Metallica or Britney Spears or whatever else it is that the U.S. play on repeat for torture in their military prisons. They should have just this video projected onto a wall played really loud on repeat for weeks on end.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
Forget Metallica or Britney Spears or whatever else it is that the U.S. play on repeat for torture in their military prisons. They should have just this video projected onto a wall played really loud on repeat for weeks on end.

Demon Hunter, actually. Not even kidding.
Stick to being a drummer buddy, lots more opportunities for bands.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
there are too many guitarists as it is
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Rock is a dead genre, stop living in the past.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
you'd be better suited by buying a macbook air and sucking lots of dick to get your music played in clubs, tbh
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
depends

TS, Have you got some button up shirts that you can leave half open and some bitchin sunnies?

This! Playing music is all about fashion.

Depending on the weather, the shirt can be left out of the equation. I mean all shirts.
As good as the time you take to practice everything right and not take the easy way out. Bad habits will bite you in the ass sooner or later.

Good luck
Playing guitar since 2010

Quote by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so fuck that guy
So, you've been drumming for 13 years. Why not just get famous doing that?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
If you've been drumming for years you should know how much you sucked after 3 months, and how much other people sucked after even 2-3 years.

If you stood at Hollywood BLVD with that sign you wouldn't have a band, I'm pretty sure of that.

21 is young and you arn't Slash. Just get a Teacher asap and start learning about song construction. Chances are you won't make it but if you're dedicated you can be working within the industry in a few years.

You're a drummer, you're a minority in demand so utilise that.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by ThisIsBS
As good as the time you take to practice everything right and not take the easy way out. Bad habits will bite you in the ass sooner or later.

Good luck

This advice is bullshit.

Betchya never heard that one before.
RIP Adam
Last edited by SexyLikeAPig at Apr 15, 2013,
Not sure if serious...
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Page 1 of 2