I'm flirting with the idea of not going to college for music, but rather to possibly major in Psychology and Neuroscience so I can study Schizophrenia and other mental diseases. However I'm wondering if double majoring in both would be a good idea or if I should have one a major and another a minor. Also if there's anyone out there who is taking the same or a similar path, what is it like? Tips? etc

Thanks!
Quote by theunforgivn
I'm flirting with the idea of not going to college for music, but rather to possibly major in Psychology and Neuroscience so I can study Schizophrenia and other mental diseases. However I'm wondering if double majoring in both would be a good idea or if I should have one a major and another a minor. Also if there's anyone out there who is taking the same or a similar path, what is it like? Tips? etc

Thanks!

Study neuroscience with a minor in psychology. Definitely not the other way around.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Study neuroscience with a minor in psychology. Definitely not the other way around.

absolutely this. neuroscience will actually be able to feed you.
Go Veg.
Quote by im not mental
absolutely this. neuroscience will actually be able to feed you.

Lol. Problem with psychology is that it is a very broad topic and very much a social science. This means you will get a lot of classes that are low level and that you and employers don't care about at all. neuroscience is more of the same, but at a steady level and regarded better than psychology.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

This.

You can always keep music on the side, you know.

EDIT: What were you planning on with music? Music performance, education, therapy, etc?
Last edited by schecter ftw at Apr 14, 2013,
Double major in something that gives you breadth. Neuroscience and psychology have so much overlap (with certain disciplines of neuroscience being neural correlates of psychology) that it'd be pretty useless to do both.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Quote by redandwhite12
Just out curiosity why the interest in Schizophrenia ?

Same interest everyone has with it: it sounds cools and the way the media portrays it is super awesome sauce.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Go with neuroscience, everyone and their dog has a psychology degree. Double major/minor with something other than psychology (biology, perhaps, but I'm biased).
major in neuroscience and minor in psychology is badass

i never even thought of learning neuroscience but i ****ing dig neuroscience man

neuroscience is the tits

edit: psychology always pisses me off tho, double major in neuroscience and neuroscience
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by theunforgivn

Thanks!

If your primary interest in psychology is psychopathology (a lot of schools also call it abnormal psychology), then a minor alone will cover all of that. I'm majoring in psychology now and few of my classes have focused on psychopathology. Mostly, the emphasis is on prepping for specializing in grad school and becoming a good researcher (neither of which I'm interested in doing specifically for psychology).

Hell, even if you're interested in research & experimental psychology, neuroscience will be a solid major choice, since some of the most interesting stuff in the field is in sensation and perception (which is primarily focused on neuropsychology).