So pickups with covers, for me sound smoother with less spiky trebles.

Do you guy prefer with our without, on les pauls and 335s etc.
In my experience, raising or lowering the pickup a bit makes more of a difference than cover/no cover. So it's mostly an aesthetic thing.

I like them off.
I have heard that pickups with covers (depending on how well potted they are) can be a bit more microphonic than uncovered pups. Can anybody shine any light on this?
Quote by cdr_salamander
I have heard that pickups with covers (depending on how well potted they are) can be a bit more microphonic than uncovered pups. Can anybody shine any light on this?

I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate as I have bought many humbuckers with covers on them and have then taken the covers off and have found no difference in them at all. However, I do prefer them without the cover. Simply an aesthetic choice.
i havent heard much of a dirfferent with or without the covers

but i have noticed i only like covered pick ups on SG LP and hollowbody guitars
strats and superstrat IMO look nasty with the covers on
I take them off but I don't hear much of a difference
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Pft. It's like asking if a girl's better with clothes on or off...

In all seriousness, i prefer them with covers off. I can't hear much difference in sound, but at least it looks cooler.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Off....I like them on for Les Paul and SG hummies.

I don't ever hear a difference though. The only thing that could be on my guitar that really bothers me is DUST.
I. HATE. DUST.

Also, neck and string grime.
Off. Except on some Les Pauls and 335.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Lucky-Luciano
So pickups with covers, for me sound smoother with less spiky trebles.

Do you guy prefer with our without, on les pauls and 335s etc.

Cork.

I can smell it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I prefer them with the covers on
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Off....I like them on for Les Paul and SG hummies.

I don't ever hear a difference though. The only thing that could be on my guitar that really bothers me is DUST.
I. HATE. DUST.

Also, neck and string grime.

I know. I hate how dusts gathers below the strings, in between the pickups, and in between the bridge pickup and the bridge. It annoys me sooo much. And I play my guitar everyday.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
IMO, it depends on the guitar. Uncovered pups in a 335 is going to look silly, and covered pups in a superstrat are going to look silly. That's just me though. Like forementioned, covered pups generally look good in vintage-style guitars like LPs, SGs and hollowbodies.
Quote by KasanDude
Pft. It's like asking if a girl's better with clothes on or off...

In all seriousness, i prefer them with covers off. I can't hear much difference in sound, but at least it looks cooler.

aesthetically it depends on the guitar I think, explorers and SGs look way cooler with the cover on. strats not so much
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
Last edited by arabmetallion at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by Dr Sixstring
I know. I hate how dusts gathers below the strings, in between the pickups, and in between the bridge pickup and the bridge. It annoys me sooo much. And I play my guitar everyday.

I bought a small paintbrush with really light bristles to sweep that shit away. I works so much better than reaching under the strings to clean it out. It works really great on the bridge and headstock areas too.

Edit: Everywhere I've lived, there's been a very high presence of dust that just never goes away. So I'm constantly cleaning my guitars. It's quite annoying.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 14, 2013,
I think that there are times when both are cool. I like uncovered pickups on SGs, but I like the covered as well. Les Pauls only look good with covers or creme uncovered pickups.

As far as sound, I can't say I have enough evidence to prove it, but I highly doubt there is much of an audible difference.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i don think there is much difference, but common sense in music of more crap = bad tells me that removing 1 less thing between a sound wave and your pup is probably better in some scientific way. if given the option aside from looks, i would probably take uncovered from some musical integrity standpoint.

...if it made my guitar fugly then probably not. negligible difference after all. hey things add up, like buying high quality patch cables etc etc etc
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Eh, there's only so much of it that I buy into.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i have an air compressor with a 40 gallon tank and just use it to clean my gear, major blowing. it doesn't just blow it in either, it gets it out as well, 7 hp compressor, takes 10 seconds. and its done.

but i don't like pickup covers, but i don't like SC's where the slugs are at different positions on anything but a tele or strat. for example i hate the pole pieces sticking out on my ibanez prestiges. i understand the significance of the benefits, i just don't like them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have an air compressor with a 40 gallon tank and just use it to clean my gear, major blowing. it doesn't just blow it in either, it gets it out as well, 7 hp compressor, takes 10 seconds. and its done.

Nice. I used to do that. Works great. Especially on the 3/5 way switches.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Nice. I used to do that. Works great. Especially on the 3/5 way switches.

works nice on pots too. i have fixed a lot of scratchy pots that were just loud because i could blow the shit out of there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't care as long as they match. Either all on or all off, not a combination. And it depends hugely on the guitar. A black guitar can look great with whatever in my opinion, for all the rest, it varies.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
works nice on pots too. i have fixed a lot of scratchy pots that were just loud because i could blow the shit out of there.

Oh yeah! Forgot about the pots...Yeah, the compressor really is the best way to go overall.
iv never even thought of taking them off/putting them on.
i just dont give a ****