It's pool weather here in Texas (86 degrees Fahrenheit) so some of my friends just got together and went to the pool. I couldn't go because I have an ethics quiz to take care of, but today was the first time in awhile where my self-esteem hit a low. I have bad acne on my shoulders and back (which is really obvious because of my pasty white flesh) which makes me not want to go to the pool or keep my shirt on while in the pool. Anyone else deal with this crap? I've cut way back on dairy and desserts which has reduced my acne but I can't ever seem to get it to go away.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
If anyone makes fun of you, you have an arsenal of puss filled skin bombs to deal with them. Swim on, sucka.
This isn't a reason to not join the sexy off
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
My gay fat friend suggest you get st. Ives apricot scrub.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Man up and stop being a pussy bitch. Judging from your post you're a pale skinny white suburban kid who listens to Blood on the Dance Floor in their free time and likes to play butt-penis with your brother.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My gay fat friend suggest you get st. Ives apricot scrub.

I already use some sort of Neutragina body scrub. Is St. Ives that much better? Because I've put a bit of money into scrubs and creams, and while they do help somewhat, it's very disappointing how they don't help enough (and sometimes leave my skin irritated).
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Dont be worrying about it. The sun on your back is probably the best thing to clear it up.
I have exactly the same problem, and I don't really care. It's all about your self esteem and how you feel about yourself, it's not that big of a deal. What makes you uncomfortable? Is it girls, if anyone is going to mock you, or generally people noticing it?
In my experience

1: Get enough sleep. I get spots when I am barely sleeping
2: Exercise.
3: Wash once a day and moisturise immediately after.
4: Changing bedclothes. Bacteria and oil cause spots and well you know what yer pillow's like after a night's sleeping.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by meatjesus
I have exactly the same problem, and I don't really care. It's all about your self esteem and how you feel about yourself, it's not that big of a deal. What makes you uncomfortable? Is it girls, if anyone is going to mock you, or generally people noticing it?

I think I just hate the fact that I didn't get this until senior year of high school and it hasn't gone away since. I guess if a girl cared enough about acne on my back to not do anything with me then they're not the kind of girl I would want to be around anyway. But I do sunburn easily which means I avoid the sun, which keeps me white and the cycle perpetuates.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
I think I just hate the fact that I didn't get this until senior year of high school and it hasn't gone away since. I guess if a girl cared enough about acne on my back to not do anything with me then they're not the kind of girl I would want to be around anyway. But I do sunburn easily which means I avoid the sun, which keeps me white and the cycle perpetuates.

And what's so wrong about being really pale? I seriously don't see the problem :/
I have pretty severe eczema, and I have found that bathing instead of showering helps keep my skin from becoming dry and irritated. You could try bathing instead of showering and see if it helps, especially since you say it is localized around your back and shoulders.
Quote by meatjesus
And what's so wrong about being really pale? I seriously don't see the problem :/

It's not necessarily a bad thing. It just makes it easier to get sunburned and it makes my acne really noticeable. The first is a practical reason, the second aesthetic.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I have pretty severe eczema, and I have found that bathing instead of showering helps keep my skin from becoming dry and irritated. You could try bathing instead of showering and see if it helps, especially since you say it is localized around your back and shoulders.

The tub in my dorm is gross to me, and I don't like the feel of bathing:/ But I do try to put lotion on to keep my skin from getting really dry.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Last edited by OfCourseNot at Apr 14, 2013,
i used to have it really bad on my face. don't overreact and put too much medicated crap on it, and be gentle. also, drink more water and get more sleep.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
- Drink tons of water
- Don't eat much sugar
- Wash your skin at least once a day

If that's not enough, go see a dermatologist.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by OfCourseNot
I already use some sort of Neutragina body scrub. Is St. Ives that much better? Because I've put a bit of money into scrubs and creams, and while they do help somewhat, it's very disappointing how they don't help enough (and sometimes leave my skin irritated).

"yes bc the st ives has salycilic acid which cleanses pores and noms on dead skin cells."

verbatim
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by AeroRocker
- Drink tons of water

This, times a million. I discovered this when I developed a kidney stone in January. I'm talking about "tons of water" like at least two liters a day, probably more. I didn't do anything else differently around that time, (except cutting out soda almost completely) and my skin cleared up dramatically.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
"yes bc the st ives has salycilic acid which cleanses pores and noms on dead skin cells."

verbatim

So does what I have now though...
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
I've definitely felt this, the best thing to do is not give a shit about anyone and wait for it to go away.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Tanning helps acne. Tan off your back porch and that way you can do it in semi privacy.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Tanning helps acne. Tan off your back porch and that way you can do it in semi privacy.

It helps make acne less visible but it's bad for your skin. Use sunscreen every day even if you're wearing a shirt, the sun's rays can penetrate through clothing.

Exfoliate once a week
Use moisturizer, if it makes your acne worse keep trying new ones until you find one that does
Aveeno bath oil won't irritate your skin so you should try that instead of whatever soap you are currently using
Shower immediately after you sweat/exercise/etc (but just water; if you wash with soap every time it might get worse, if you do this 3x a day or something)
Cut down on dairy/carbs
Eat probiotics
Drink lots of water and get enough sleep and try not to be stressed out about anything
Drink lots of soy milk
Try a different detergent for your shirts, it could be aggravating it if it isn't rinsed out completely
If you have long hair keep it clean and non-greasy
Apply Sudocrem to existing acne every night and wash it off in the morning
apply Vitamin E oil for scars

(I did all of this and my skin is super awesome now)
but depending on how old you are none of this might work if it's entirely hormonal
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Apr 15, 2013,
Hey TS, what kind of scrub or whatever do you use? And what are the active ingredients?

I ask this because most anti-acne products in stores use salicylic acid, but I've found that benzoyl peroxide is more effective for back and shoulder acne.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Benzoyl peroxide dries out acne, but also dries out the skin. It's not good to use if you have bad/dry skin naturally anyway.

I recommend from my experience getting some sun. Don't aim to get a tan, but UV exposure does help. Also, make sure you clean the areas well every time you shower, but not abrasively. Scrubbing too hard can irritate pimples and make them more visible.

Also, try applying pure vitamin E oil to the areas every night. If it's on your shoulders, you'll of course want to be shirtless. The downside to that is, it takes a good while to fully soak in, so you might be sitting there for awhile. This is a good method for face acne, because you can do it while you sleep.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 15, 2013,
A lot of people have problems with this and it's really nothing to be ashamed about. If you don't want some ridiculously tedious solution, I'd recommend trying Pears soap . It works wonders on acne but you shouldn't use it too much cause it'll definitely dry out your skin.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
i cant give any acne advice because i'm pretty much natural-ing my way through puberty (heck i've stopped using shampoo to save money when i move out) but i suppose i can share my experiences.

i've had acne since i was twelve (just over four years) and it's gradually shifted from mostly face to mostly back and shoulders. it's pretty heavy, but as of one year ago, i go shirtless practically everywhere when i'm not at school - started as a UV exposure thing just around the house and has become more of a confidence-building exercise for myself (e.g. when going down to the shops, chilling with friends etc.)
i realised a few things:
1) most people on the street dont care, to be shirtless is to be free and shameless and people admire that
2) people that you care about the opinions of - friends, family, music store mates that give you solid prices etc.. - don't give a shit because they love you
3) most people that do care are too socially awkward to say anything about the fact that you're shirtless and that gives you an advantage over them.
4) the people that care and say something about it won't mention your acne because that's rude and offensive, they'll just ask you to put a shirt on. (if they are rude about it you're entitled to quote RATM in saying '**** you, I won't do what you tell me')

this probably isnt the solution for everyone but yeah, good luck with the whole acne thing anyway!
Quote by ruletheneck
i cant give any acne advice because i'm pretty much natural-ing my way through puberty (heck i've stopped using shampoo to save money when i move out) but i suppose i can share my experiences.

i've had acne since i was twelve (just over four years) and it's gradually shifted from mostly face to mostly back and shoulders. it's pretty heavy, but as of one year ago, i go shirtless practically everywhere when i'm not at school - started as a UV exposure thing just around the house and has become more of a confidence-building exercise for myself (e.g. when going down to the shops, chilling with friends etc.)
i realised a few things:
1) most people on the street dont care, to be shirtless is to be free and shameless and people admire that
2) people that you care about the opinions of - friends, family, music store mates that give you solid prices etc.. - don't give a shit because they love you
3) most people that do care are too socially awkward to say anything about the fact that you're shirtless and that gives you an advantage over them.
4) the people that care and say something about it won't mention your acne because that's rude and offensive, they'll just ask you to put a shirt on. (if they are rude about it you're entitled to quote RATM in saying '**** you, I won't do what you tell me')

this probably isnt the solution for everyone but yeah, good luck with the whole acne thing anyway!

Yeah guys, let's all listen to this "badass br00t4l m3t4lhead" 16 year old. He walks around without a shirt on cuz he's so buff and badass and koo. I wish I could be like this kid.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Yeah guys, let's all listen to this "badass br00t4l m3t4lhead" 16 year old. He walks around without a shirt on cuz he's so buff and badass and koo. I wish I could be like this kid.

just sharing the way i tackled my self-esteem issue, dude - the point i was trying to get to was that perhaps the issue for OP was less the actual acne and more the self-esteem?
for me, mental states are much easier to change than physical appearance - though by no means am i suggesting here that it is the same for everyone.

i'm not sure where you pulled the rest from. i walk around without a shirt to prove to myself that i can. also comfort.
Quote by eGraham
Benzoyl peroxide dries out acne, but also dries out the skin. It's not good to use if you have bad/dry skin naturally anyway.

Well I've never had a problem with it. I've found it to be less irritating than salicylic acid. As long as you use it along with an oil-free lotion, you're good to go.

I'm a bit biased against using sun exposure to clear up acne, since skin cancer runs in my family.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Last edited by StopReadingThis at Apr 15, 2013,
If your acne is really out of control try going to your doctor to get some advice. He/she will be the expert and will most likely give you drugs that will actually work unlike some of the stuff you see on TV. Good luck man, I feel your pain. *bro hug*
Quote by StopReadingThis
Well I've never had a problem with it. I've found it to be less irritating than salicylic acid. As long as you use it along with an oil-free lotion, you're good to go.

I'm a bit biased against using sun exposure to clear up acne, since skin cancer runs in my family.

Benzoyl is definitely a viable solution. You just gotta be careful, as it is a bleaching agent. Too much concentration or overexposure can really dry out the skin. It also makes you much more sensitive to UV light, so you really have to choose one or the other.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Fat and obese people proudly walk around half-naked all the time (and they can HELP being fat), and they're infinitely more disgusting than anybody with acne. If they can do it, you definitely can.

I have the same problem, TS. Actually, mine was bad enough to warrant Accutane (though I never actually went on it in the end, it's started clearing up on its own). Eat well, drink tons of water and keep yourself clean. It will, however, take a long time. Acne doesn't just disappear over the course of a few days or weeks. It can take months, even years. I've had my acne since I was about 16. I'm almost 21 now, and it only started going away a couple of months ago. Patience is key.
Quote by Nameless742
In my experience

1: Get enough sleep. I get spots when I am barely sleeping
2: Exercise.
3: Wash once a day and moisturise immediately after.
4: Changing bedclothes. Bacteria and oil cause spots and well you know what yer pillow's like after a night's sleeping.

If non of that works, try 'Benzoyl peroxide' and if that doesn't work look into taking antibiotics, but that is really reserved for the more severe cases.
Acne blows, I used to get it really bad.

I would use benzoyl peroxide wash and make sure that you're always wearing fresh clothing. Chlorine and the sun actually do wonders for my acne, so I'd suggest swimming as much as possible.