I've personally never enjoyed cover bands my self, never done anything for me as a musician, always just seemed too easy to learn other peoples songs and maybe even a little boring as a guitarist. Maybe even to say for myself that it takes the fun out of playing in a band. I know not everyone wants to go out and tour and spend ages writing their own songs and recording them so I understand that side too, it's just always left a bitter taste in my mouth.

BUT as everyone knows the economy is pretty f*cked right now and it's getting harder to find any work let alone something decent. That being said I've been debating to myself whether it may be a good idea to either try and join or start a cover band solely for the purpose of bringing in some more cash.

This leads me to wondering what other peoples opinions are on cover bands and if they think they're good or bad. Do you think this is a good idea too seeing as a decent band can seem to get paid alright compared to originals these days.

So this isn't a knock necessarily against cover bands but more a question on what does everyone think of them versus original bands.

Discuss
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Depends on the band. Some are good, most suck.

I'd rather see a band do their own stuff, but I mean, I'll settle for a cover if its good.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
As in dedicated to one band? Yeah, they're shit. However, there a plenty of YouTube general cover bands/artist that are great.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Also is there anyone that is in an original band as well as a cover band and how do you mix those if so?

MakinLattes : That is true! haha, I find it's also a lot of people that just want to hear stuff in some little pub before going out to get drunk, it's just background music to them I guess
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

If they play good songs that aren't OVEROVEROVERplayed. I definitely don't want to hear any more bands covering stuff like CCR, ZZ Top or Cheap Trick.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by MakinLattes
Old people like them and give them money.

This lol

I play in a cover band. It's a fun way to be active, keep your chops up and play music with people I enjoy hanging out with.

We play a mix of classic/blues rock to post alternative general rock (Presidents of the United States, Jack White, Lenny Kravitz). It's fun to be able to have some songs you can challenge yourself to learn the exact way it was played while others you can come up with your own parts based on an organ part or brass or something.

So yeah, it's fun. I'd rather be playing originals and I used to hate the idea of a cover band, but right now its just what works.

And we have two paying gigs the next two saturdays. so
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
A job is a job playing covers isn't as degrading as working as a cashier or other several other jobs.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
A job is a job playing covers isn't as degrading as working as a cashier or other several other jobs.

It's also not a real job.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I find when ever the town I used to live in had things going on they'd hire a cover band.
im in a cover band it pays for my other not cover band

its fun it pays for hobbies and drinks and i got to meet a bunch of cool people

i prefer listening to a bands original material myself but people like them and give them money

fun fact in a cover band is where i learned how to play competely shitfaced
It depends on the genre of music really. With certain genres, such as bluegrass and jazz, even many professional bands stick almost exclusively to standards.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Cheers for the responses guys, nice to see what everyone's thoughts are, I actually thought it'd be more divided for some reason. I think as much as I wouldnt really enjoy being in a cover band like some of the above posters said even though maybe it's not a "real" job it's still a way to bring some bucks in. I guess getting paid £/$50 for an hour and a half's "work" isn't that bad actually. If I do form a cover band though it HAS to be called "The Undercovers" haha
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by supersac
fun fact in a cover band is where i learned how to play competely shitfaced

lol, I'm not sure I really remember much of the last third of our last gig. We made a rule for next saturday. No drinking UNTIL we've started playing.

Last time I was shitty before we even went on stage (but part of that was stoned which sufficiently wore off pretty quick).
haha! I don't drink at all myself but a friend of mine in another band in my area said he's learnt the best thing to do before a set is to take one shot of like tequila or something strong to get the blood going and then you're hyped from the get go haha I'll have to get my drummer to test it out at our show on Saturday :P He's gonna need it for that one, probably the best support slot we've managed to get thus far!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by qotsakyuss
Also is there anyone that is in an original band as well as a cover band and how do you mix those if so?

We only do covers to really cover the extra 3 or so hours of the gig.. usually we mix in our originals though out the night and try to play the obvious crowd pleaser.
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I like Brit Floyd and Dark Star Orchestra

The band I'm in does originals and covers... we've got a pretty good local following so the originals are very popular with the crowd, we often do cover, original, cover, original, etc.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by snipelfritz
lol, I'm not sure I really remember much of the last third of our last gig. We made a rule for next saturday. No drinking UNTIL we've started playing.

Last time I was shitty before we even went on stage (but part of that was stoned which sufficiently wore off pretty quick).

hahahah i usually try not to have much more than a buzz when i play but that night the guy wanted us to play another set after we had finished but they were using our PA for speeched or something
(i dont know i was in the back taking celebratory shots with a couple of bridesmaids )

and our bassist comes back and said "hey dude you think you can play another set? hes paying us double!"
and my reposnce im told is
"im down shit you dont even know how down i am so **** you*point as bassist* and afterwards ima come back and **** you(point at bridesmaid* "

but it was an awesome show cause just ebout everyone else was drunk too
i didnt get to nail the bridemaid
Do you find that there is a difference between a cover band and a tribute band though? Or do you only class it a tribute band if the band dresses up as their counterparts? :P I've always kind of separated the two although their similar
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

I saw a great cover band years ago, they covered lots of different bands and genres. A lot of theatrical stuff, like Alice Cooper then next song would be like Funkadelic or something totally different, with wardrobe changes through the night. It was really entertaining, and I'd imagine fun as well plus they were really good. I remember them being booked solid and making tons of cash.
I'm in a cover band and it's a whole lot of fun. We make sure we can play the songs really ****in' well, but we don't take ourselves seriously at all. We're planning on changing the band name every show.

So far the set list is:
Sgt Peppers- The Beatles
Take on Me- Aha
No One Else- Weezer
Girls Just Want to Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper
Cherry Bomb- Joan Jett
Blitzkrieg Bop, Ring of Fire, I Fought the Law Mash Up
.... and this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q68M9TrRl9g

If you can make enough to pay for beer the rest of the night, then why not do it?
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Apr 14, 2013,
What my band does depends on the venue. Real music venues, showcases, and battle of the bands, often appreciate a full set of originals. But many places, like bars, and malls, and farmer's markets people like to hear covers. So we might play Sweet Home Alabama, Dani California, Comfortably Numb, Knockin on Heavens Door, but we will sneak in a few of our originals in there. Playing a song like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hZ03sjM7U

Can give me enough inspiration to get through a few more covers
As long as they're not tribute bands who only play one band's songs I think it's cool. You also gotta put your own spin on your songs. They don't have to be entirely different, just like in your own style.

There was this band in my town a while ago that played like 90% covers and they were ****ing awesome.
fuck
If I ever did an open mic thing (which I hope to do someday) I would probably play all covers. If I was ever in a band though, I'd like to play my own music.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I'm in a cover band and it's a whole lot of fun. We make sure we can play the songs really ****in' well, but we don't take ourselves seriously at all. We're planning on changing the band name every show.

So far the set list is:
Sgt Peppers- The Beatles
Take on Me- Aha
No One Else- Weezer
Girls Just Want to Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper
Cherry Bomb- Joan Jett
Blitzkrieg Bop, Ring of Fire, I Fought the Law Mash Up

Cover mashups are the best. We do Wild Thing into Louie Louie.

Louie, I think I loooove you
But I wanna know for sure...
People like to hear stuff that they are familiar with, especially a drinking crowd. I enjoy a good blues cover band, especially on Friday nights where you can just sit back and drink a few pitchers. Cover bands are also a plus because they usually don't charge over 5 dollars at the door.