I'm looking for a cheap, cool looking guitar. Always been a fan of the Mustang. Anyone played it yet? It's been out for almost a year.

Budget is 300.
My current guitars are:
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

My amp is
Vox AC30 CC2

Pedals
Big Muff Wicker
Tube Screamer
Procro The Rat
Plus some other stuff that doesn't really matter too much.

I play everything really. Recently I've been playing stuff like Death Cab for Cutie, fun, Ra Ra Riot, Maroon 5, and Foster the People.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Never played the mustang, but i have played a Vintage Mod Jazzmaster and the Tele VM. They feel and play exceptionally well, The stock pups on the Jazzmaster were actually decent and the necks on both had good fretwork. Squire has had some really good stuff recently. Seems like it would be a good fit for the type of music you play, is there any way you can try one out for yourself?
The Squier Mustang I played was ok, good for the money. I picked up the Jazzy instead, but the Jag was a close second. I really liked the Mustang looks, but it had the least lively sound of the three and I was running through an AC15 at the time.
OffsetOffset
Quote by Addonexus408
Never played the mustang, but i have played a Vintage Mod Jazzmaster and the Tele VM. They feel and play exceptionally well, The stock pups on the Jazzmaster were actually decent and the necks on both had good fretwork. Squire has had some really good stuff recently. Seems like it would be a good fit for the type of music you play, is there any way you can try one out for yourself?

Unfortunately no. The Guitar Center formula is to only stock guitars for the demographic, and the demographic here wants pointy guitars.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Dude, the Fender MIJ Mustang reissues that came out a few years ago are really awesome, far better than any Squier you'll find. I say spend a little more if you can and try to find a good deal on used one. It's worth it.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Unfortunately no. The Guitar Center formula is to only stock guitars for the demographic, and the demographic here wants pointy guitars.

that's most GC's it seems. Well if the Mustang plays anything like the VM's i tried, they are pretty decent especially for the money. Also, the seem like they would be a decent platform if you wanna upgrade parts, tuners/pups/bridge/ ect. though they don't really need it
The mustang played okay. I'm not really a fan of mustangs though. I just don't like the body shape. The jaguar was really sweet and the strat was awesome. So I'm sure the mustangs would be just as good if you like them
Quote by W4RP1G
Dude, the Fender MIJ Mustang reissues that came out a few years ago are really awesome, far better than any Squier you'll find. I say spend a little more if you can and try to find a good deal on used one. It's worth it.

Hey man, I remember having some intense conversations with you a few years back on here. While it would be cool to spend a bit extra I'm currently in the process of spending money on other things at the moment. I'm looking for a third guitar to just play with.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by W4RP1G

have you played the squier VM stuff? from the sound of this you sound a tad bias to the 'F' name!

i've played the mustang/jazz/jag.... still think the jazzmaster was the best. seriously consider that, it feels like it'd suit your influences listed a bit better too
I'd look for a used J Mascics Squier Jazzmaster, the pickups are a bit warmer sounding. I like my Squier VM Jazzy well enough, but if I were to do it over I'd get the Mascis.
OffsetOffset
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Hey man, I remember having some intense conversations with you a few years back on here. While it would be cool to spend a bit extra I'm currently in the process of spending money on other things at the moment. I'm looking for a third guitar to just play with.

I don't remember those intense conversations, but I'll just assume they ended well

Quote by daverichards
have you played the squier VM stuff? from the sound of this you sound a tad bias to the 'F' name!

i've played the mustang/jazz/jag.... still think the jazzmaster was the best. seriously consider that, it feels like it'd suit your influences listed a bit better too

Have you played the Fender Japan stuff? They are pretty damn good, far better than any Squier. I'm not biased, I'm being realistic.

And it's gets old hearing people accuse others of buying into the branding anytime they don't agree that a Squier is as good as a Fender, or an Epiphone is as good as a Gibson. There is a reason for the price difference, and it isn't just the country of manufacture.
^ This is true, but being that he has a $300 budget, it seems unlikely that he'll find a Japan Mustang to fit the dollar amount. I'm all for saving up if we're talking minimal cash, but $200-300 isn't necessarily minimal cash to everyone (especially if his budget is $300 to start).
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
^ This is true, but being that he has a $300 budget, it seems unlikely that he'll find a Japan Mustang to fit the dollar amount. I'm all for saving up if we're talking minimal cash, but $200-300 isn't necessarily minimal cash to everyone (especially if his budget is $300 to start).

I'm just defending myself against being called a brand snob. I can totally understand if he doesn't want to spend more on a CIJ Fender.
Fair enough, I was more or less responding to both earlier posts. Hell, one of my Jags is MIJ, I can definitely speak to the quality of the construction.
OffsetOffset
I've heard very positive things about them, the only work that needs to be done is a bridge swap which apparently isn't very expensive.

I have a buddy that loves his, he dropped a hot rail in the bridge though. I'm gonna try it out myself because I'm interested in it too.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I own a Vintage White VM Mustang and I would vouch for it. As the first and only guitar I've ever ordered sight unseen, I am very happy with it. The VM line in general has gotten mostly positive reviews...I bought mine when the first came out when they still weren't in stores, but I had wanted a Mustang pretty much since I started playing guitar, so I jumped on it. It arrived and was pretty good out of the box but definitely needed a few tweaks.

Mine personally, the fretting was fine, the neck plays well. It holds tune well enough, though I brought the posts down at the string bar for extra support (I don't really use the trem). It looks pretty damn beautiful and sounds very good for a 300 dollar guitar. After a set up, all I plan on doing to it still is switching out the nut. It took a while to get some buzz on the G string to go away, but after a few string changes and a solid set up, it's cool.

I'd recommend it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell