Page 1 of 2
Hey guys.

So pretty self explanatory. My band is somewhat established, we are based out of Ottawa, Canada. We found our drummer to be lacking, his musicianship is great, but he doesn't try outside of the band. He missed practice often, albeit with good, valid excuses, but still, it's annoying.

He's 18 and we are all 19, the drinking age in ontario, so it's a pain to book a venue for 300$ more for an all ages show. He doesn't even bring any fans, while we all try to, and the bassist brings alot of his friends consistently too.

He still owes us 30$ for CD's and stuff, as we've just released our ep. The royalties only go to the current bandmates, at the time of the sale, so we wouldn't pay him anymore.

So basicly how do we do it? We've had 6 drummers already, so we hope we don't have to find another 4 after him.

We have a fill in drummer for the time being and future gigs, but he can't do it because he's also in a really popular local band.

Tldr: How should I and my bandmates be tactful about firing our 7th drummer?

cheers dudes
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
A cannon usually does the job.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
"I'm sorry, but Based God won't allow you to stay with us"
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Oh hai josh I like your name.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Rockford_rocks
"Dude, you're leeching all of our money. GTFO."

Lol, we all owe our singer like 50$, its future royalties that's the concern.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Quote by joshmckinnon
Tldr: How should I and my bandmates be tactful about firing our 7th drummer?

TACTFULLY, Dudes
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Light his drums on fire. If he doesn't get the picture, light him on fire. If that still doesn't work, light yourself on fire.
This only becomes a real question if you have gear at his place.

However, consider that 30$ is nothing and a good drummer with who you get along is priceless. In a few months he'll be 19 and those problems will go away on their own. Politely ask him for the money, write more songs and remember that band members don't always need to be best friends.

(Keep your stand in drummer on the payroll though...)
Have you tried using actual fire?

After actually reading the OP, your drummer sounds like the coolest guy in the band and you all have your panties in a knot over stupid shit. (ZOMG $30! ****ing have him take you all to mcdonalds for lunch and you're even.) If he has "good, valid" excuses for why he can't be at practice then what's the problem?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Apr 14, 2013,
Quote by flexiblemile
This only becomes a real question if you have gear at his place.

However, consider that 30$ is nothing and a good drummer with who you get along is priceless. In a few months he'll be 19 and those problems will go away on their own. Politely ask him for the money, write more songs and remember that band members don't always need to be best friends.

(Keep your stand in drummer on the payroll though...)

It's not that he's not 19, moreso that he doesnt seem to care. We are all music majors in university except him. We want to get someone more professional and in it for the long haul and we've requested that from him in the past, to no avail.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Tell him he's wasting all the band's money and getting a new drummer isn't a big deal anyway since you've already had ****ing 7 of them so what's the big deal?
Maybe you could focus your effort on finding a new drummer that fits your needs.Once you've done this,parting ways with your current drummer probably will seem less daunting.Just a thought,good luck.
How can you be 19 and have had 7 drummers? I'm honestly curious about a band bio. Also do you have any songs we can hear? I'm sometimes in Ottawa and love seeing shows.
Quote by edgeyyz
By the way, is your band named Spinal Tap by any chance?

Quote by CodeMonk
Are you in Spinal Tap?

Lol, yeah it might as well be.

Quote by flexiblemile
How can you be 19 and have had 7 drummers? I'm honestly curious about a band bio. Also do you have any songs we can hear? I'm sometimes in Ottawa and love seeing shows.

It's a long story of drummers moving, drummers filling in for us, new drummers joining us but then quitting when they realized how serious we were, our gigging schedule and our ep and everything.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Last edited by joshmckinnon at Apr 15, 2013,
Just sit down with your drummer (and the rest of the band) and say, "Look, we're trying to go somewhere with this band (we're quite serious), and we've had to hire a fill-in drummer for several shows. So, we're replacing you. It's nothing personal, but a band is kind of a business in a way. You're not bringing in any fans (who are basically clients), and you're not showing up to practice. We can't continue this working relationship with you. We'd love to stay friends with, but we can't be in this band with you anymore. We're sorry." Then, have everyone go home.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 15, 2013,
"It's not you, it's me"
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
You said he is already in another band... so I doubt dropping him is going to be a massive deal. Not like he won't be able to make music anymore. Even more, you mentioned the other band he is in has a decent following.

I'd frame it off that. "Look, you have another band you are in that is great... but we need someone fully committed to our band. Missed practice, etc..."

If he is playing with someone else and not fully bought in with you guys, sounds like he made his bed.
Quote by Clarkinator
You said he is already in another band... so I doubt dropping him is going to be a massive deal. Not like he won't be able to make music anymore. Even more, you mentioned the other band he is in has a decent following.

I'd frame it off that. "Look, you have another band you are in that is great... but we need someone fully committed to our band. Missed practice, etc..."

If he is playing with someone else and not fully bought in with you guys, sounds like he made his bed.

Actually, they have a fill-in drummer for a few shows/practices, when the actual drummer can't make it. L2readtheOPcarefully.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Just sit down with your drummer and say, "Look, we're trying to go somewhere with this, and we've had to hire a fill-in drummer for several shows. So, we're replacing you. It's nothing personal, but a band is kind of a business in a way. You're not bringing in any fans (who are basically clients), and you're not showing up to practice. We can't continue this working relationship with you. We'd love to stay friends with, but we can't be in this band with you anymore. We're sorry." Then, have everyone go home.

Hmm. That was well worded. Yeah that'll probably be the best way. best advice in the thread so far. Thanks brother.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Show him a piece of meat until it completely hypnotizes him, then pretend to throw it but keep it in your hand

Problem solved
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by Clarkinator

No, that's our fill in drummer that has the big band. He's the drummer for a really popular local band, but he's got enough time to fill in for our next 2 gigs.

We'd ask him to be our drummer were it not for his schedule
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Quote by joshmckinnon
Hmm. That was well worded. Yeah that'll probably be the best way. best advice in the thread so far. Thanks brother.

You're welcome.

Btw, downloading your EP. It's pretty cool.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're welcome.

Btw, downloading your EP. It's pretty cool.

Thanks man, hope you enjoy!
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
I don't know but nowadays practice for my band involves mostly writing new stuff, with the easiness of recording scratch tracks and demoes/my band has our ep too, we are all able to practice at home, does he at least work on his stuff at home? Cause when my band gets together live we haven't had a problem yet and are able to focus on new stuff when we get together.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by guitarist5477
I don't know but nowadays practice for my band involves mostly writing new stuff, with the easiness of recording scratch tracks and demoes/my band has our ep too, we are all able to practice at home, does he at least work on his stuff at home? Cause when my band gets together live we haven't had a problem yet and are able to focus on new stuff when we get together.

The problem isnt his playing, which is what makes this harder, it's his commitment to the band and to trying to make it and make money off our music. We are in this for the long haul and he isnt.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Did he specifically say he isn't in it for the long haul? Why don't you ask him that, along with the other important questions. IMO you shouldn't be asking "how" to fire the drummer, it should come naturally. It would be best to make sure he sees it coming. Have you talked to him about all these problems? Does he want to be in the band? It's possible and better to make the split amicable instead of "firing" him.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Brb, Fb messaging Rhian Meaney and letting him know he's fired. Problem solved. Thank me later.
PRS Custom 24
Rivera KnuckleHead 55
Budda SuperDrive 30
Vox AC15C1
Quote by joshmckinnon
It's not that he's not 19, moreso that he doesnt seem to care. We are all music majors in university except him. We want to get someone more professional and in it for the long haul and we've requested that from him in the past, to no avail.

So you can all buy HIM McDonalds then?
Just say "Hey guys, everyone who's still in the band strike a chord!"
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Last edited by TimTheWizard at Apr 15, 2013,
Quote by TimTheWizard
Just say "Hey guys, everyone who's still in the band strike a chord!"

AHA LE TROLL XD XD
Page 1 of 2