anybody have either of these pickups?
which do you like more? both sound really good and as im going to change my bridge pickup (sd custom 5) ((basically)) I was looking at these. any word on how they will hold up to metal tones
depending on your amp they'll either hold up well or very poorly for metal.

the 498t would probably be preferred for metal.
if you can look for a 500t. i have one that came stock in my Gibson Gothic V, and love it. i have a few other Gibsons with the 498t's and they are alright. the 500t has a little bigger balls and output than the 498t. IIRC the 500t is ceremic and the 498t is alnico.

burstbuckers aren't bad either, but i don't think they hold metal level gain as much as 500t's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I really like the 498t. Much prefer it to the burstbucker, 3 or otherwise. Trashed us right though, a 500t would be better
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I really like the 498t. Much prefer it to the burstbucker, 3 or otherwise. Trashed us right though, a 500t would be better

i agree on the 498t's. they are probably one of the best 'all around' factory installed placed pickups in guitars. they can do blues to any kind of rock and get metal well. i have been talking about replacing a 498t, and i have the money its just that i am really happy with it.

if i were to replace it with anything other than a 500t (which is what i probably would pick up used off of the 'bay) or a BG Hell Rails.

but if you want Gibson pickup for metal i would do 500t all day long.

you could also look into Gibson dirty fingers. they sound pretty good, i have those in a pair of 1982 Gibson Sonexs'.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Gibson Burstbucker #3 is a slightly overwound PAF copy with an A2 magnet. It can be used for metal—Metallica have used Gibson LPs with Burstbuckers before—but it's not your typical ideal 'metal pickup'. It has a very soft tone, the wound strings can get muddy and it has medium output. Compared to the Custom 5, it has softer bass, less treble and less output.

For Gibson pickups, the 500T is definitely the way to go for metal. That said, Seymour DUncan and DiMarzio both make plenty of 'metal' pickups that are, in my opinion, much nicer than Gibson's offerings in this department, as well as being much cheaper.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hmmmm. well I have a 500t layng around cause It came with my Gibson explorer. I actually thought about throwing that back in. and alost did couple days ago. I almost put the neck pickup back in too just for a change. I was surprised the neck is also ceramic though. considering how warm and clean it sounded found it odd