So my wife and I recently bought a godin acousticaster (great little guitar, you can see a review here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Py56NXMfZc

and we like it but it's a horrible horrible turquoise color:

We asked around and stripping it + repainting it would be prohibitavely expensive so we can't consider that. But a tech we know did a test by painting a tiny space inside the battery cover with car paint and he's confident he can paint over the whole body without it flaking or anything.

My question is in what ways can many layers of paint affect a very small bodied acoustic guitar?

Thanks!
I wouldn't really bother...painting the top will mess with the resonance of the guitar and you'll end up with a dead sounding guitar if you do. Sure, you can plug it in but then many of the over-tones in the sound will be lost and you'll just get a louder dead sounding guitar.
The process that would least effect the tone is:

First strip to bare wood. Strippers are rough on wood, and it's difficult to effect a natural finish on wood afterwards.

So, if I were to tackle this project at all, I'd probably choose to refinish with that great highest hiding "color"of all black. That would get you covered with the least amount of film thickness possible.

Then a couple coats of clear for the purpose of being able to rub the finish out to gloss, without going through the color coat.

The old standard nitrocellulose lacquer would be the first, best, choice for the project. All lacquers are thin film materials, and would as such, have the least overall effect. I didn't say no effect, just the least.

Any usable lacquer is most likely only going to be available in standard cans, not in spray cans, which brings up the need for professional spraying equipment.

To use lacquers, the old finish must be completely removed, as lacquer tends to act as a paint remover towards other common refinishing materials.

So, big, big project, and not at all guaranteed to be a success. Are you sure you'd really want to tackle it?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 15, 2013,
i had the top of one of my Ovations done. as far as i can tell it did not effect the tone whatsoever. i had an airbrush artist with a lot of experience in guitars do it. it turned out great and still sounds amazing. can't say that i'd ever do it with a higher end guitar but a lower end one? no problem.
http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=6337258026/PictureID=272876582026/a=7644089026_7644089026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
thanks for your answer. I'll try to convince my wife that we should skip this one... But she's the one who uses it with the band so the decision is hers :P

Captain Cranky, yeah we were going to go with black anyways but I think I'll jus convince my wife to get matching clothes for the stage and pretend we chose this horrible color on purpose.

FYI, this is a 1000$ guitar, when you see it used it's usually around 500$ but this one was sitting around craigslist for months and we snatched it at 350. So we saved a lot of money and it was a worthwhile buy because it sounds great, but GAH! that color!

EDIT: Btw that's a pretty cool ovation
Quote by flexiblemile
FYI, this is a 1000$ guitar, when you see it used it's usually around 500$ but this one was sitting around craigslist for months and we snatched it at 350. So we saved a lot of money and it was a worthwhile buy because it sounds great, but GAH! that color!

Well, we both know that "Gah, that color", equals, "wow what a great price",

Stepchild has his points as well. The turquoise is ripe for a airbrushed tropical scene, complete with orchids and pineapples.

At that juncture you could take one of two approaches. Do at lot of Jimmy Buffet covers. Or, if the band is into Gothic heavy metal, the guitar would blow the kitsch factor right of the dial...... Pierce the cutaway and hang a couple of pentagons from it, just so's they take you seriously....
If you decide to dig into re-finishing, take a look at stewmac dot com for finish help