So typical what amp thread. Ready? The three I'm looking at right now are as follows:

Marshall DSL 50/100
Vox Night Train 50
Blackstar HT 50

My budget is ~$500-600. Obviously I'm leaning more towards used to save money. I'm looking for a Marshall-type overdrive tone for hard rock but also some headroom for a decent clean tone. I have a Marshall Class 5 head but in live situations, there is just no clean headroom whatsoever. Think in the realm of the Foo Fighters. Don't really need more gain than that.

Mainly does anyone have experience with these amps? What are their pros/cons? I can't find any around here to test out. Also I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
are you in Detroit like it says on your profile? just to confirm and so 311 can jump on here and give you a list...

i like the DSL50 best. you don't need 100 watts really shy of a large stadium or amphitheater , but then you would be mic'd. 50 watts is plenty of clean.

i wasn't overly impressed with the blackstar (i was not listening biased even though they have SS components in the tone path). i think you could do better.

you are also near the budget with lots of other options. i don't know how hell bent you are on marshally tones, but Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX. you may want to look into jet city (i don't care for them personally), you are also getting to the basement level mesa's, which are all very good sounding amps, just not necessarily marshally.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yes I'm in the Detroit are. I don't consider myself a tone freak or anything but I do prefer a Marshally, loose overdrive tone. Not really fan of tight, compressed American style amps. (Mesa, Peavey...)
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
I have not played the other to amps but the DSL series is pretty damn good amongst being versatile.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I really like the Egnater Tweaker, I think there's a 40W version if you want more headroom than the 15W offers.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
yah my egnater tweaker 40 would have you covered. great for all forms of rock, tone of tonal options. has enough headroom for prestine clean but most fine the tweaker series excels at giving a nice breakup tone, even at low volumes.

out of those, night train or DSL, nut the DSL will be more versatile in terms of gain...those things pack enough for modern metal.

the vox will give you a gritty grungey tone with the bypass switch, it will also let your guitar come through 100%, so that will play more of a factor in your tone. gain increases too. night trains are sweet.

can you try both?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'm going to try out the DSL today. I can't find anywhere around here that have the others.
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Tried out a new DSL 40 watt combo today. Not bad, very versatile. The crunch mode was the best tone option on there. It's too bad you can't use a footswitch between clean and crunch. I'm still really curious about the Vox Night Train 50 watt head. There aren't many reviews or demos online about it. On the one's I've seen, the clean channel is great but the overdrive or "girth" channel can sound hit or miss in some of them. Oh decisions decisions...
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by alexh0618
Tried out a new DSL 40 watt combo today. Not bad, very versatile. The crunch mode was the best tone option on there. It's too bad you can't use a footswitch between clean and crunch. I'm still really curious about the Vox Night Train 50 watt head. There aren't many reviews or demos online about it. On the one's I've seen, the clean channel is great but the overdrive or "girth" channel can sound hit or miss in some of them. Oh decisions decisions...

The new DSL amps are nothing compared to the original JCM2000 DSL amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How so?
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Go play an original JCM2000 DSL 50/100 and you will see. The new DSL is fizzy in its hi-gain settings. Now this could be the fact that the tubes are cheap in the new ones.

I really suggest you get a used JCM2000, or at least try one out.

I have a JCM2000 DSL100 and it is a great sounding amp and it is very versitile
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If I go for a Marshall, it most likely will be for an older one since they are cheaper. Thanks for the input! I called around and stopped in some stores today and was surprised nobody had a used DSL. Supposedly they are the best-selling Marshall heads of all time. I'm bound to run into one eventually. I don't really need a high-gain tone so if I have to settle for a newer version, I'm cool with that. The one I tried out today sounded great to me for what kind of tone I'm looking for.
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Robbgnarly
The new DSL amps are nothing compared to the original JCM2000 DSL amps

+311
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Yeah the JCM2000 DSL50/100 is my favorite Marshall amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah the JCM2000 DSL50/100 is my favorite Marshall amp

i like JTM45's better...

but seriously DSL 50.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i like JTM45's better...

but seriously DSL 50.

Well I like the JMP2203 the best, but the JCM2000DSL wins for tone and versatility
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate