So,
do i need a noise gate for live performances?
My bands rehearsal space is pretty small (8m²
and i've never had any problems with feedback even with my amp cranked to full
as long as i turn down the guitar volume down or keep the strings still when i'm not playing.

However,
next week my band is having it's first gig, so i don't have any experience with this kind of thing
is it any different when an amp is mic'd?
would i really need a noise gate for this situation or could i just go the way i do when rehearsing?

Thanks in advance,
DWL
Mic'ing an amp up shouldn't make it feedback. A better question to ask is can I control my feedback? If you don't make use of it and have to roll down volume whenever you don't play, you probably want to use less gain or use a noise gate.
Dude, where's my band?
It sounds like you are controlling your amp noise - so I would say no.
In a live situation, you'll be further away from your amp, and facing away from it. The feedback/noise should be even more controllable compared to your small jam space.

If you do decide to to get one, get the ISP Decimator.
Do you have any buzz or hum through the amp? That could be a problem in a different venue due to different lights (fluorescent lights can cause noise) or grounding issues. A noise gate is always worth the investment.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Nope noise gates are just designed to cut back on the noise created from a high gain pedal chain or an overall noisy chain maybe due to vintage pedals or something. Then of course there is a bunch of fancy studio tricks with gated reverb and crap like that. I would just roll with what you are doing and when you have a break between songs just roll off your volume to kill the guitar signal, but odds are with all the ambient noise in the room you wont hear the amp hum that much or at all.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
If you've not got a problem with feedback at the moment, I shouldn't think you would have one at a gig. That obviously depends on how loud the practice volume is though.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
If you ask me, every guitarist should have one just in case.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I'm not a fan of noise gates, myself. I do however play loud enough that if I leave strings open when not playing I get feedback. My solution was to simply to get into the habit of killing the volume on the guitar at the end of a song. It's a pretty common old school solution.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification