4 7%
I didn't read the book but I hate its premise
13 23%
obligatory purple spunky hippo
20 35%
Voters: 57.
Page 1 of 2
Okay, before you kill me, hear me out:

It's been about a year since I read Atlas Shrugged, and I've since read up on Ayn Rand and all of the bullshit she used to spew and how she was a hypocrite with herself using government health care when she was ill etc. That's a given, we all know Ayn Rand was a nutjob and an asshole and all that.

Still, I've started reading Atlas Shrugged a second time. I found that I immensely enjoyed the book, apart from the 60-page long John Galt rant at the end, and I find myself agreeing with a lot of the ideas presented in the book. Not all of them, but definitely those about finding enjoyment in your work and developing an extreme passion for what it is you do. I really liked the characters of Hank Rearden and even Dagny Taggart, even though as a person I would undoubtably find her to be a complete bitch, mostly for the way she views relationships - most likely due to Ayn Rand's own obsession with her character of John Galt, who is one of the least interesting people in the whole book.

Most people seem to hate this book and most if not everything that it stands for, but I'd like to hear from people here who have read it, what is your opinion on the book? Not on Ayn Rand, not on Objectivism as a philosophy, but on the book itself and the way it presents its ideas. Up until the last 100 pages or so I was with the book 100%, and I would probably be labeled (as much as I hate labels) a social democrat by political orientation.

So...Atlas Shrugged. Discuss.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 15, 2013,
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Dammit I tried to post in the other thread, but it was deleted and now I have to go so I can't retype it all.

**** you
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown

I never read it, but I've heard it was interesting, but written by a silly person.

I heard that the whole first half was "Who the smeg is this John Galt guy?" whereas the whole second half was "When the smeg will this John Galt guy stop talking?".
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Apr 15, 2013,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
This was made into a film and you're asking us to read a book?

Fag

+1

I don't know why TS isn't banned yet for making these kind of blatant troll threads.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by element4433
Dammit I tried to post in the other thread, but it was deleted and now I have to go so I can't retype it all.

**** you

I'm sorry, I clicked "post poll" before realising I didn't make it public, so I had to make the thread again.
Quote by TunerAddict
+1

I don't know why TS isn't banned yet for making these kind of blatant troll threads.

The story itself is good. The rants make it almost unreadable for me though.
I'm currently reading The Fountainhead and I'm enjoying it, honestly.

There are some moments that make you go "wait wut" but others that make you go wow this character's attitude is pretty admirable.

Come at me.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I am happy you enjoyed it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm currently reading The Fountainhead and I'm enjoying it, honestly.

There are some moments that make you go "wait wut" but others that make you go wow this character's attitude is pretty admirable.

Come at me.

I made the mistake of reading AS first and TF second, and I'm only a couple of pages in and am already bored. TF is generally regarded as the not so good precursor to AS, and I'd definitely agree. AS is much better written.
I enjoyed reading the book itself. Rand's narrative style is enjoyable. That said I disagree with much of the ideas behind her philosophy (which aren't really included in Atlas Shrugged).

If you want something similar read The Fountainhead.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Haven't read Atlas Shrugged but I've read Anthem and found it pretty enjoyable but somewhat... childish. Regardless, I understood a lot of the good points she puts out in her writings and never quite understood all the fervent hate against her.

The basic premise, as I see it, of her works is that humanity's 'corruption' lies within an individual's capacity to serve a purpose outside of themselves without thought. That is to serve a collective purpose neither understanding it's roots, it's ends, or how it came to be thought as moral.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

So I'm to take it that if I wanted to read any of this, I should start with The Fountainhead and then move onto Atlas Shrugged?

not that i read any books lol fags
I read it a couple years ago. As a work of fiction, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was well worth reading. That being said, I found that the characters were so one-dimensional, their actions were so ridiculous, and the situations they found themselves in were so contrived as to be entirely unrealistic. For a piece of entertainment, that's not a big deal necessarily. However, considering that some people use Rand's writing as a basis of their entire philosophical outlook, that's not a good thing (though that's more a fault with the readers than Rand herself, in my opinion).

Also, might as well get this quote out of the way since it comes up in every discussion of Ayn Rand I've ever seen:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

The other, of course, involves orcs.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
So I'm to take it that if I wanted to read any of this, I should start with The Fountainhead and then move onto Atlas Shrugged?

not that i read any books lol fags

I haven't finished Fountainhead yet, so I honestly can't say if it's good or not.

Compared to Atlas Shrugged, the beginning is very tedious and boring, that much I can say, but then Atlas Shrugged starts with the problems of a train company. If you're gonna read Ayn Rand, I'd suggest trying out the Fountainhead, and if you don't like it, moving to Atlas Shrugged.

Be warned: It's a LONG ASS book. Seventh longest fiction book around, iirc.

Quote by iro-bot31
I read it a couple years ago. As a work of fiction, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was well worth reading. That being said, I found that the characters were so one-dimensional, their actions were so ridiculous, and the situations they found themselves in were so contrived as to be entirely unrealistic. For a piece of entertainment, that's not a big deal necessarily. However, considering that some people use Rand's writing as a basis of their entire philosophical outlook, that's not a good thing.

Also, might as well get this quote out of the way since it comes up in every discussion of Ayn Rand I've ever seen:

Yeah, I don't understand how some people can base their entire lives on a book of fiction, and thank you for that quote. Like with everything, obsession is what makes good things turn into crap.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 15, 2013,
Oh, whoa. I have a hard time even starting a 300 page book

I'd probably find it easier if I had a physical copy. I hate reading books as pdf or mobi or stuff like that.
I find her writing style boring.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
As much as I love XKCD guy, I wonder if he's actually read Atlas Shrugged, or if he's just hopping on the bandwagon.
The writing style is tragic, and the narrative is lame, but it's not quite as awful as most people claim.

edit: #latentpoetrystudent
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 15, 2013,
I liked it and agreed with some of the ideas put forward. I don't want to discuss this anymore though as the commies always ruin it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I've read it 3 times.

I often re-read/re-watch/re-listen to things to make sure I didn't miss anything and gave them a fair shake the first time.

The book is nothing more than a sales pitch for her philosophy. It's not subtle about it at all. It pretty much brow beats you to get your attention, and then just lectures you for page after page.

All conversations deteriorate into monologues as one character after another endlessly proclaims his/her set of "values". No one talks like that.

And then there is what has to be the most stupid phrase ever written:

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil." -John Galt
Never read, never found Ayn Raynd a particularly compelling person to learn about so never bothered.

How good a writer is she? Because I've just finished Paine's 'Rights of Man' and found him very enjoyable to read quite separately from liking what he says.
Quote by willT08
Never read, never found Ayn Raynd a particularly compelling person to learn about so never bothered.

How good a writer is she? Because I've just finished Paine's 'Rights of Man' and found him very enjoyable to read quite separately from liking what he says.

Avoid The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged: they're too polemical. Anthem, though, is rather good. Short and sweet, but quite a nice take on a Brave New World-esque scenario.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by willT08

It depends on opinion, really. Give Atlas Shrugged a try, if you don't like it after a dozen or so pages, you probably won't like the rest.

If you end up reading AS, and you get to the John Galt monologue at the end, just skip it. It says nothing of importance at all.
Quote by Todd Hart
Avoid The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged: they're too polemical. Anthem, though, is rather good. Short and sweet, but quite a nice take on a Brave New World-esque scenario.

Anthem wasn't too bad. "We The Living" was pretty good (Far superior to "Atlas Shrugged"
It's tedious and bloated, but the characters are strong. It's not awful, it's not spectacular. I don't plan on reading it again.
I couldn't stand it. Reading that damn book was a miserable chore, but I wanted to finish it so I could at least have a foot to stand on if I complained about it.

Mostly, the writing bugged me. The characters felt shallow and mechanical and the plot didn't do anything for me. The philosophy (aside from the fact that I don't agree with much of anything Ayn Rand puts forward) was too heavy handed and I had trouble reading the book as a novel. Recognizing it for what it is (that is, a frame story through which to sell her ideas), I might find it more bearable to re-read, but I don't want to run that risk.
Honestly, one of my favorite books. I reread it last summer, and I'm still a huge fan.
My God, it's full of stars!
I feel pretty the opposite of the first few posts in this thread.

I found the book stupidly dull, but was interested in the substance of what she was trying to say so just read the "rants".
The whole message of the book can be cut down so easily and it's really not very interesting.

I read Anthem though. That was a lot better. Didn't really think the point she was trying to make was really true, but at least an easy read.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Apr 16, 2013,
Page 1 of 2