I was planning on getting an effects rack, the G-Major, but saw a forum saying you should have a Pre-Amp after the rack and before your amp.

Is this true? I use a combo amp miced for performance. If it is true why? With a solid state Pre-Amp would it make my sound less 'defined' by my tube amp?
What all is your current setup? If you have an amp already than a preamp shouldn't be necessary.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
What all is your current setup? If you have an amp already than a preamp shouldn't be necessary.

I currently just have a pedal board with power supply and a 5 loop looper that plug directly into a tube combo, the weird thing is that I remember somewhere seeing a diagram that showed the G-Major before a combo amp but there was a pre-amp feeding it or something...
It's bollocks. I use rack effects with a fairly normal tube amp. You're probably going to run it it the loop.
Maybe you misunderstood. Putting most rack effects after the preamp is usually preferable (mainly for noise reasons). The effects loop is after the preamp. FX loops were originally invented because people in the 80's were using studio rack effects that wanted to see line level. Most modern rack gear sold to guitarists will cope with both guitar and line levels fine though.
A G-Major puts out more than enough output to go anywhere you like so why would you need a preamp after it? It just doesn't make any sense.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's bollocks. I use rack effects with a fairly normal tube amp. You're probably going to run it it the loop.
Maybe you misunderstood. Putting most rack effects after the preamp is usually preferable (mainly for noise reasons). The effects loop is after the preamp. FX loops were originally invented because people in the 80's were using studio rack effects that wanted to see line level. Most modern rack gear sold to guitarists will cope with both guitar and line levels fine though.
A G-Major puts out more than enough output to go anywhere you like so why would you need a preamp after it? It just doesn't make any sense.

Cool, thanks! I think I just remembered it wrong, I was looking at a manual and it showed a pre-amp but like you said it just showed to put the rack if you had one.