Hi all, I've just registered to ask for a few tips, how to play such melodic, blackened death metal as Dissection in their first two albums ( The Somberlain & Storm of the Light's Bane. Some examples are Retribution, Heaven's Damnation, Black Horizons ). So far I know that I have to play lead guitar in minor, sometimes byzantine scale with root note the same as the power chord's used in rhytm guitar. But any other??
I just want to know how to play in such style. You know, some scales, intervals, progressions I would be very grateful.
TS - its no use learning scales or intervals or progressions. That band just made stuff up as they went along. True creative genii they were. You're on your own I'm afraid. My best guess would be to randomly place your finger anywhere on the neck and you'll have mastered 50% of their songs.
Quote by evolucian
TS - its no use learning scales or intervals or progressions. That band just made stuff up as they went along. True creative genii they were. You're on your own I'm afraid. My best guess would be to randomly place your finger anywhere on the neck and you'll have mastered 50% of their songs.

I've not analyzed any of their songs, but I'm willing to bet that you could (at minimum) find 2 things in their songs: A) Major or Minor Tonality and B) a Tonic center (meaning a key). In other words, they may have "made stuff up as they went along" (I don't know really), but I'm willing to bet that you could properly analyze it and find patterns.

Quote by LordNightmarek
I just want to know how to play in such style. You know, some scales, intervals, progressions I would be very grateful.

Um...yeah, why don't you just start with basic theory and move on from there? Yes, that'd be a good place to start.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 18, 2013,
lol sam... take a look

So far I know that I have to play lead guitar in minor, sometimes byzantine scale with root note the same as the power chord's used in rhytm guitar. But any other??

followed by:
I just want to know how to play in such style. You know, some scales, intervals, progressions I would be very grateful

Which one of these two quotes is the most important of the two? Perhaps the only one you quoted out of his two posts. If anyone takes my post and tries to use it, they will invariably come to the conclusion that they have to learn Dissection's songs and understand what they are learning. There is no hit a note and get 50% of all their songs because of the classical nature of their clean intro's alone, if you bothered to listen to them. The speed of the solo's alone would tell someone "Shit, I may really have to practice to get this done", the tremolo riffs would require a lot of picking hand stamina. The band is swedish - so melody plays a huge part in their stuff too... definitely no hit or miss there.

Long story short, the ts needs to learn a lot more about music before he can get to write like them or the style. Other flip side, perhaps the sarcasm was missed or ignored. Listen to the band yourself - more than one track, more than two as well.