I know that a lot of people will say that this idea is complete rubbish but if it is possible to do, I will do it.

I am thinking of taking a short scale bass, just like this one:
http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_gsrm20_ca_b_stock_2.htm
and putting some pretty thin bass strings on it and then playing it almost like a guitar.
I will be playing stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36eUIJsz6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQnJ9iBNAA Pretty much like at 0:40

The guitar used in these songs is a custom made 4 string guitar (not bass) that is tuned to F# F# B E. The lowest F# is one octave lower than the second F#.
The guitar has an .80 as the lowest string and has the scale of 28".

I put some heavy strings just like on Wes`s guitar on my 25,5" and the action was a little iffy on the lowest string but still acceptable.

The bass would be tuned like the custom 4 string.
How will it sound through my Laney Ironheart and would it be safe?
With the bass pickups, how would that work out? This bass features some humbuckers and stuff.

Be nice.
Dissonance is underrated.
Fender and Danelectro beat you to it, they've been making 30" 6-string 'bass' guitars that are played like regular 6-string electric guitar since the 1960s. Robert Smith of The Cure and Joe Perry of Aerosmith use 'em a lot. Only difference is you'd be missing out on a couple of strings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Fender and Danelectro beat you to it, they've been making 30" 6-string 'bass' guitars that are played like regular 6-string electric guitar since the 1960s. Robert Smith of The Cure and Joe Perry of Aerosmith use 'em a lot. Only difference is you'd be missing out on a couple of strings.

I know of them and I would get them if they weren`t so expensive you know.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only possible issue is the fact that you would have to use bass strings in the appropriate gauges for the tuning that you're using, since the ball ends on guitar strings will just go straight through the holes in the bridge. I'm sure Thomann will have what you want, though. Also, he did it all for the nookie.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only possible issue is the fact that you would have to use bass strings in the appropriate gauges for the tuning that you're using, since the ball ends on guitar strings will just go straight through the holes in the bridge. I'm sure Thomann will have what you want, though. Also, he did it all for the nookie.

But I will using a short scale bass like this one that has a 28,6":
I also found that the thinnest bass gauge is a .95 and Wes used a .80 which is a fat 8 string string as a lowest.
I`m unsure if the bass strings will give enough clarity for clean stuff through a guitar amp thou.
Haha sure he did!
Last edited by Lyrax at Apr 15, 2013,
Quote by Lyrax
But I will using a short scale bass like this one that has a 28,6":
I also found that the thinnest bass gauge is a .95 and Wes used a .80 which is a fat 8 string string as a lowest.
I`m unsure if the bass strings will give enough clarity for clean stuff through a guitar amp thou.
Haha sure he did!

Yeah, I saw that in your OP. It doesn't make any difference: it still uses the same type of bridge and tuners that you would find in a standard-sized bass. Since the lower string is an octave lower than the higher one, what you should do is order a .080 for the lowest string, and then maybe the .030, .040 and .050 from this set:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ghs_3045_lsp_p.htm
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Apr 15, 2013,
.030 .040 .050 are perfect and then I could order a separate bass string in .080 as the lowest.
So the strings issue is out of the way. Lets hope that the holes for attaching the ball ends aren`t too big for the guitar strings to slip out of.

Now to the second issue. How would it be to play that bass-hybrid thing through a guitar tube amp? There won`t be too much bass so it shouldn`t hurt the speakers.

Will it sound clear almost like a guitar clean and distorted?
Fender VI are not cheap..
Danelectro baritones are about 300€ new, 450 at it's max!
Are they called Dead On`s or what were they called?
Quote by Lyrax
.030 .040 .050 are perfect and then I could order a separate bass string in .080 as the lowest.
So the strings issue is out of the way. Lets hope that the holes for attaching the ball ends aren`t too big for the guitar strings to slip out of.

Now to the second issue. How would it be to play that bass-hybrid thing through a guitar tube amp? There won`t be too much bass so it shouldn`t hurt the speakers.

Will it sound clear almost like a guitar clean and distorted?

Well those ones I selected are bass strings so that isn't much of an issue. People play F# through a guitar amp all the time. In terms of sound, it will probably sound like a guitar but with single coil pickups.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
Well those ones I selected are bass strings so that isn't much of an issue. People play F# through a guitar amp all the time. In terms of sound, it will probably sound like a guitar but with single coil pickups.

Even thou it has humbuckers in the middle position? Will it sound anything alike in the songs?
Thanks for the help so far!!
Quote by Lyrax
Even thou it has humbuckers in the middle position? Will it sound anything alike in the songs?
Thanks for the help so far!!

The thing about the P-bass pickup is it does cancel hum because of the two coils, but because they are in different positions, the strings only have one coil picking them up. The idea was it would sound like a hum-cancelling single coil. However, that isn't quite the case. What it is generally considered to sound like is a single coil but with a bit more of a beefy midrange.
EH

Cool. I`ll just have to add some bass in the EQ.
But then again, will it sound anything like a guitar or more like a thin sounding bass?
Will it sound okey distorted?
And also is it safe to play that thing through and amp?
Quote by Lyrax
Cool. I`ll just have to add some bass in the EQ.
But then again, will it sound anything like a guitar or more like a thin sounding bass?
Will it sound okey distorted?
And also is it safe to play that thing through and amp?

It's perfectly safe to play it through an amp. The other things you will have to find out for yourself
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
It's perfectly safe to play it through an amp. The other things you will have to find out for yourself

I guess I`ll have to.
But in the worst case, is it possible to install a single-coil sized humbucker for guitars into the spot of the bridge pickup? Something like this:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/high-output/hot_rails_for_s/

But then how would it work with the bass pickup circuit inside of the bass...
This seems like a lot of hassle. I think I`ll just trash this idea.
It`s better to have a guitar custom built instead.
No, dont give up. Yeah its a hassle, and you might not get exactly the sound you want, but you will have fun and get something special. Plus you will learn a ton. Start with just the string replacements, do the pickup swap after the string thing is sorted. You can put a hummie in where the single coil was with exactly the same wiring. As for distortion, everything sounds better with distortion.
Last edited by RebuildIt at Apr 25, 2013,