Page 1 of 2
Okay, so here's the timeline

4/09 - I buy a used amp and cabinet from GC's website, they are at different stores, about 3 hours after I place my order I get an email along the lines of, "The amp you ordered is in a different store than the one listed on the used item page, one of the store's managers will call you no later than tonight or tomorrow to confirm your purchase."

4/10 - no contact

4/11 - no contact

4/12 - no contact

4/13 - I had been busy with work and honestly forgot about the GC situation, I check my order and see that neither the amp nor cabinet has shipped out. I get the number for the IL store my amp was supposed to ship from and call, they tell me they were waiting for me to call, suggest I call the NY store my amp was listed as being at

I call the NY store and their manager tells me the IL manager was told to call me, but he says he'll call them ASAP and get back to me. He does so and says the IL manager will make sure it's shipped out on monday and apologizes for the delay

4/14 - I call the shop that had the cabinet I ordered and asked why it hadn't shipped yet, the manager had no good answer for me, but assured me it would ship monday

So today I give both stores phone calls and they both say my items will be shipped... Tomorrow I ask them what the hell is up and they give me the usual, "well the order had some issues with confirmation, bad inter-store communication, sorry for the issues" type thing.

So considering that UPS shipping is 4-6 business days, at best I'll be getting my shit on the 19th, if it doesn't make it here before the weekend I get it the 22nd or later. Thats 10-14 days from when I placed my order.

I don't want to be a dick, because I know being a retail/commissions employee can suck, but I'd like to complain and get my shipping reimbursed or a coupon/gift card or something... So should I voice my complaint via the online universal customer service, or do it with the store managers themselves?
Call the stores that the items are from and ask for a partial refund. Worst they can say is no.

I have had nothing but good experiences ordering from various GC stores, but I always call the store the item is in and order from them directly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would have asked for faster shipping... Too late if they really did ship it.

Next try for a free shirt or gift card.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
@Robb

I've had similarly good experiences with GC, hence why I don't wanna be like, "rabble rabble I want $1000 of free stuff." Though having worked in retail stuff myself I kind of know I would be getting my ass roasted for doing this kind of stuff, so I don't feel bad trying to get some kind of compensation

I did end up calling the store managers any how. They didn't end up refunding anything, but I will be receiving some free cables, straps and a shirt in both boxes. Good enough for me. I just wanted to know they cared
sadly this is the downside to order online. I bought an amp from GC a couple months back and that turned into a project. the amp was at my GC so I go and say ok I have a trade in ( they had one of their trade in days with bonus for trading in stuff) go through the process ok great. hmm.. better test the amp to make sure all is well. hmmm... WTF no sound coming from amp. ok they say it worked when it came in but obviously not now. they'll send it to a tech (at least this was good as it was the best guy in this area). aftr about a month the amp finally comes back. great it works. the sales guy went out of his way to get me a better deal. point being when you deal with people face to face they have to deal with the guilt. online/phone not so much. honestly your having to wait doesn't seem that bad but I would ask what they can do to make up for all the messing around you had to go through. don't expect much though.
Quote by Handy_Andy
@Robb

I've had similarly good experiences with GC, hence why I don't wanna be like, "rabble rabble I want $1000 of free stuff." Though having worked in retail stuff myself I kind of know I would be getting my ass roasted for doing this kind of stuff, so I don't feel bad trying to get some kind of compensation

I did end up calling the store managers any how. They didn't end up refunding anything, but I will be receiving some free cables, straps and a shirt in both boxes. Good enough for me. I just wanted to know they cared

Sweet!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by dngrsdave
Tie a note around a brick.

Throw brick at GC

A safer "equivalent" is walking into the store and meeting with someone face-to-face.

It's like breaking up with someone over the internet, it's easier because you don't have to see their face. But if you're getting free swag then you should be alright.
Squier Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
GFT-90
i got shit from their online site. i bought an ibby prestige 5 rating. it came, it had a retrofitted liscensed floyd, instead of the edge pro or whatever. they said they wouldn't do anything about it, they wounldn't even pay shipping for a second one i got from them. so i got screwed for $30 on shipping, and had to pay $30 for a replacement to ship.

their used section is terrible, i don't think i would do that again.

the first guitar having a tiny retrofitted floyd didn't stick out for an edge pro? really?, 5 stars?

i talked to managers at the store i bought it from, and had my rep talk to him as well as my store manager and they wouldn't do a damn thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've found that they deal with problems rather well. I recently got completely screwed by Pro Coverage. Despite a service center saying that in order for the amp to be fixed, Pro Coverage flat out refused multiple times and sent it to another center and eventually deemed everything "uneconomical" (The price of the manufacturer repair was well within the limit of liability). It was significantly more than what I originally paid if I wanted to replace the amp. Pro Coverage denied any blame, even though it was because they refused to fix it.

Anyway, I emailed GC customer service and I had a check for what I paid for the coverage from Pro Coverage in 4 days.

I think that if you are calm, level-headed, and can make a good argument for why you are being screwed over, they will listen.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

their used section is the only worthwhile thing they have
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
It's like breaking up with someone over the internet, it's easier because you don't have to see their face.

Yeah but that also means no break-up sex.

Have they got an area manager? Maybe escalate the issue to this guy? There is the chance that this issue MIGHT not be the purview of these store managers?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by TJHague
I've found that they deal with problems rather well. I recently got completely screwed by Pro Coverage. Despite a service center saying that in order for the amp to be fixed, Pro Coverage flat out refused multiple times and sent it to another center and eventually deemed everything "uneconomical" (The price of the manufacturer repair was well within the limit of liability). It was significantly more than what I originally paid if I wanted to replace the amp. Pro Coverage denied any blame, even though it was because they refused to fix it.

Anyway, I emailed GC customer service and I had a check for what I paid for the coverage from Pro Coverage in 4 days.

I think that if you are calm, level-headed, and can make a good argument for why you are being screwed over, they will listen.

I've got to be honest, I don't see an insurance company refunding your payment when you need them as a 'good deal'.

If that were the case, as soon as one got sick, instead of shelling out for care your insurance company would just give you back what you had paid thus far and send you on your way.

You got screwed and made to feel like you enjoyed it...

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i got shit from their online site. i bought an ibby prestige 5 rating. it came, it had a retrofitted liscensed floyd, instead of the edge pro or whatever. they said they wouldn't do anything about it, they wounldn't even pay shipping for a second one i got from them. so i got screwed for $30 on shipping, and had to pay $30 for a replacement to ship.

the first guitar having a tiny retrofitted floyd didn't stick out for an edge pro? really?, 5 stars?

i talked to managers at the store i bought it from, and had my rep talk to him as well as my store manager and they wouldn't do a damn thing.

Escalate it to Corporate, but be prepared for it to take a little time.

Believe me, it works. Nobody likes Daddy finding out they've been screwing the customers...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt AND the hat. (And a $1000 amp for $154)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 17, 2013,
Processing shipments takes time guy.
Don't be so damn impatient.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Arby911
I've got to be honest, I don't see an insurance company refunding your payment when you need them as a 'good deal'.

If that were the case, as soon as one got sick, instead of shelling out for care your insurance company would just give you back what you had paid thus far and send you on your way.

You got screwed and made to feel like you enjoyed it...

I never said it was a good deal. It was and still is a crappy situation as I've lost a lot of money. I've spoken with the last service center and they are also out a few hundred dollars because Pro Coverage is refusing to pay them.

All I was saying is that GC helped me to at least make the situation a little bit better. Pro Coverage is managed by a company separate for GC, so GC really had no obligation to do anything about it, but they did. I got screwed. Didn't enjoy it. Just trying to look on the bright side.
Quote by TJHague
I never said it was a good deal. It was and still is a crappy situation as I've lost a lot of money. I've spoken with the last service center and they are also out a few hundred dollars because Pro Coverage is refusing to pay them.

All I was saying is that GC helped me to at least make the situation a little bit better. Pro Coverage is managed by a company separate for GC, so GC really had no obligation to do anything about it, but they did. I got screwed. Didn't enjoy it. Just trying to look on the bright side.

I understand that but you're letting GC off too easy. They sell the Pro Coverage at their storefront, they do indeed have obligations. You've lost money and time and have not been made whole on a GC transaction that you entered into in good faith, I'd say you have a claim...

Your call of course, but there is no way I'd let it slide.
Charles Darwin
Quote by gregs1020
lots and lots of poo.

This.

It works and occasionally gets people, i.e me, fired.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Arby911
I understand that but you're letting GC off too easy. They sell the Pro Coverage at their storefront, they do indeed have obligations. You've lost money and time and have not been made whole on a GC transaction that you entered into in good faith, I'd say you have a claim...

Your call of course, but there is no way I'd let it slide.

I'm looking at other tactics now. I think I've exhausted what I'm going to get from that front. I'm just trying to be happy that I've gotten that much so far because it could be worse.

Also, I reread my initial post and apparently I suck at proofreading. I talked to the last repair center it was at today and they are the second repair center to say that it would have to be sent to the manufacturer. The necessary part simply is not available except by sending it to them. The first one said this as well and Pro Coverage just ignored when I told them this... multiple times.
Quote by Arby911

Escalate it to Corporate, but be prepared for it to take a little time.

Believe me, it works. Nobody likes Daddy finding out they've been screwing the customers...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt AND the hat. (And a $1000 amp for $154)

i have done that before with all sorts of things. for $30 its not worth it. my time is worth more than that. and what i did yielded nothing and decided not to waste more time. getting up guitar center corporate didn't really do much with GC. i tried for 15 minutes and went up the chain, but they said that is how their used gear goes, it is all AS-IS and that is how it goes. no exceptions. which as is means as in. it was an agreement in the contract like everything is.

MF is better. i got five tubes that that were packed poorly and the boxes were scrunched up. all of the tubes were fine though, but i called customer service and complained. five minutes later he says he is sending out a full set of replacements.

than two days later a random customer satisfaction (3rd party) called me. i told them i wasn't very happy in a respectful manner, and he asked if i wanted to forward my report to them. he did. at 4:00 today i was called by a MF rep doing a followup on the complaint. he said don't worry about it, i see you have replacements on the way, i am crediting your account with an extra $30 for your hassles for whatever you need. thanks.

also i price matched (all were JJ's) that came down to like $9.XX, bought three ax7's and two at7's. shy of $50. 10 JJ's for 50$. tomorrow i am going to order more tubes from them with the price match and the credit and it would be 13 JJ for $50 including the credit. all said and done.

with that it took me 20 minutes.

when the renegades were released i had shipping issues, got it brand new for $650 (when it was a $1000 amp). same thing happened with the tweaker, the guy said he couldn't go lower than cost and that is where he was at like $183 or something. i had a 1/2" thin dent on a martin, they threw me back $200. it really wouldn't have bothered me. when MF messed up that one 15% off sale when you could buy E-certificates with the discounts and using the E-certificates to buy at 15% off for the next day, bought $2000 in certificates, hell i got 30.XX% off. from GC i got a 3550MZ Prestige for less than $700 brand new. everybody does it. i am sure we all have a similar list of things.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

MF is better. i got five tubes that that were packed poorly and the boxes were scrunched up. all of the tubes were fine though, but i called customer service and complained. five minutes later he says he is sending out a full set of replacements.

than two days later a random customer satisfaction (3rd party) called me. i told them i wasn't very happy in a respectful manner, and he asked if i wanted to forward my report to them. he did. at 4:00 today i was called by a MF rep doing a followup on the complaint. he said don't worry about it, i see you have replacements on the way, i am crediting your account with an extra $30 for your hassles for whatever you need. thanks.

MF will (almost) always be better to deal with than GC, even though they are effectively the same company, since GC has a huge storefront overhead that MF doesn't, giving MF vastly more leeway per transaction.

It's been told to me that MF is actually the warehouse function of GC and that they simply slapped an ordering frontend on it to make it a profit center. I don't KNOW if that's the case, but it makes sense to me.
Charles Darwin
Actually MF, Guitar Center and Music 123 are owned by the same company (I think Same Day music is also with them)

I use all 3 and I also really like ZZounds.com, American musical supply
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Actually MF, Guitar Center and Music 123 are owned by the same company (I think Same Day music is also with them)

I use all 3 and I also really like ZZounds.com, American musical supply

Yeah, GC bought MF, MF later bought M123.

IIRC, Same Day is not a part of the GC group (But is affiliated with ZZounds and AMS), but I may be wrong.
Charles Darwin
Several years ago, I went into the GC in Reno, Nevada.
I wanted to get an Eminence Ragin Cagin for my Vox Valvetronix AD30VT.
They didn't have it in stock.
Numerous phone calls and 4+ weeks later, it came in.
So I get my JCM2000 DSL100 today

and it doesn't freaking work, I'm 99% sure it's just a broken input jack, but it's still kind of lame after going through a bit of trouble getting it, I'm gonna return it at my local GC and get my money back, gonna make sure I make any future orders via calling the store that has what I want, I think it'd be less error prone :s
Quote by Handy_Andy

and it doesn't freaking work, I'm 99% sure it's just a broken input jack, but it's still kind of lame after going through a bit of trouble getting it, I'm gonna return it at my local GC and get my money back, gonna make sure I make any future orders via calling the store that has what I want, I think it'd be less error prone :s

That freaking sucks...

Why do you think it's the input jack?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I checked the cab, cables and guitar and they were good. Next step was making sure tubes were in, power cord connected correctly, etc etc. I checked the fuses and they were fine.

Then I noticed that I didn't get scratchy sounds from the speakers when I touched the other end of a patch cable I had plugged into the input jack. Usually if you touch the end it produces a distinctive gkrkrksksshsh sound.

I could probably do a short video once I get off work showing my troubleshooting though, in case I'm just dumb and did something wrong >__>
Quote by Handy_Andy
I checked the cab, cables and guitar and they were good. Next step was making sure tubes were in, power cord connected correctly, etc etc. I checked the fuses and they were fine.

Then I noticed that I didn't get scratchy sounds from the speakers when I touched the other end of a patch cable I had plugged into the input jack. Usually if you touch the end it produces a distinctive gkrkrksksshsh sound.

I could probably do a short video once I get off work showing my troubleshooting though, in case I'm just dumb and did something wrong >__>

Have you plugged your guitar cable into the FX return jack? Try this if you get sound with your guitar, the preamp section is dodgy. If you get no sound, the power section is messed up.

I have an older DSL100 and I actually had part of the powersection blow and have to be rewired. This was about 2 months after I bought it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Have you plugged your guitar cable into the FX return jack? Try this if you get sound with your guitar, the preamp section is dodgy. If you get no sound, the power section is messed up.

I have an older DSL100 and I actually had part of the powersection blow and have to be rewired. This was about 2 months after I bought it

Yeah. The FX loop is a godsend for diagnosis.

Everything lights up on the switches? Do you see the tubes glow?

If crank the volume you don't hear anything from the speakers?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Handy_Andy

damn. that sucks. i am getting even more leery of GC's used department.

i hope you have better luck than i have had.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by dngrsdave
Tie a note around a brick.

Throw brick at GC

Try making a suggestion to do something more.... I dunno...... legal, next time?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Apr 19, 2013,
Plugging my guitar into the return jack = sound, none of the front knobs effect anything.

so what does this mean? I get the feeling that's a worse problem than the input jack being bad.
Quote by Handy_Andy
Plugging my guitar into the return jack = sound, none of the front knobs effect anything.

so what does this mean? I get the feeling that's a worse problem than the input jack being bad.

So you could hear it? Maybe a preamp tube then. Do you have a spare? They are 10 bucks.

Does the input jack feel funny?

Have you seated and un seated the preamp tube? (pull them out and then reinstall them)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Yes, I could hear it. I'm letting it cool down a bit before I mess with the tubes. As far as I could tell, two of the preamp tubes were NOT glowing. I have a couple spares laying about that I'll try if they aren't just loose.

And no, the input jack feels fine. It was just my conclusion because everything else seemed 100%
Tried the 4 stock tubes and 2 spares in about 10 different configurations, no luck.

Edit: I mistook a dead set of preamp tubes for my spares, my real spares were in a cheap crate amp I had, used them to test and found the phase inverter in the jcm2000 was the culprit, it works now
Last edited by Handy_Andy at Apr 19, 2013,
Quote by Handy_Andy
Tried the 4 stock tubes and 2 spares in about 10 different configurations, no luck.

Edit: I mistook a dead set of preamp tubes for my spares, my real spares were in a cheap crate amp I had, used them to test and found the phase inverter in the jcm2000 was the culprit, it works now

All good? Get some JJ's up in that bitch. Eurotubes or tubedepot. Tube depot was having a sale earlier this week, not sure if its still going on.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Awesome, good news indeed. Marshalls for everyone!

TS, as R45VT said, JJ is the way to go on most any Marshall, as far as cheap tubes go.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Awesome, good news indeed. Marshalls for everyone!

TS, as R45VT said, JJ is the way to go on most any Marshall, as far as cheap tubes go.

Yeah JJ's for preamp. If you can afford sed=C= get those for the power amp. If not, then JJ's.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I went with all JJs, full set for <$100 on tube depot. The other stock tubes work, but I can tell they're pretty old. The amp is from 2003 and they're all stock "marshall" tubes.
Page 1 of 2