My Guitar: Ibanez S470, stock.
Amp: Blackstar HT5 mini stack

Basically I'm toying with getting a new amp (probably an Egnater Rebel 20), or getting a Fulltone OCD/Tubescreamer to drive the preamp of the HT5.

The sound I'm thinking of specifically is a modern rock/metal sound. Think Velvet Revolver to Lostprophets to Killswitch engage.

Any advice on what to do?

TM
i'd have said a tubescreamer would work better for that than an ocd.

however, the amp needs to have a fair bit of gain already for that to work. also the ht5 has some solid state stuff already in the preamp so you'd need to be sure it'd work. not saying it definitely won't, but it'd be worth trying first.

i haven't tried the rebel so I don't know how heavy it gets.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i would go amp, but i don't know if you would have enough money in your budget to really step up.

i am really not a fan of OCD's, i actually own one, it sees occasional use, but it doesn't get along well with a lot of amps. and it has a lot of gain. i would never advise on unless you were to at least try one, hopefully on a similar amp or better yet the amp you have got. i have several other OD's and the OCD gets by far the least usage.

what is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Don't get the Rebel. I have a Rebel 30 combo and I love it but it's definitely not made for that kind of sound. It might be able to kinda pull it off with the gain cranked pretty high but if that's the type of stuff you play I'd look into a different amp. Of course, if you want to get an amp AND overdrive pedal, the Rebel would be a good choice.

On the other hand, I like the OCD a lot (don't own one but wouldn't mind it). It could probably pull off those sounds with your amp but I still think you could find something more geared towards that modern rock/metal tone.
I liked the Rebel I played, actually I liked it alot. But I think you will pass it up for the same reason I did. I felt like it didn't have enough edge or hair to it, even when cranked. But that was back when I was coming off a 6505+. Now I don't know how I'd feel, after spending so much time giggin with my DSL I've learned that I can do without the hair, especially in a live setting.

As for the ocd, I have a love hate relationship. It was awesome with my peavey, but with the dsl its not hitting its mark. It was a very good boost, though it did change the sound a bit. And when I used it just as a distortion pedal on the dsl it sounded hollow and fake. That said, I've used it as a back up pedal many times and it ruled. That's the only reason I still keep it. It is a very good back up.

I second Matts last statement. Budget?
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Budget isn't high, like £350 max. Basically if I'm after an upgrade it will require selling some of what I have, so its pretty dependant on how much I can get for it.

The Rebel with a boost I think would get me where I need. This is a long term thing so I'm not fussed about waiting for stuff. The thing about the Rebel I like is the variable wattage thing. As I play lots of different genres normally I'm also looking for something that'll fit there too. The most use it would get is in church at the moment.

Interesting to hear it won't do heavier stuff though, bit of a shame!

What would your recommendations be amp wise? I'll have to go out and play them obviously. Same with the OD, I was thinking of just buying both and keeping the one I like.

Thanks for your feedback!
TM
Quote by tim_mop
The thing about the Rebel I like is the variable wattage thing.

Just so you know, the variable wattage knob barely affects the amp's volume. It really just controls the amount of headroom you have on each channel.
Quote by mattrusso
Just so you know, the variable wattage knob barely affects the amp's volume. It really just controls the amount of headroom you have on each channel.

it really doesn't do anything major, not even minor. same thing goes for the renegade's tube mix knobs, there is a small change, but both are gimmicky.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I'd recommend a jet city jca22h assuming your ht-5 is a head. They also sell them in combo, but I think that'd be too much, unless you go used. Disregard this option though if you want fender/sterile cleans.
Well it must do something! Even the ISF on the HT5 makes a noticeable change.

I'm assuming lowering the headroom means lowering the volume needed to saturate the poweramp tubes. Which suggests that I won't need to turn it up as loud.

Interesting that it doesn't appear to do anything. I definitely need to have a go with it for myself before doing anything.

What other amps would you recommend? Lets ignore price (a bit) for the moment and I'll say anything up to £1k.
Quote by HammerParty
I'd recommend a jet city jca22h assuming your ht-5 is a head. They also sell them in combo, but I think that'd be too much, unless you go used. Disregard this option though if you want fender/sterile cleans.

I certainly appreciate slightly brighter cleans. What I've heard of Jet city is that its pretty much a heavy voiced amp and not much else. Worth a play though! Thanks for the suggestion
the jca22h has two gain channels and no clean IIRC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The crunch has a more of a hot rodded marshall clean at lower setting 1-4 preamp The headroom isn't a lot, but it's workable unless cranked. The second channel though, amazing high gain distortion. But yeah, the clean bit is a bit bright, you also have a presence control as well.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it really doesn't do anything major, not even minor. same thing goes for the renegade's tube mix knobs, there is a small change, but both are gimmicky.

I don't know, I actually like the tube mix knob. Usually it's either directly in the middle or all the way to one side. I feel like the change in tone is pretty significant. You're right about the wattage, though, that was kind of disappointing.
thomann seems to be getting the jet cities back in at pretty sweet prices. the 50 watt head is gonna be ~£250 (probably a little more by the time your credit card rips you on the exchange rate). they also do the harley benton g212 vintage which is a pretty nice speaker cabinet (with vintage 30s) for ~£160. Little over budget, but if you can stretch at all, that'd be the thing to do. EDIT: they also do the 22h (which has the same preamp as the 50 watter, as far as i'm aware, though i haven't tried it) for ~£210 if you really can't stretch. But for the extra £40, I'd rather have the 50 watter, I think the bigger bottle power tubes work better for metal than el84s. As i said, though, i haven't tried it and that might be nonsense.

also you'd need a speaker cable, too. You should be able to get a nice speaker cable for ~£10 from the likes of award session or kabl (i'm sure thomann does them too if you just want to get it all from the one place).

Quote by tim_mop
I certainly appreciate slightly brighter cleans. What I've heard of Jet city is that its pretty much a heavy voiced amp and not much else. Worth a play though! Thanks for the suggestion

I wouldn't say that... it's definitely on the more modern side of things, but you can dial in pretty nice lower gain tones on the normal channel, and reasonable cleans (if you don't mind "not-totally-pristine" cleans).

at your budget you don't have a lot of options- obviously if your main concern is the lower gain tones, then don't get the jet city. But if high gain is your main concern and you just want some occasional lower gain tones as well... get the jet city. It's far better than anything else in your pricerange for high gain tones. It's a budget soldano FFS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 16, 2013,
The HT-5 can do those band - especially with a boost. I'd keep the HT-5, get the OCD and upgrade the amp later (the OCD will still be useful when you upgrade).
Dave, the G212 is definitely on the cards for later! I'll have to try out the Jet city then! Hopefully there's a shop nearby that has it.

667, this is probably what I'll end up doing! Boost first, amp later. Selling stuff is always a hassle! Will the OCD tighten the gain of the HT5? Or is that something a TS would do better? Its pretty hairy at the moment!
I use a Maxon OD808 (similar to TS9) w/my HT-5 and it tightens up well.

I'd go with a OCD though. OCD's have more gain on tap and can be set more aggressive.

My favorite is the Hardwire CM-2 (evolution of the Bad Monkey). The Bad Monkey is great too. These pedals give you a two band active EQ as opposed to just a tone.
Last edited by 667 at Apr 16, 2013,
bear in mind in europe an OCD is over half the price of that jet city amp... granted you need a speaker cab with the jet city too for it to work, but it's worth bearing in mind.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an OCD and can vouch for it. It's a great little pedal. That said, it doesn't color your tone a whole lot - more it allows your guitar and amp's natural tone to come through and gives it some extra zing. If you're not happy with your amp the OCD won't improve things all that much.

A good rule of thumb in general is to be happy with your amp first. Your guitar and amp are the shape and outline for your entire tone. You use pedals to tweak things and "color in the lines."
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by trashedlostfdup

The tube mix knob doesn't have much of an effect unless the amp is cranked hard. The two tube types sound very similar at low to medium volume -- you need to get them to really start breaking up in order for there to be a big difference in tone.