Page 1 of 2
Hey I have a budget of around $800 for a good tube amp. I have a Fender Stratocaster (American standard) guitar.

Right now I'm looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Fender Blues Junior or Deluxe but I'm worried they arent versatile enough. I was thinking I could always get pedals. I'm not sure how good pedals really are I never have used them before. If anyone has experience with pedals can you actually get some good tones from pedals? Mostly like distortion is what I would be lacking with an amp like a blues junior so can you get good

I play SRV, Jimmi Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, but also sometimes classic rock like GNR and things that need more distortion. Can anyone recommend me a more versatile tube amp that could kind of work for things like GNR but still sound good for blues.
EVH 5150III mini
Fender Supersonic 22
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Krank Chadwick 2x12

You'll have to go used on some of them, but they would all work good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a blues jr. and can tell you with a strat it does a pretty good SRV and Jimi without any pedals, tho for Jimi you'll def want to get a fuzz pedal. I have an analogman sunface and it kills with the blues jr, very Dave Gilmour. Deep purple you'd probably need something more british. If you could find a reasonably priced cab maybe a Mesa TA-15. Theyre extraordinarily versatile.
Peavy 6505+ 112 combo, amazing Metal amp, also works well for rock.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Peavy 6505+ 112 combo, amazing Metal amp, also works well for rock.

The guy says he likes Jimi and SRV and you tell him to get a 6505... Only on UG
Hmm... a 6505+ 112 isn't a bad idea, mine sounds pretty good run clean with my Fender Strat... but, in my opinion, I'd track down a used Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. You should be able to get one for $800. Then use a pedal to push higher gain tone.

...also, a second vote for the Supersonic 22.
Quote by GonzoBeatz

You'd be surprised, the 6L6 tubes do push a good clean. I was surprised by the tone I get out of my Strat into my 6505+ combo. It's impressive.

The internet is why people hate on 6505+ clean. It's just not accurate however.

Still, a Fender tube amp is a better choice all around.
I would never suggest a 5150/6505 for anything that requires mid gain or less.

People hate on the cleans, because they are not that great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would never suggest a 5150/6505 for anything that requires mid gain or less.

People hate on the cleans, because they are not that great

Well, there are better choices... many many better choices in fact lol

But, they can pull it off alright, it just takes more time.
Quote by GonzoBeatz

It was either that suggestion or "Save some more money for a Mesa Boogie."

Quote by 6505fiz
Well, there are better choices... many many better choices in fact lol

But, they can pull it off alright, it just takes more time.

If there are 'many many better choices in fact,' why would you suggest a 6505 in the first place? I hope you work for Peavey.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 15, 2013,
Egnater Rebel/Renegade
Marshall DSLs
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The Fender Blues Deluxe (used) would provide enough money to get a fuzz pedal like the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz, which would make your amp set up versatile enough...
Traynor makes some really solid tubes amps, similar tone to a Marshal and a few voice closer to Fender.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Bugera BC-30! By far the best amp for its price. It is modeled after the old Voxs from the 60's. You can play everything from BB King and Muddy Waters to Zeppelin and Stones to Rush, Black Sabbath and Van Halen. You can also manipulate channel blending as well. Seriously, check it out.
Quote by rock-n-roll101
Bugera BC-30! By far the best amp for its price. It is modeled after the old Voxs from the 60's. You can play everything from BB King and Muddy Waters to Zeppelin and Stones to Rush, Black Sabbath and Van Halen. You can also manipulate channel blending as well. Seriously, check it out.

I have a Bugera head/cabinet deal that cost me about $600 all together, and I'd definitely recommend their amps as well. Very groovy, vintage sound.
I think the Marshall DSL will be able to hit all of the artist you listed pretty well. I used to have one and it's incredible versatile. Unless your doing thrash metal or something in that ballpark, it will work for whatever you're playing. The only artist you mentioned that aren't actually known for their Marshall sound are SRV and Skynyrd, and even they used Marshalls at some point in their career.

I also like the Supersonic 22. Very underrated amp IMO. That would also get you in the ballpark.

I would stay away from the 6505. I'm a bluesy-rock kinda guy and while they can do crunch, the Marshall will blow them out of the water in that department.

You're going to want pedals to refine your sound. Like stuntman chris said, no matter what amp you get, you're gonna need a fuzz for Hendrix, a tubescreamer for SRV, etc. I think a Marshall would give you the best base sound and you could get pedals to modify the sound toward a particular artist.
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Blackstar HT are awesome
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Quote by Heideck
Blackstar HT are awesome

I did not like the ones I have tried, too fizzy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by srvstrat
Hey I have a budget of around $800 for a good tube amp. I have a Fender Stratocaster (American standard) guitar.

Right now I'm looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Fender Blues Junior or Deluxe but I'm worried they arent versatile enough. I was thinking I could always get pedals. I'm not sure how good pedals really are I never have used them before. If anyone has experience with pedals can you actually get some good tones from pedals? Mostly like distortion is what I would be lacking with an amp like a blues junior so can you get good

I play SRV, Jimmi Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, but also sometimes classic rock like GNR and things that need more distortion. Can anyone recommend me a more versatile tube amp that could kind of work for things like GNR but still sound good for blues.

Where in the world do you live and do you gig? Or just home practice?

Personally I think the DSLs are highly flexible.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Thank you to everyone who replied! I've read all the comments and I'm looking up a bunch of amps now

Quote by R45VT
Where in the world do you live and do you gig? Or just home practice?

Personally I think the DSLs are highly flexible.

OH yeah I forgot to mention I don't think I'm going to be gigging anytime soon this is just for home practice.
Last edited by srvstrat at Apr 15, 2013,
supersonic 60 watt combo.

2 clean channel options to cover the SRV stuff and a gain side that can do a decent enough slush tone.

should be $600 ish used.
the Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 looks great so does the DSL40c but I'm confused what the difference is between them. which one would you guys recommend?

Also I have never even heard of the fender super sonic amp but it looks great aswell I am definitely gonna check out both these amps when I goto my music store soon.
the DSL40c is a new amp, the jcm2000 DSL401 is a discontinued amp.

great amps but they won't do the fender clean you want as well as the supersonic.

def try them though.

the egnater renegade is another good suggestion, as is the egnater tweaker 40 watt combo.
Quote by 6505fiz

You'd be surprised, the 6L6 tubes do push a good clean. I was surprised by the tone I get out of my Strat into my 6505+ combo. It's impressive.

Lies.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by srvstrat
the Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 looks great so does the DSL40c but I'm confused what the difference is between them. which one would you guys recommend?

Also I have never even heard of the fender super sonic amp but it looks great aswell I am definitely gonna check out both these amps when I goto my music store soon.

We can show you some used options if you tell us the closest city.

The DSL401 has a master volume and sounds pretty damn good at lower volume.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 16, 2013,
Quote by 6505fiz

The internet is why people hate on 6505+ clean. It's just not accurate however.

Still, a Fender tube amp is a better choice all around.

no. its the people who own/d them. i owned a 6505+ head for a while. just no.

that is not at all what he is looking for.

something fendery is what you are looking for. consider looking at silver faces and black faces (not sure if in budget), see what you like.

i have a 1968 AB165 bassman that is great.

supersonic and renegade aren't bad options.

i had a renegade, you can get quite a bit out of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 16, 2013,
Hey now... I even said there are many better choices. Thing is, I am sitting in front of a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a 6505+ right now. Sure the Fender sounds better clean, but if all I had was my 6505+, I could work with it.

Seriously, especially when mixed with a little compression and an external EQ, the cleans are not bad.

Sometimes you only end up with one amp, I can work with this.
It depends on whether you're just playing at home or live, but I'd say Marshall Class 5 with a fuzz + wah pedal if you're at home or some kind of 18 watt Bluesbreaker-esque type amp.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by 6505fiz
Thing is, I am sitting in front of a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a 6505+ right now. Sure the Fender sounds better clean, but if all I had was my 6505+, I could work with it.

can you make the 6505 sounds like the DRRI?
I would get a used Cornford Roadhouse. If the guy is looking at Fender amps to start with, I'm not sure a 5150/6505 is the right advice to be giving him.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Why has no one recommended an AC30 or AC15?

In my opinion that's a no brainer for the kind of music he's going for. For the harder rock (GNR etc) just stick a suhr riot in front or something. The AC30's distortion will absolutely own for the classic rock part, and the cleans are comparable to DRRI's.

I'M NOT BEING BIAS. I SWEAR.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by gregs1020
can you make the 6505 sounds like the DRRI?

Haha... of course not, but I can't make the DRRI sound like a 6505 either.

BUT, having a DRRI doesn't mean I can't enjoy or work with the cleans I get from 6505, nor does it mean I can't push a metal zone in front of my DRRI and distort the hell out of my playing.

My point is simple, IF you're stuck with one amp and one amp only, and that amp happens to for whatever reason be a 6505, the cleans are usable. Are they anything special? No, but they will work.
Quote by 6505fiz
Haha... of course not, but I can't make the DRRI sound like a 6505 either.

BUT, having a DRRI doesn't mean I can't enjoy or work with the cleans I get from 6505, nor does it mean I can't push a metal zone in front of my DRRI and distort the hell out of my playing.

My point is simple, IF you're stuck with one amp and one amp only, and that amp happens to for whatever reason be a 6505, the cleans are usable. Are they anything special? No, but they will work.

Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend it to TS. He won't be playing any metal. This is pretty much the same as "can SSS Strat do metal"? Of course it can but there are a lot better options and if extreme metal is the only style you play, I wouldn't recommend an SSS Strat. So 6505 may have OK cleans but TS is going to play music with clean/light overdrive sound so I would recommend an amp that does that great. And I'm sure 6505 isn't an amp that does that sound great and in the same price range there are a lot better amps for that sound so I would rather recommend them. Remember that TS doesn't have a 6505 so he doesn't have to settle for its clean/overdrive sound.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
ok so if the TS is ever on a deserted island with a 6505 he'll use that.

until then...
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend it to TS. He won't be playing any metal. This is pretty much the same as "can SSS Strat do metal"? Of course it can but there are a lot better options and if extreme metal is the only style you play, I wouldn't recommend an SSS Strat. So 6505 may have OK cleans but TS is going to play music with clean/light overdrive sound so I would recommend an amp that does that great. And I'm sure 6505 isn't an amp that does that sound great and in the same price range there are a lot better amps for that sound so I would rather recommend them. Remember that TS doesn't have a 6505 so he doesn't have to settle for its clean/overdrive sound.

Yeah, alright... except read the thread, I never suggested the 6505+ is the right choice for the OP.

I suggested amps that make sense, the 6505 was suggested by another poster.

My opinion remains simple, the 6505 is not the amp for the OP, period. However, if it was all he had, or all he could buy (whatever reason), the cleans can be worked with, they're not as bad as the internet often suggests. (in my opinion)

It's like going over to the Axe FX forum and asking for an opinion on Line 6 products... we all know that Line 6 makes good enough products for most peoples uses, and in fact, good enough for most live situations, but the users of an Axe FX will belittle and berate the products like they're pieces of crap that not only sound terrible, but will murder your family in the middle of the night.

It seems on musicians forums we all lose perspective far too often.
Last edited by 6505fiz at Apr 16, 2013,
Quote by 6505fiz
Yeah, alright... except read the thread, I never suggested the 6505+ is the right choice for the OP.

I suggested amps that make sense, the 6505 was suggested by another poster.

My opinion remains simple, the 6505 is not the amp for the OP, period. However, if it was all he had, or all he could buy (whatever reason), the cleans can be worked with, they're not as bad as the internet often suggests. (in my opinion)

It's like going over to the Axe FX forum and asking for an opinion on Line 6 products... we all know that Line 6 makes good enough products for most peoples uses, and in fact, good enough for most live situations, but the users of an Axe FX will belittle and berate the products like they're pieces of crap that not only sound terrible, but will murder your family in the middle of the night.

It seems on musicians forums we all lose perspective far too often.

Yeah, I understand and you are right. But it kind of seemed like you were defending the 6505 recommendation. And by defending the suggestion you might give TS that kind of feeling that it's a good amp for him. So that's why people started arguing against your points.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, I understand and you are right. But it kind of seemed like you were defending the 6505 recommendation. And by defending the suggestion you might give TS that kind of feeling that it's a good amp for him. So that's why people started arguing against your points.

Agreed, and understood... reading back I see how that impression might have come across.

But to be clear, for the OP, the 6505 is not the first choice he should make.

The 6505 is capable of providing clean tones, but nothing on the level of dozens of other amplifiers out there in the same price range. I stick by my used DRRI suggestion, or even a Princeton. GREAT amps. Stupid clean cleans.
my '63 vibroverb reissue could pull off a decent enough slash toan with a fulldrive 2 out front.

would be perfect for everything else.
I have owned tons of amps and have tried many more and really like the Burgera V22, I have been toying with getting rid of my Fender Hot Rod deluxe and getting the v22 and pocketing a little cash as it sounds so similar but gets a bit better overdrive tone IMO than the Hot Rod. I also was really surprised by the Fender Mustang III V2 and like the idea of the amplifi 150 by line 6.
Page 1 of 2